PDA

View Full Version : Southern California Discus Meeting, Summer 2010!

Chad Hughes
03-11-2010, 02:28 PM
OK.... after seeing all the fun that Al and the folks in the Northeast are having with their discus meetings, I think it's about time that the west coast gets their act together. From looking at the forum members locations, we should be able to get a good little group together.

I am willing to host the meeting. If there is a lot of response to this and those that wish to attend are further North than say Santa Barbara, maybe we can work something out to meet further North, but someone will have to pony up to host it.

Anyway, just wanted to put the feelers out there to see how much interest, if any, is there to actually make a gathering worth while. Please reply to this thread with your location and if you could make it to San Diego or can host something closer to YOU!

Lets get interested West coast!!

Best wishes!

acroken
03-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Chad,summer in San Diego? Dude make it in feb and I would be there. I will do anything to get out of these east coast winters. I would love to see you new room.
Kenny

Chad Hughes
03-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Kenny,

If all goes well, we can have a February meet as well! I've got a spare room for you if you need it. I'd love to show off the fish room! :D

Best wishes my friend!

db2inst1
03-11-2010, 04:57 PM
That would be great Chad.

I am located in LA, Can come down to San Diego.

-Visu

diamond_discus
03-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Chad:

I was going to contact Kevin (Lucky Tropical) and see if he is interested in hosting a local meeting. He imports fish from Lawrence Soon monthly and I thought it would be great for a local gather .. Just to see his new fishes .. and we can gather all the local discus fans .. to share their experience, and possibly do some group buy, trade, etc ...

I didn't actually talk to Kevin yet and not sure if he has the time or if he is willing to do so ...

Hey, perhaps we can have alternate meeting places between Los Angeles and San Deigo ...

Anyway, let's get a club started !

Chad Hughes
03-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Visu,

That's great! Maybe we could find someone in LA that would be willing to host such a gathering as well. I'd be happy to travel there as well. Once we get a few locations identified we can alternate locations. Even if it's only twice a year, that's more than none at all! Once in San Diego, maybe once in LA?

Let's see how many people can jump on this thread and get a feel for what we can do! I'll be happy to host the first one!

Chad Hughes
03-16-2010, 02:22 PM
BUMP!

Come on Cali folks! Where is everyone? There's got to be more than just a couple of us around... I know these things take time to populate, but thought there would be more response than this....

WEST COAST!! LOL!

Best wishes!

magewynd
03-16-2010, 02:30 PM
I'd make the drive down from the bay area. Packed with styro boxes and heat packs just in case.

Chad Hughes
03-16-2010, 02:34 PM
I'd make the drive down from the bay area. Packed with styro boxes and heat packs just in case.

Now that's what I'm talking about! :D

We (the group) could meet half way! I know it's about an 8 hour drive.

More, more! LOL! :p

Discusgeo2
03-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Chad I may drive over from Arizona, my mother and brother live in the San Gabriel Valley so I can visit them also.

Chad Hughes
03-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Excellent!

Got any friends in the AZ area that may want to road trip? A meeting in AZ wouldn't be out of the question either! :)

Thanks for chiming in!

underwaterforest
03-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Dang you Socal folk ;), where's the Northern California Discus Meeting? I'd love to attend, but I have to get over trepidation of a 14 hour drive just to make it down to SD.

Chad Hughes
03-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Alex,

would you care to organize and host a norcal meeting? You have more folks near you than I have near me!

diamond_discus
03-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Dang you Socal folk ;), where's the Northern California Discus Meeting? I'd love to attend, but I have to get over trepidation of a 14 hour drive just to make it down to SD.

You NoCal folk should just storm into Kenny's place every month .. Why do you need another meeting ? ;)

underwaterforest
03-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the idea Chad, but I don't think where I live is a very good location, its about five hours north of SF and I'm probably one of the few discus keepers up here. BUT someone living down in San Francisco would make a pretty ideal location though and they got a good discus scene there too. Any San Francisco people want to start a Northern California Meeting?

underwaterforest
03-16-2010, 06:08 PM
You NoCal folk should just storm into Kenny's place every month .. Why do you need another meeting ?

Sounds Good, I Hope Kenny's ready for all of us.:D I'll bring the homebrew.

rickztahone
03-16-2010, 06:19 PM
I can't believe I missed this thread! I'm so in for both meets. I would love to acquire some of your planted tank techniques Chad and I would love to see the quality fish that Lawrence is bring in through Kevin. Just let me know when and im there. Also, I lost all my contacts when my phone broke and i had Julie (frenchie100), Casper (CASW), and Benedict (notjustfish), so if anyone has their number, please let them know since they usually go with me to discus related activities. Keep us posted and keep bumping this thread every few days ;-)

diamond_discus
03-16-2010, 06:46 PM
I can't believe I missed this thread! I'm so in for both meets. I would love to acquire some of your planted tank techniques Chad and I would love to see the quality fish that Lawrence is bring in through Kevin. Just let me know when and im there. Also, I lost all my contacts when my phone broke and i had Julie (frenchie100), Casper (CASW), and Benedict (notjustfish), so if anyone has their number, please let them know since they usually go with me to discus related activities. Keep us posted and keep bumping this thread every few days ;-)

Ricardo :
I finally talked to Kevin last week about a Los Angeles meeting. He agreed to use his warehouse for meetings. We probably will organize the first meeting in May. Need to finalize some details when he return from his ASIA trip.
-Larry

Chad Hughes
03-16-2010, 10:04 PM
This is what I'm talking about! I like the motivation guys! Lets make something happen! I'd be willing to come all the wat to SF at some point. I need a little advance notice though. LOL! LA is no problem. Driving distance for me! :)

Let's keep this going for a while to see if we can get some more interest! I'll be bumping it from time to time to keep it in the mix.

