PDA

View Full Version : Nervous...Can someone please explain airport to airport shipping? NY

ValorG
03-11-2010, 01:24 AM
Hi everyone, I'm getting a breeding pair of discus tomorrow and its being shipped airport to airport here to JFK NY. I'm very nervous as I have never picked up fish from the airport. Can someone please explain to me what I need to know/bring before going to pick them up? They will be shipped on Delta.

Chad Hughes
03-11-2010, 01:36 AM
Hi everyone, I'm getting a breeding pair of discus tomorrow and its being shipped airport to airport here to JFK NY. I'm very nervous as I have never picked up fish from the airport. Can someone please explain to me what I need to know/bring before going to pick them up? They will be shipped on Delta.

Your discus are being shipped as passengers on a plane, but they get to sit in the cargo hold. You will have to pick them up at the cargo hold area of the terminal at the flight arival time. The shipper should be able to give you all the details. If you aren;t there when the package arrives, they SHOULD call you.

Hope that helps!

ValorG
03-11-2010, 01:43 AM
Your discus are being shipped as passengers on a plane, but they get to sit in the cargo hold. You will have to pick them up at the cargo hold area of the terminal at the flight arival time. The shipper should be able to give you all the details. If you aren;t there when the package arrives, they SHOULD call you.

Hope that helps!

That does help, thank you.

Chad Hughes
03-11-2010, 01:46 AM
Anytime! I hope all goes well.

Discusgeo2
03-11-2010, 02:25 AM
Before you leave the shipper should have sent you an airway bill number. Log onto Delta cargo and use that number to check the status of your flight before leaving for the airport. The fish usually get into the cargo area about 1 hour after the plane arrives. Make sure you have some ID with you because you will have to sign for them.

ValorG
03-11-2010, 02:52 AM
Before you leave the shipper should have sent you an airway bill number. Log onto Delta cargo and use that number to check the status of your flight before leaving for the airport. The fish usually get into the cargo area about 1 hour after the plane arrives. Make sure you have some ID with you because you will have to sign for them.

OOO great info! I appreciate it.

DiscusOnly
03-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Make sure you find out the front desk operation hour at the cargo area. I never picked up at JFK but in Philly, they close after a certain time late at night. You probably need to give them about 45 minutes after the flight has arrived.

RichT
03-11-2010, 09:29 AM
I just recently picked up fish at JFK. They should have them at cargo about 20 min after flight arrival. They were very nice and went out of their way to find my box. Bring photo ID because they will take a picture of you and your ID.
It's not bad at all driving around back there either.

Have fun
Rich

mmorris
03-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Be sure to be there on time. The cargo hold area is probably really cold.

ValorG
03-11-2010, 11:42 AM
I got the airbill and I am now pretty confident that all will be well because of the information you guys gave me. :) Thank you so much for helping alleviate the stress.

Jhhnn
03-11-2010, 08:41 PM
I was apprehensive myself when I received fish aircargo via Southwest just recently. Piece of cake- followed the signs at DIA & the people were more than nice- showed 'em my ID, paid with a credit card- zip, out the door & right back to the casa...

Next time, I'll show up an hour after the flight is supposed to land, just so I don't have to hang out... the ramps at DIA are a long way from the aircargo facilities, and they need some time to sort it out, get the box back to their shop...

Hope it went well for you today...

ValorG
03-11-2010, 11:49 PM
I picked them up no probs, but when I got home, the female of the breeding pair was dead. :( The bag was really deflated so she must of ran out of air. I found a tiny hole in the bag. She was the bigger and better looking of the pair too.... which is what really annoys me.

Well I contacted the seller and he said he would ship me another female and I dont have to pay shipping, that was pretty cool.

I paid a lot for them because they were a pair that knew how to raise their fry so now its like I'm buying 2 adults and have to hope they pair up. *super sad face* I just hope the female I'm getting is a female.

April
03-13-2010, 11:17 AM
oh..thats sad....id ask him if the female lays and raises..otherwise the value wouldnt be the same..it can happen..did he have a couple layers of bags and paper between?
their fins can break a bag with one flick of their hard rays.

ValorG
03-13-2010, 07:22 PM
oh..thats sad....id ask him if the female lays and raises..otherwise the value wouldnt be the same..it can happen..did he have a couple layers of bags and paper between?
their fins can break a bag with one flick of their hard rays.

Ya he had all of that. I dont know if he was trying to prevent the bags possibly exploding in lower pressures up in the air but all the bags were not inflated all the way, only about 3/4 of the way filled. However if this isn't the right way to bag fish, I guess he just isnt that good at bagging.

mmorris
03-14-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm really sorry to hear about the fish. How many heat packs were in the box, and how long did they sit in the airport?

ValorG
03-14-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about the fish. How many heat packs were in the box, and how long did they sit in the airport?

There was two heat packs and they were only traveling for 8-9 hours. He shipped them the same day I picked them up.

Discus-Hans
03-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Those things are always sad, but it happens :sad: It's a risk seller and buyer take if you buy from a distance.

We also never make the bags like balloons to prevent them from "popping" so that's a good thing.

I think the seller did his best by replacing AND not charging you for shipping.

We put 3 x 8mill bags and a black thick sleeve between the bags and some still go trough the bags.

This is one of the reasons why I like to ship FULL boxes (we've 3 sizes now) if a bag leaks, the water has not much space to go to and there most of the time will be enough water left to safe the fish.

Hans

ockyra215
03-14-2010, 01:49 PM
I have always a feeling of what if when I ordered fish in the past.You never know if your going to get them alive and if they are dead well thats another fight that no one wants to deal with.But I only had one time when I got fish from a guy and it was dead.But he made good on the deal I never bought pairs from anyone unless I see them and person and help bag them up and drive them home!Well hope it works out for you,how about a picture of the new couple!:D