PDA

View Full Version : Urgent!!! parents fighting over eggs!!!

aussiefish
03-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Hi All
I have a bit of a problem and dont know how to resolve it. My breeding pair are fighting over a batch of eggs layed yesterday morning or during that night and are now beating the crap out of each other. They have layed the eggs on the glass of the tank down near the bottom, in the middle of the back wall. Each fish is on either side of the eggs and flinching forward at each other, and if one gets closer to the eggs than the other they bite one another and generally chase and fight each other off!!! I do not think that if the eggs hatch that this will be good for the wrigglers, but I dont know what to do. ?????:confused::confused::confused::confused::conf used:

William Palumbo
03-11-2010, 10:08 AM
You need to seperate them, and just leave one parent with the eggs. Which parent is up to you. This behaviour will only get worst as they become wriggling/freeswimming...Bill

bluedimond123
03-11-2010, 05:42 PM
But you dont necessarily need to take one out if the tank is big enough you could get a divider.
Jeff

aussiefish
03-12-2010, 06:15 AM
Hi All
The breeding tank is only 16 gallons (72 ltr) so I whink it is to small to divide, so my only other option is to move the male (he is the most aggressive) to my community tank (75 gallon or 330 ltr). Will he be ok, it has 6 discus ranging from 2.5 '' to 5 '' he is about 5''-6'' in size. The femal seems to be the most attentive and as I have just got home they seem to have hatched in to wrigglers. She is trying to pick the fallen ones up and blow them back on to the glass, he is trying to keep her away and do it himself but he is not as good at it as her.

aussiefish
03-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Fighting between parents has stopped as they are now busy trying to pick up wrigglers of the tank floor and spit them back on to the glass. They seem to working as a team now:):) Hope it will continue.

mmorris
03-12-2010, 06:40 PM
16 gallons? Kinda small...