Alex,

Can youmake it down to SF? I love a good home brew!

Thanks for all of the responses!

underwaterforest
03-16-2010, 10:28 PM
This is what I'm talking about! I like the motivation guys! Lets make something happen! I'd be willing to come all the wat to SF at some point. I need a little advance notice though. LOL! LA is no problem. Driving distance for me! :)

Let's keep this going for a while to see if we can get some more interest! I'll be bumping it from time to time to keep it in the mix.

Alex,

Sure, I have friends down in the bay area so SF is usually no problem for me. You like homebrew huh, I may have to break out my rip van winkle ale for you then. Its a little insane, 16+% alcohol but it has been aging for 8 years now so you can't even tell its that strong, well until it is too late;). If strong ales aren't your cup of tea I usually have a few milds and nice drinkable ales around to. I really don't really drink very much, but I always loved making beer for some reason.

rickztahone
03-16-2010, 10:37 PM
... I really don't really drink very much, but I always loved making beer for some reason.

oddly enough, i've always really liked drinking it ;)

Oroborus
03-16-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm down for a Kevin's warehouse meet!

diamond_discus
03-17-2010, 12:08 AM

Alex,

I actually have plan for a SF trip this summer ... Perhaps we can really setup a meeting with Kenny .. That would be great .. One meeting at SF, LA and San Deigo .. ;)

Let's push for the next Discus show to be here at California instead ...;)

allan_mark76
03-17-2010, 01:23 AM
I'm down. Just PM me details.

~AKA~

rickztahone
03-17-2010, 01:28 AM

~AKA~

NICE! looks like it would be a great turn out.

hit the "Quote" button to quote this list after adding your name including where you would be able to meet (LA, San Diego, SF)

1. Ricardo (rickztahone): LA, San Diego, would have to carpool to SF LOL

Chad Hughes
03-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Sure, I have friends down in the bay area so SF is usually no problem for me. You like homebrew huh, I may have to break out my rip van winkle ale for you then. Its a little insane, 16+% alcohol but it has been aging for 8 years now so you can't even tell its that strong, well until it is too late;). If strong ales aren't your cup of tea I usually have a few milds and nice drinkable ales around to. I really don't really drink very much, but I always loved making beer for some reason.

Great! I'm sure we won't have any problems drinking your beer. LOL!

oddly enough, i've always really liked drinking it ;)

;)

I'm down for a Kevin's warehouse meet!

Great!

I actually have plan for a SF trip this summer ... Perhaps we can really setup a meeting with Kenny .. That would be great .. One meeting at SF, LA and San Deigo .. ;)

Let's push for the next Discus show to be here at California instead ...;)

I think a rotation would be awesome! Spread the love around!

A discus show here in SD would be fantastic! Much better than Texas IMO. LOL! Not that there's anything wrong with Texas.... I'm sure if We planned a show in the winter months all those East coasters would be here in a heart beat! LOL!

~AKA~

Excellent!

Chad Hughes
03-17-2010, 11:29 AM
NICE! looks like it would be a great turn out.

hit the "Quote" button to quote this list after adding your name including where you would be able to meet (LA, San Diego, SF)

2. Chad Hughes (Chad Hughes): All of the above.... may have to fly to SF.

Added my name to the list Rick!

Thanks buddy!

diamond_discus
03-17-2010, 12:08 PM
3. Larry (Diamond_Discus): LA, SD ... SF (depends on my family&work schedule)

Hey guys, any ideas what to do for the meetings ?

db2inst1
03-17-2010, 12:56 PM
4. Visu (db2inst1): LA, San Diego and may be SF.

Added

Chad Hughes
03-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Hey guys, any ideas what to do for the meetings ?

It will likely depend on where we meet. In the mean time, I'll work on some discussion topics. Right off the top of my head, I know Rick would like me to speak about planted tanks, I could also go in to filtration and water quality.

If anyone has anything that they would like to discuss or even speak about, that's great too! I'm hoping that we can get together at hatcheries and hear what they have to say!

This is going to be a good time guys and gals! I'm anxious to hear what everyone has to offer to the group! It doesn't necessarily have to be one guy preaching to the choir. We all need to be involved.... unless you just want to sit back and listen. LOL!

Best wishes!

rickztahone
03-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Looks like we can get a good turn out for these meets. Besides planted tanks and filtration I thought were could discuss illnesses. Meds and such are a hot topic and I think it would be great to discuss a medication approach when dealing with discus. Those are just some topics off the top of my head. Also, got to look forward to a potluck.

Chad Hughes
03-17-2010, 05:20 PM
I like the way you're thinking Rick! Where's the rest of the crew? :confused:

Oroborus
03-17-2010, 08:57 PM
5. Judy (Oroborus): LA, SF (probably would take a flight), SD

diamond_discus
03-18-2010, 02:14 AM
Looks like we can get a good turn out for these meets. Besides planted tanks and filtration I thought were could discuss illnesses. Meds and such are a hot topic and I think it would be great to discuss a medication approach when dealing with discus. Those are just some topics off the top of my head. Also, got to look forward to a potluck.

Yes, I was going to suggest the medication topic as well. Plumbing is another good topic.

