PDA

View Full Version : No quality discus in Chicago!

ExReefer
03-11-2010, 06:12 PM
How does one of the largest cities in the US not have a dedicated Discus importer and/or breeder?

William Palumbo
03-11-2010, 07:01 PM
LOL...I am just a small scale breeder...when I am lucky! I ONLY sell what I breed, so I am at the mercy of my pairs. Tho giving the import thing a lot of thought, but I like/want to be in charge of the quality I sell...Bill

Jhhnn
03-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Windy City Discus, one of our sponsors, is in Carpentersville. Haven't dealt with him personally, I just know he's there...

ockyra215
03-11-2010, 09:02 PM
there has to be someone in the area who is into discus you can always use the sponsers and get fish from them get them to breed and corner the market in chicago.:Djust a thought!

ExReefer
03-11-2010, 10:50 PM
there has to be someone in the area who is into discus you can always use the sponsers and get fish from them get them to breed and corner the market in chicago.:Djust a thought!

Funny you say this because I did give this some thought...setting up a bunch of 55 gallon tanks, water change system, etc. in my basement and importing a big batch of discus. I'm just to chicken to do it because the demand around here doesn't seem that good. I'd hate to be stuck with a few thousand dollars worth of imported discus. Well, I guess it would be a nice sight, but a lot of work.

ExReefer
03-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Windy City Discus, one of our sponsors, is in Carpentersville. Haven't dealt with him personally, I just know he's there...

Where does he get his discus from? He doesn't seem to be active within this web site.

TURBOFROG
03-11-2010, 10:53 PM
I have gotten fish from Bill and am always very happy with the results!

whitedevil
03-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Where does he get his discus from? He doesn't seem to be active within this web site.

I think he breeds his out, he is always at GCCA swaps and has some very nice looking discus.

There is a guy named ED in naperville that has quality.

I was going to order some from RMD but I think I am going to get mine from WCD.

90 Gallons of Fun
03-12-2010, 08:41 AM

I tried e-mailing him a couple of times a few months back, with no replies. Ended up ordering and having shipped from a sponser, great experience.

William Palumbo
03-12-2010, 08:45 AM
I have gotten fish from Bill and am always very happy with the results!

Thanks Brian...I am glad you are happy with them. Maybe shortly you can stop by and I can give you a taste of some German fish! Take care...Bill

90 Gallons of Fun
03-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Thanks Brian...I am glad you are happy with them. Maybe shortly you can stop by and I can give you a taste of some German fish! Take care...Bill

Bill. I did not know you were a seller a few months back..... Maybe my next tank :D

Rich

William Palumbo
03-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Hi Rich, no problem. I am more of a hobbyist than seller. When I am blessed to have spawning Discus and excess fry, then I sell. Otherwise it's just a hobby...Bill

90 Gallons of Fun
03-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Hi Rich, no problem. I am more of a hobbyist than seller. When I am blessed to have spawning Discus and excess fry, then I sell. Otherwise it's just a hobby...Bill

Yes, but a hobbyist with Hans' fry! :angel: Maybe I can be so lucky someday. lol

whitedevil
03-12-2010, 09:32 AM

WCD is not email savvy I think, most easiest way to get ahold of him, is visit his site, and call him after 630ish PM central time. He works outside the house as well and rarely gets to his emails, I called him and met with him a few days later at the GCCA swap. I think he brings close to 100 discus with him when he goes to the swaps, usually 2-4 tanks worth. He is easy to find at the swaps as well, one of the bigger vendors and usually has the biggest crowd around his tables.

bluedimond123
03-12-2010, 07:05 PM
I have bought 3 discus from wcd as I am part of the gcca, You can NEVER email him he will not respond. I called him one time an asked if i could come an purchase some discus an he said any time after 4 I could come. So I did an I went over an his daughter answered the door an told me had just went on a fishing trip an will be back in 2 hours i was happy! :mad:
But his fish are very beutiful, there is also Alex's discus he goes to the gcca swaps once in awhile (mostly wild types) from alex.
Jeff

whitedevil
03-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Ive heard of Alex's but I dont think he was at the past two swaps.

I feel ya on the fishing trip, ive done that a few times myself LOL.
sometimes you forget when you get the itch and that itch hasnt been scratched in a while.

90 Gallons of Fun
03-12-2010, 09:42 PM
I talked to Alex (via email) a month or so ago, and he was working on opening a display room.

ockyra215
03-13-2010, 12:50 AM
I still say get some pairs going and corner the market whatever you dont sell in Chicago you can sell online thru here.If I lived closer to you id go in on it with you!DO IT DO IT! Ha ha ha.......IMHO:D

bluedimond123
03-13-2010, 12:50 AM
I was just at the last swap an alex was there he brought heckel an some wild greens, bought 3 heckel for 20 each an 2 greens at 10 each really small tho. His vendor was real hidden from all the others.
Jeff

bluedimond123
03-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Ive heard of Alex's but I dont think he was at the past two swaps.

I feel ya on the fishing trip, ive done that a few times myself LOL.

LOL! There th best arent they!

Keith Perkins
03-15-2010, 07:47 PM
LOL...I am just a small scale breeder...when I am lucky! I ONLY sell what I breed, so I am at the mercy of my pairs. Tho giving the import thing a lot of thought, but I like/want to be in charge of the quality I sell...Bill

Bill, maybe if you could get Jack Wattley to visit you like he did old man Gluts you wouldn't be at the mercy of your pairs so much. :D Bill and I each bought our first discus from Gluts Aquarium Shop years ago, back then I lived in Bartlett. Gluts has been closed close to 20 years now I bet, but back then Mr. Gluts probably had the best discus in Chicago. To bad his daughter couldn't keep the business going after his health problems struck.

It is amazing a city the size of Chicago doesn't have a major discus source. I've e-mailed WCD too with no response, and finding a phone number for him is no easy task either. I thought maybe because I was looking for a specific male he didn't have it and just didn't bother to respond, but I guess looking at this thread that's not the case. I've got a couple of spawning pairs, and hopefully a third soon thanks to Eric at Carolina Discus, but I've never listed fry on Simply. I'm curious, would any of you current Chicagoians consider just across the border into Wisconsin close enough to get fish? Maybe I should post fry on Simply.

William Palumbo
03-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Post your fry Keith...it won't hurt. You know us Discus people know no bounds when it comes to getting more fish! Other than Gluts, it was always hard to get good Discus in the city, and still is. I'll say this as I always have said it, and make no apoligies for it...if someone...ANYONE, does not want to respond to your emails, phone calls and PM's...he/she must not want your money. You should not have to beg people to take your money. There are plenty of others out there that will. I can understand a individual being busy...but not so much as not to return a phone call or email. I wish I made a sale for every email, phone call or visit I get!... Post those fry Keith...gotta be some "cheeseheads" up by you that keep Discus...Bill

bluedimond123
03-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Well insted of buying from any of the breeders we menchened you could just go to you lfs an by some for $1000000000000000000000000000000000000 LOL
Jeff

Keith Perkins
03-16-2010, 12:25 AM
I just swapped out the last ones I currently had to Aquatics Unlimited in Greenfield to replace my leaking 72 bow and get a stand for the 29 emergency tank I bought when the 72 started leaking. Figured I might as well set it up permanently and put my female RT in it with the hopefully male RT I got from Eric. Maybe next time around I'll post them on Simply, have to see what kind of feedback I get here.