PDA

View Full Version : Background

swank
03-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Ive been reading ,that some will paint the back of there tanks ,for a back ground. Im have a hard time doing this if at all, paid some cash for the 125 and really dont want to ruin the back of the tank by painting it.. Any ideas what a person should do or should I just get the normal background paper at the local pet stores?:D:)

yikesjason
03-10-2010, 11:15 PM
regular latex house paint comes off of glass very easily. Just mask it off and paint away. Spray paint is probably easier, but might not come off as easily, but a razor blade will clean either off without difficulty.

mench
03-11-2010, 12:27 PM
What I have done in the past is either use ths colored thin foam insulation from Home Depot or I have also gone to a sign shop around town and bought some of the vynal (sp) that they use for making signs..it comes in all sizes and colors..I just tape it on the back of the tanks.nice and easy

mench

keno
03-11-2010, 01:20 PM
A blue background from your LFS is the way to go

Darrell Ward
03-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Ive been reading ,that some will paint the back of there tanks ,for a back ground. Im have a hard time doing this if at all, paid some cash for the 125 and really dont want to ruin the back of the tank by painting it.. Any ideas what a person should do or should I just get the normal background paper at the local pet stores?:D:)

No need to paint. Go to Lowes or other hardware store, and get a big roll of foam shelf liner made for lining tool box drawers and such. Clear package tape will hold it on nicely. Then, you can change it easily if you want. It comes in several colors. This is black on my 150...

MikeF
03-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Darrell, I love that tank. I used to have one of those about a year ago, but sold it. When I see pictures of your tank, I miss mine.

Darrell Ward
03-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Darrell, I love that tank. I used to have one of those about a year ago, but sold it. When I see pictures of your tank, I miss mine.

Thanks. This is my favorite tank. It's the perfect size for discus.

Justice
03-11-2010, 05:23 PM
On one of my tanks I painted my least favorite side of a background that I bought at a LFS (bought long enough to cover sides too) a color called Spa Blue (can spray paint by Rustolium from Home Depot) so that I can remove it if i wish.

That makes going back to a unpainted tank fast and easy.

spyder329
03-11-2010, 05:26 PM
No need to paint. Go to Lowes or other hardware store, and get a big roll of foam shelf liner made for lining tool box drawers and such. Clear package tape will hold it on nicely. Then, you can change it easily if you want. It comes in several colors. This is black on my 150...

Darrell, if you do not mind me asking what lights are you using? Sorry for the Newbie questions, your tank just looks stunning and it has a black background..

Darrell Ward
03-11-2010, 05:57 PM
It's just a standard 48" single bulb fluorescent strip light that came with the tank.

Jhhnn
03-11-2010, 08:22 PM
I like to insulate my tanks, so I use 1/2" foil covered rigid insulation from home depot cut to size, and then painted or covered in vinyl upholstery fabric... Tape it on w/ 2" clear packing tape.

White styrofoam insulation works well, too, except spray paint eats it up...

swank
03-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Darrell, Ive read on some post ,that if you have black background, you may get some peppering on your discus. Do u ever have that problem? btw, thanks a snap of a tank..:thumbsup:

DonMD
03-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Here's the background on my 125 gallon. As for peppering, I think it depends mostly on the fish. Your background may result in slightly more pepper on a fish that is prone to that. You'll just have to try something.

Good luck!

Darrell Ward
03-12-2010, 06:51 PM
I agree with Don. I think the whole showing more pepper with a dark background thing has everything to do with the fish. The pigeons in my 150 are clean, they don't show pepper anyway, and the sapphires have deep blue color. When I put the background on, it was because I had the material already. I put it on to try, no problems, so I left it on. Your mileage may vary. :D

Nice fish Don.