Chad Hughes
03-18-2010, 02:18 AM
Good ideas!

gotfish?
03-18-2010, 06:10 AM
haha iv'e been wanting to plan this for the longest time FINALLY! :bounce2:

I AM IN :drummer:

PS: how about also making a BH mix as a topic ;)

diamond_discus
03-18-2010, 09:38 AM
haha iv'e been wanting to plan this for the longest time FINALLY! :bounce2:

I AM IN :drummer:

PS: how about also making a BH mix as a topic ;)

Sure we can do that. This is going to be a conference now .. HaHa .. :D

Chad Hughes
03-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Im sure there's more people out there! Should I rent out the Staples center? LOL!

This is great! Anyone else?

diamond_discus
03-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Im sure there's more people out there! Should I rent out the Staples center? LOL!

This is great! Anyone else?

No, I was thinking about the Rose Bowl .. :D
I am sure there will be more as I know there are quite a few discus fans here in Los Angeles area.

I am going to order some Freeze Dried Black Worms from Al very soon. Let me see if I can ask him or Mal to send us some sample for those who plans to come to the meeting. Now, this is really going to turn into a market place .. HaHa.

Chad Hughes
03-18-2010, 03:02 PM
LOL! Good one.

Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of them out there! Depending on the location of the meeting, I have plenty of goodies that we could raffle off, discus included!!

Best wishes!

rickztahone
03-18-2010, 03:32 PM
LOL! Good one.

Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of them out there! Depending on the location of the meeting, I have plenty of goodies that we could raffle off, discus included!!

Best wishes!

i'm sure i can find some things to raffle off as well. good idea

Chad Hughes
03-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Rick,

Nice! ;)

Disgirl
03-18-2010, 06:41 PM
LOL! Good one.

Best wishes!

Put me down for some raffle things:D:D
Barb

Chad Hughes
03-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks Barb! You are the BEST! :angel:

rickztahone
03-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Barb, please take a couple of caves and a few cones : -)

wendy9722
03-18-2010, 07:22 PM
hey what about PA???

Disgirl
03-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Barb, please take a couple of caves and a few cones : -)

No Ricardo, not "take", it will be "mail". Too far for me to take the trip. But wish I could...I will be there in donations only.
Barb:D

Chad Hughes
03-18-2010, 09:55 PM
hey what about PA???

I'd say you'd fit right in withthe East coast crew unless you want to fly to Cali! :)

No Ricardo, not "take", it will be "mail". Too far for me to take the trip. But wish I could...I will be there in donations only.
Barb:D

Barb,

You are so generous. :angel:

When the time comes I'll cover shipping. Again, thank you for your generosity!

Best wishes!

rickztahone
03-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Barb
Sry Barb I misunderstood. We would have loved to meet you

diamond_discus
03-19-2010, 12:18 AM
Barb

Barb, you know what I want .. HaHa .. You are great ! Did you find out the pleco cave info for me yet ?

diamond_discus
03-19-2010, 12:20 AM
hey what about PA???

Hey, you are welcome to join us .. just take a family vacation here to Disneyland at LA, and Seaworld at San Deigo .. Let your family have fun, and then you can join us. ;)

notjustfish
03-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Hi Everyone,
As Larry mentioned, I would be more then happy to host the Socal meet.
My warehouse has plenty room and it is central to San Diego and some of the folks further North.

I had a thought. Instead of having talks on featured topics... we could have open discussion on topics and everyone can share their experiences.
We would have certain individual lead the discussions.

I could lead topics on quarantine, treatment / management of plague virus and fish room design and plumbing.

Anytime in May is good for me. Lets try to just set a date and organize around that. If not this will just be all tallk and then everyone will lose steam.

Kevin

Chad Hughes
03-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Kevin,

you're awesome! thank you for the invite and we will certainly take you up on both your offer to host and speak! That's great! Hear that everyone? May! Clear your calendars!

diamond_discus
03-20-2010, 12:03 AM
I was at Kevin's warehouse this afternoon. We chatted about the meeting .. I think Rick has a good idea that we could have a potluck .. Since Kevin's going to Asia and visiting Lawrence, I asked him to take some video tour of Lawrence's farm and facility. We could watch the video while we eat and chat ..

I also like Kevin's idea that we should spend time to introduce ourselves and know each others. I am sure there will be many more meetings afterward. We are going to have raffle/auction/gift .. This is going to be wonderful, guys.. spread the word, and let's get more SoCal discus fans to join.

Yep .. May .. I think most likely it will be one of the Saturday.

Chad Hughes
03-20-2010, 12:07 AM
I was at Kevin's warehouse this afternoon. We chatted about the meeting .. I think Rick has a good idea that we could have a potluck .. Since Kevin's going to Asia and visiting Lawrence, I asked him to take some video tour of Lawrence's farm and facility. We could watch the video while we eat and chat ..

I also like Kevin's idea that we should spend time to introduce ourselves and know each others. I am sure there will be many more meetings afterward. We are going to have raffle/auction/gift .. This is going to be wonderful, guys.. spread the word, and let's get more SoCal discus fans to join.

Yep .. May .. I think most likely it will be one of the Saturday.

Sounds wonderful! This is what I'm talking about! I love your suggestions and I think we'll have others join in! We have rounded up a pretty good group. Looking forward to it!

rickztahone
03-20-2010, 12:36 AM
sounds great! i can clear all of May except for one and that would be at the beginning since my daughters b-day is may 6th and i'm sure we'll have a party for her. if it just so happens to land on that day then i have to bow out now. but, other than that i will try to have it clear thereafter.

wadewc
03-20-2010, 08:15 AM
I just got back from a vacation in San Diego. It was a last minute idea. My wife is dealing with some health issues and she wanted to see the Panda's in San Diego zoo. I wished I relized all the members in the area. I would have really liked to have meet you. Sounds like you are going to have a great meeting wish I could be there.

Wade

rickztahone
03-20-2010, 11:57 AM
I just got back from a vacation in San Diego. It was a last minute idea. My wife is dealing with some health issues and she wanted to see the Panda's in San Diego zoo. I wished I relized all the members in the area. I would have really liked to have meet you. Sounds like you are going to have a great meeting wish I could be there.

Wade

sorry we missed you Wade. isn't the SD zoo the greatest? it's one of my fav's for sure.

Chad Hughes
03-20-2010, 01:42 PM
+1!

I hope your wife is feeling better as well!

diamond_discus
03-20-2010, 02:38 PM

Wade

Hope your wife feels better. Will pray for her.

wadewc
03-20-2010, 03:03 PM
I agree the San Diego zoo is the greatest. The wife and I have never been to California and I have to say you guys sure have a Beautiful state for what we saw. We drove from Point Luma through La Jolla up the coast to Carlsbad. We meet alot of very nice people while we where there. I will say the highways got confusing some times. Here in Oklahoma the roads go North, South, East and West. In San Diego the roads go every which way. I will be sure to look you all up the next time we go.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Life deals us many cards. We all should live life everyday to the fullest.

Wade

chicklett1
03-20-2010, 04:26 PM
6. Shannon (Chicklett1): LA, SD (depending on work schedule). Could possibly bring the better half who is even more discus crazy than I am.

rickztahone
03-20-2010, 04:30 PM
I agree the San Diego zoo is the greatest. The wife and I have never been to California and I have to say you guys sure have a Beautiful state for what we saw. We drove from Point Luma through La Jolla up the coast to Carlsbad. We meet alot of very nice people while we where there. I will say the highways got confusing some times. Here in Oklahoma the roads go North, South, East and West. In San Diego the roads go every which way. I will be sure to look you all up the next time we go.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Life deals us many cards. We all should live life everyday to the fullest.

Wade

Wade, thank your luck stars that you did not jump on the 405 by UCLA, it is the biggest parking lot in Los Angeles come rush hour, lol.

rickscics
03-21-2010, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=chicklett1;627162]1. Ricardo (rickztahone): LA, San Diego, would have to carpool to SF LOL
6. Shannon (Chicklett1): LA, SD (depending on work schedule). Could possibly bring the better half who is even more discus crazy than I am.
7.Rick Coye, rickscics . San Diego , LA, Orange county is better, It's half way between both :)

Inland Empire Discus
03-21-2010, 05:59 PM
I would be there if it was on a Sun., as that is the only day I would be able to make it on any given weekend.

Bill

Chad Hughes
03-21-2010, 06:05 PM
I know you're a busy man Bill! Would love to see you make one of these meetings!

diamond_discus
03-21-2010, 11:15 PM
I would be there if it was on a Sun., as that is the only day I would be able to make it on any given weekend.

Bill

Bill, Sunday would be fine as well, if it's okay with the San Deigo folks as they have to drive back late at night. Will talk to Kevin when he gets back from his Asia trip. We will probably post a few days and see what works for majority.

Anyone has other preference, go ahead and post it here.

Chad Hughes
03-24-2010, 04:12 PM
OK....

So how many of you Cali folks are planning on attending the NADA show in Texas? This could be a first meet for those of us who can attend and we could also take that time to discuss follow on meetings.

Clear your calendar and make it if you can!

Best wishes!

diamond_discus
03-24-2010, 06:27 PM
OK....

So how many of you Cali folks are planning on attending the NADA show in Texas? This could be a first meet for those of us who can attend and we could also take that time to discuss follow on meetings.

Clear your calendar and make it if you can!

Best wishes!

Wish I can go .. but can't .. Perhaps you can push for the next show to be here in SoCal .. ;)

Chad Hughes
03-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Awww..... sorry to hear. I'll plug it, but hosting a show here in SOCAL is likely going to be twice as expensive as Dallas. Maybe we can drum up some local sponsorship for NADA? :D

diamond_discus
03-30-2010, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=chicklett1;627162]1. Ricardo (rickztahone): LA, San Diego, would have to carpool to SF LOL
7.Rick Coye, rickscics . San Diego , LA, Orange county is better, It's half way between both :)

So, who else is interested joining us ?
Do you guys want Saturday or Sunday ? Time (afternoon ? evening ? )
Potluck ? or just a meeting ?

Here're a few proposal :
5/15 (Saturday)
5/16 (Sunday)
5/22 (Saturday)
5/23 (Sunday)

rickztahone
03-30-2010, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=rickscics;627353]

So, who else is interested joining us ?
Do you guys want Saturday or Sunday ? Time (afternoon ? evening ? )
Potluck ? or just a meeting ?

Here're a few proposal :
5/15 (Saturday)
5/16 (Sunday)
5/22 (Saturday)
5/23 (Sunday)

I would prefer Sunday so that Bill can make it

diamond_discus
03-30-2010, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=diamond_discus;630176]

I would prefer Sunday so that Bill can make it

Okay, Sunday .... (5/16 or 5/23). Will finalize the date once Kevin's come back from his Asia trip.

Discusgeo2
03-31-2010, 12:25 PM
Just post a date and time and I will try an drive over

7.Rick Coye, rickscics . San Diego , LA, Orange county is better, It's half way between both
8.George (Discusgeo2) SD & LA

Chad Hughes
03-31-2010, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=rickztahone;630182]

Okay, Sunday .... (5/16 or 5/23). Will finalize the date once Kevin's come back from his Asia trip.

So are we looking to meet in LA? This is great by me! Keep us up to date on the plan!

rickztahone
03-31-2010, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=diamond_discus;630184]

So are we looking to meet in LA? This is great by me! Keep us up to date on the plan!

Yeah im assuming LA pending on what Kevin says via Larry. But like ive said before, I'm willing to go to Sry and possibly SF pending the driving situation. Regardless, it sounds like a good turn out. Btw, did anyone happen to find Julie's or Casper's phone number? I believe Benedict already said yes

diamond_discus
04-01-2010, 01:05 AM
Yeah, I think it's okay to have the first meeting here at LA. I think someone is setting up a NoCal meeting at Milpitas.

I am proposing the following date & time.

May 16 (Sunday), 5 to 8 pm, with potluck dinner.
Agenda :
- Getting to know each other
- Video tour of Lawrence Soon's breeding farm
- Speakers : Chad, Kevin (and perhaps Bill as well ?)
- Q&A
- raffle/auction/giveaway
- Plan for next meeting

Everything is subject to change. Feel free to provide your comment/suggestion

rickztahone
04-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I think it's okay to have the first meeting here at LA. I think someone is setting up a NoCal meeting at Milpitas.

I am proposing the following date & time.

May 16 (Sunday), 5 to 8 pm, with potluck dinner.
Agenda :
- Getting to know each other
- Video tour of Lawrence Soon's breeding farm
- Speakers : Chad, Kevin (and perhaps Bill as well ?)
- Q&A
- raffle/auction/giveaway
- Plan for next meeting

Everything is subject to change. Feel free to provide your comment/suggestion

I would prefer an earlier meet time due to the fact that some might get there late and the meet could potentially go on for a longer time than expected. This is just my opinion but i would prefer a 2pm meet for those that need to travel a greater distance

Chad Hughes
04-01-2010, 12:15 PM
I' have to agree..... for those of us who are having to travel, an eralier time would be better. I'll have to work Monday morning, so I'd like to be leaving LA no later than 7 pm. Everything else sounds fantastic! :)

diamond_discus
04-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Okay.. I understand .. Thats' why I originally propose to have it on Saturday instead, so that people don't have to drive/travel on Sunday.

We can meet earlier as mentioned. The reason I choose 5pm-8pm is for the potluck dinner. We can bypass the potluck concept if we were to start at 2 pm. Or we can have a late potluck lunch that start at 1 pm ?

Chad Hughes
04-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Okay.. I understand .. Thats' why I originally propose to have it on Saturday instead, so that people don't have to drive/travel on Sunday.

We can meet earlier as mentioned. The reason I choose 5pm-8pm is for the potluck dinner. We can bypass the potluck concept if we were to start at 2 pm. Or we can have a late potluck lunch that start at 1 pm ?

Or what if we made it lunch? :D

diamond_discus
04-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Sure, we can have a lunch potluck .. you guys wanna start at noon ? 1 pm ?

allan_mark76
04-06-2010, 04:03 PM
10. Allan Mark (allan_mark76) San Diego

Hey guys PM me when and where the meeting will be and I'll be there.

Thanks.

~AKA~

Chad Hughes
04-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Sure, we can have a lunch potluck .. you guys wanna start at noon ? 1 pm ?

Sounds good to me!

diamond_discus
04-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Just updating the list :

7. Rick Coye, rickscics . San Diego , LA, Orange county is better, It's half way between both
8. George (Discusgeo2) SD & LA
9. Allan Mark (allan_mark76) San Diego
10. Bill Schroer (Inland Empire Discus)
11. Kevin (notjustfish)

Bill declined my offer as the speaker this time because he is too busy. However, he will consider to speaker at future meetings.

Chad Hughes
04-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Wow! Looks like a solid list! Now all we need is a final location date and time. :D

rickztahone
04-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Wow! Looks like a solid list! Now all we need is a final location date and time. :D

lol, just the most important thing. are we still waiting for Kevin to get back to us about meeting at his place Larry? let us know, if not, and if Chad would be willing i'd love to go check out his finished fish room :D

Chad Hughes
04-06-2010, 11:20 PM
My place is always open. I'm just concerned about how many people could make it down to SD. LA may be a bit more central.

rickztahone
04-07-2010, 12:46 AM
My place is always open. I'm just concerned about how many people could make it down to SD. LA may be a bit more central.

agreed, we will just wait to see what Larry says

diamond_discus
04-07-2010, 01:09 AM
I think it would be better to meet at Kevin's place for our first meeting. As Chad indicated, perhaps LA is more central. I already talked to Kevin before he took off for his Asia trip. There should be no problem using his warehouse to host the meeting. I just need to wait till he comes back to confirm the exact date. I definitely think the next meeting should be at San Diego.

Unless there is other conflicts, let's plan for the following:
Date : May 16 (Sunday), 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm (or later)
Place : Kevin's warehouse

People should plan to arrive at 12 noon .. We will do basic setup and start potluck at 12:30 pm.

Perhaps we should start a potluck list now ?
- Drinks
- Appetizer
- Main Dish
- Dessert
- Snacks
- Utensils
- Plate/Cups/Napkins

Or we can simply order Pizza and beer

rickztahone
04-07-2010, 01:18 AM
I think it would be better to meet at Kevin's place for our first meeting. As Chad indicated, perhaps LA is more central. I already talked to Kevin before he took off for his Asia trip. There should be no problem using his warehouse to host the meeting. I just need to wait till he comes back to confirm the exact date. I definitely think the next meeting should be at San Diego.

People should plan to arrive at 12 noon .. We will do basic setup and start potluck at 12:30 pm.

- Drinks
- Appetizer
- Main Dish
- Dessert
- Snacks
- Utensils
- Plate/Cups/Napkins

date and place sound fine for me. i'm good for the potluck and we can order pizza as well. i'm not really sure what i will take but i will definitely take something.

gotfish?
04-07-2010, 01:51 AM
hey dont forget me! :( rick do you still have my number? i havnt been visiting simply the past weeks and i might miss out on things...or maybe chad can keep me posted on FB? :D anyways, im down to whatever you guys decide on ;)

diamond_discus
04-07-2010, 01:56 AM
Up to 12 now :

7. Rick Coye, rickscics . San Diego , LA, Orange county is better, It's half way between both
11. Kevin (notjustfish)
12. Benedict (gotfish)

Anyone else want to join us ? Just add your name to the list.

hedut
04-07-2010, 04:26 AM
I'll looking forward about pic meeting:D:D:D:D

rickztahone
04-07-2010, 09:56 AM
hey dont forget me! :( rick do you still have my number? i havnt been visiting simply the past weeks and i might miss out on things...or maybe chad can keep me posted on FB? :D anyways, im down to whatever you guys decide on ;)

Hey Benedict, nice to see you on again. Ive been meaning to ask you if you still have Caspers number. Please pm me yours to keep you in touch.

brewmaster15
04-11-2010, 08:10 AM
Way to go everyone...I'm liking what I am seeing here!:) Looks like you have a great get together in the works! Wish i could attend!

-al

diamond_discus
04-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Way to go everyone...I'm liking what I am seeing here!:) Looks like you have a great get together in the works! Wish i could attend!
-al

Al:
You are always welcome to join us .. Just take your family to vacation here at SoCal .. We will setup a special meeting to meet you at Disneyland or SeaWorld. Well, you have to bring lots of your FDBW and BH mix, and be our speaker, of course. ;)
-Larry

Chad Hughes
04-11-2010, 02:05 PM

-al

Al,

Now you see how I feel when I read about all the fun youguys and gals have on your side of the country! LOL! The posts of your meetings are what motivated me to reach out and see what we could get started here!

Al:
You are always welcome to join us .. Just take your family to vacation here at SoCal .. We will setup a special meeting to meet you at Disneyland or SeaWorld. Well, you have to bring lots of your FDBW and BH mix, and be our speaker, of course. ;)
-Larry

Larry,

You've been extremely helpful in keping this search fro interested parties alive. really appreciate that! One day we'll have a group so large that we'll have our own "Disney Day"! We'll have to lease the entire park! LOL!

Thanks again Larry!

Best wishes!

brewmaster15
04-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks Guys!

Now you see how I feel when I read about all the fun youguys and gals have on your side of the country! LOL! The posts of your meetings are what motivated me to reach out and see what we could get started here!
and that my friend is part of the plan;) :D:D:D:D We've succeeded even more than we thought with our Northeast Discus get togethers if we sparked a fire in anyone else.

Someday I'll make it to cali...never been there and have many good friends there.

take care,
al

Chad Hughes
04-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks Guys!

and that my friend is part of the plan;) :D:D:D:D We've succeeded even more than we thought with our Northeast Discus get togethers if we sparked a fire in anyone else.

Someday I'll make it to cali...never been there and have many good friends there.

take care,
al

Al,

When you decide to make the trip, my house is your house.

Take care brother!

seasiderick
04-14-2010, 01:19 PM
You cant count me and my son jarred in sounds great .

Chad Hughes
04-14-2010, 05:48 PM
You cant count me and my son jarred in sounds great .

Rick,

Did you mean to say that we CAN count you in? :)

seasiderick
04-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Rick,

Did you mean to say that we CAN count you in? :)

Yes as long as our work schedule lets us but that sounds like alot of fun.
5 hour drive 4 us.

Chad Hughes
04-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Rick,

Glad to hear it! And yes, it should be a ton of fun!

Have a great weekend!

Peace
04-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Count me in... San Diego (home) or LA would be fine with me...

Chad Hughes
04-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Awesome! What part of SD? I'm near Spring Valley. :)

Peace
04-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Carmel Valley...

for some funny reason, I'm thinking I've contact you, Chad... I think I came across your website and wanted to see your strains... but was waiting until I had closed on my home before buying... this was about two months ago...

Peace
04-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Hey Chad... being a discus breeder, could you please take a look at my post under metro (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=635500#post635500) and see if you can provide any advice? im still new to SD and was hoping for a response or two to help me and my discus out... Thanks...

Peace
04-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Hey Chad... since you are a discus breeder, you might know... could you please take a look at my other post today on SD and see if can provide any answers? I'm fairly new to SD so I thought I'd post my issue and see if anyone responded... so far, nada... Thanks in advance.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=635500#post635500

Chad Hughes
04-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Carmel Valley...

for some funny reason, I'm thinking I've contact you, Chad... I think I came across your website and wanted to see your strains... but was waiting until I had closed on my home before buying... this was about two months ago...

Ah ha! Yes, you've refreshed my memory now. Anytime you want to come by, just let me know. I give a lot of tours. LOL! It would be great to meet!!. How goes the realestate transaction?

Have a great weekend!

Peace
04-15-2010, 04:38 PM
We've closed on a condo... havent moved in yet due to renovations... hopefully by month end...

condo = small tank so im keeping the tank size to under 100g... already have a pair in a 30g...

i will take you up on your offer and drop by one of these days...

cheers...

allan_mark76
04-15-2010, 04:43 PM
I voter for Pizza from Pizza Hut for 10bucks and beer. Sorry I'm an awful cook and by the time I get there my food will be cold.

JMHO.

~AKA~

Chad Hughes
04-15-2010, 05:00 PM
We've closed on a condo... havent moved in yet due to renovations... hopefully by month end...

condo = small tank so im keeping the tank size to under 100g... already have a pair in a 30g...

i will take you up on your offer and drop by one of these days...

cheers...

Sounds great!

I voter for Pizza from Pizza Hut for 10bucks and beer. Sorry I'm an awful cook and by the time I get there my food will be cold.

JMHO.

~AKA~

+1 :D

rickztahone
04-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Rick,

Glad to hear it! And yes, it should be a ton of fun!

Have a great weekend!

Count me in... San Diego (home) or LA would be fine with me...

Nice!

diamond_discus
04-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Up to 14 ...

11. Kevin (notjustfish)
12. Benedict (gotfish)
13. Rick (seasiderick)
14. Peace

rickztahone
04-18-2010, 06:17 PM

- Drinks
- Appetizer
- Main Dish
- Dessert
- Snacks
- Utensils
- Plate/Cups/Napkins

i just wanted to bring this up to the most current page so people who come in know. also, the list:

11. Kevin (notjustfish)
12. Benedict (gotfish)
13. Rick (seasiderick)
14. Peace

Chad Hughes
04-21-2010, 11:51 AM
i just wanted to bring this up to the most current page so people who come in know. also, the list:

11. Kevin (notjustfish)
12. Benedict (gotfish)
13. Rick (seasiderick)
14. Peace

Good work Rick! This is going to be a great turn out I think! Everyone mark their calendars, tell your friends, etc.! If you have facebook or any other social networking connection, let folks know what we are doing! You'd be surprised who you can bring out of the woodwork! LOL!

Best wishes!

Peace
04-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Sorry if I'm being slow... I'm assuming Kevin's warehouse is in LA?

-Shazli

bolivianram10
04-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Hello All,

Sorry for jumping so late into thread, please count me in. I'll be happy to meet some of you that I have been reading your postings and learning so much to help me in my discus keeping!

Marco.

diamond_discus
04-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Sorry if I'm being slow... I'm assuming Kevin's warehouse is in LA?

-Shazli

yes, Kevin's warehouse is at Baldwin Park, near the 210 and 10 freeway.
Once Kevin returned from his ASIA trip, I will confirm the detail with him. Either post the address and direction here or pm/email everyone.

Up to 15 Discus fans now :
11. Kevin (notjustfish)
12. Benedict (gotfish)
13. Rick (seasiderick)
14. Shazli (Peace)
15. bolivianram10 (Marco)

rickztahone
04-21-2010, 01:10 PM
yes, Kevin's warehouse is at Baldwin Park, near the 210 and 10 freeway.
Once Kevin returned from his ASIA trip, I will confirm the detail with him. Either post the address and direction here or pm/email everyone.

Up to 15 Discus fans now :
11. Kevin (notjustfish)
12. Benedict (gotfish)
13. Rick (seasiderick)
14. Shazli (Peace)
15. bolivianram10 (Marco)

Now that's a list!

allan_mark76
04-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Will Kevin or anybody be selling any fish or equipment?

It would be nice.

~AKA~

diamond_discus
04-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Now that's a list!

Just wanna let you guys know .. Al is kind enough to send us some sample of the Freeze Dried Black Worm .. If your name is not on the list, I can't guarantee you will get any ... So, sign up now, people ...

I believe Barb is going to donate her "Magic" swirl breeding cone for raffle. Chad, I assume you will follow up with this one ?

Unless there is any objection, we will go will Pizza/beer/soda/water. We will just share the cost at the end. Feel free to bring other snacks if you can (chips, etc).

Looking good .. people .. We should start a count down .. ;)

diamond_discus
04-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Will Kevin or anybody be selling any fish or equipment?

It would be nice.

~AKA~

yes, I am sure Kevin will be selling fish, and show case some of his upcoming April group order. Lawrence might just give out some free fish too .. (hint .. hint ..)

Chad Hughes
04-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Just wanna let you guys know .. Al is kind enough to send us some sample of the Freeze Dried Black Worm .. If your name is not on the list, I can't guarantee you will get any ... So, sign up now, people ...

I believe Barb is going to donate her "Magic" swirl breeding cone for raffle. Chad, I assume you will follow up with this one ?

Unless there is any objection, we will go will Pizza/beer/soda/water. We will just share the cost at the end. Feel free to bring other snacks if you can (chips, etc).

Looking good .. people .. We should start a count down .. ;)

I'll definately get with Barb to see about the cones. I can bring fish as well if anyone is interested. I always have plenty for sale! :D

allan_mark76
04-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Looks like I'll be stopping by the ATM machine before I get there... cha-ching!!!

~AKA~

db2inst1
04-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Hey Chad,

Will you be able to bring your sea-food mix? How much for a lb?

Also regarding the fish. Will your site be the best place to get the current stocklist?

-Visu

I'll definately get with Barb to see about the cones. I can bring fish as well if anyone is interested. I always have plenty for sale! :D

Chad Hughes
04-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Hey Chad,

Will you be able to bring your sea-food mix? How much for a lb?

Also regarding the fish. Will your site be the best place to get the current stocklist?

-Visu

I haven't used the seafood mix in a while. I do have beefheart on hand. For this meeting I can do $10 per lb.

I'll update the stock list on the site soon. Looking at it right now, there are several strains that I do not have listed. I should have things up to date by Friday. I'll let youknow once it's done!

Best wishes!

bolivianram10
04-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Chad,
I would like to get a pound of your BH mix and do you have any idea yet of the meeting date?
Marco

Disgirl
04-27-2010, 01:44 PM
It will be May 16 I have been told.
Barb:)

diamond_discus
04-28-2010, 04:22 AM
I talked to Kevin this afternoon. May 16 is the confirmed date for our local discus meeting. PM or email me (discus.diamond@gmail.com) to confirm you are coming, and I will provide the address of Kevin's warehouse. We need to know the headcount .. The agenda/schedule should be very similar to what I posted earlier.

-Larry

brewmaster15
04-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Guys,
I've restructured the Discus community section of the forum...broke out the major clubs like The Northeast Discus Assoc.and recently the SouthEast Discus Enthusiasts...
If you guys feel you will be forming something permanent here and this is the first of many meetings....let me know...give me a name, description and point person to moderate and I'll set it up for you as well...

same goes for any group out there.

hth,
al

diamond_discus
04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Guys,
I've restructured the Discus community section of the forum...broke out the major clubs like The Northeast Discus Assoc.and recently the SouthEast Discus Enthusiasts...
If you guys feel you will be forming something permanent here and this is the first of many meetings....let me know...give me a name, description and point person to moderate and I'll set it up for you as well...

same goes for any group out there.

hth,
al

Thanks Al. I think we will most likely form a club pretty soon, but we should talk about it as a group when we meet in May. My initial proposal would be "Southwest Discus Club" (SWDC) ..

For now, can you set up this southwest section for us ? I like to have more exposure for our upcoming meeting. We can always change the forum name and description later, right ? For now, we can use similar description as the other two clubs. I can be the moderator and perhaps Chad can moderate as well.

-Larry

brewmaster15
04-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Done Larry....I set the section up...we can edit it latter if need be... and both you and Chad have moderator priviledges.

-al

diamond_discus
04-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Done Larry....I set the section up...we can edit it latter if need be... and both you and Chad have moderator priviledges.

-al

Excellent Al .. Thanks for the quick setup. Much appreciated.

diamond_discus
05-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Hi All :

Kevin and Lawrence have been quite busy lately. We need to postpone our meeting from May 16 to May 23. I will start a new thread to get final confirmation of attendance.

-Larry

rickztahone
05-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Hi All :

Kevin and Lawrence have been quite busy lately. We need to postpone our meeting from May 16 to May 23. I will start a new thread to get final confirmation of attendance.

-Larry

awww, that's sad, i was really looking forward to the meet. i will check my schedule with the significant other to make sure we are not doing anything. this might change things with other fellow members as well.

gotfish?
05-04-2010, 12:39 AM
yikes, my schedule cant do that weekend :(

diamond_discus
05-04-2010, 03:15 AM
Yeah, I know ... I am looking forward for the meeting as well ... Let me talk to Kevin again to see if there is anyway we can keep the original date. Stay tune ..

BTW, Al is sending us some sample of the Freeze Dried Black Worm ... Everyone on the original list of 15 will get some sample ... ;)

rickztahone
05-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I know ... I am looking forward for the meeting as well ... Let me talk to Kevin again to see if there is anyway we can keep the original date. Stay tune ..

BTW, Al is sending us some sample of the Freeze Dried Black Worm ... Everyone on the original list of 15 will get some sample ... ;)

yeah keep us updated. if worse comes to worse i'd be willing to relocate, but we would have to ask everyone else if they'd be fine with that.

allan_mark76
05-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Ditto

~AKA~

Chad Hughes
05-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Hey guys and Gals! It's been a little while since I've checked out the forum threads and I have to say that I am very pleased with the developments that are happening. Despite the possible schedule slips, this meeting is going to be fantastic! Keep spreading the word and if anyone knows of other hobbists that are not necessarily forum folks, invite them to come along! We can get them hooked on the forum without any problems I'm sure. LOL!

I wanted to say thanks to everyone that has contributed to the planning and organization of this meeting. Al, again you have pulled through and offered smaples of the FDCBW. That's fantastic! Thank you for the forum spot as well.

Barb has provided cones for raffle and sale and will be sending those to me soon.

I will have samples of CBW and 1lb slabs of FBW from Dan at Aquatic Foods for anyone interested. I will be providing beefheart, TDS meters and some other goodies (verimisole, asian air stones, sponge filters, etc.) for auction/sale. I can provide fish upon request/level of interest. This is going to be a great meet! I look forward to seeing everyone there!

Best wishes!

Discusgeo2
05-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Larry or Chad see what date you can figure out soon so I can see about taking the next day off because of the drive back to Phoenix.

George

diamond_discus
05-05-2010, 04:44 PM
May 16 is the confirmed date.

See this new thread : http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=79452

Chad Hughes
01-03-2011, 03:58 PM
OK Guys and Gals!

Trying to get the attendance list rolling for our first 2011 meeting!

Check out the thread! (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?83923-Beginning-a-new-year!&p=713976#post713976)
Best wishes!