PDA

View Full Version : Week 42, Water Change ??, We've moved!

Chad Hughes
03-11-2010, 11:49 PM
It's been a busy month for me. Life, work, plus finally getting my fish room completed. Yeah!

Anyway the fish are doin great! Due to the fact that I'll be having the floors in my living room redone, I've had to move the contest fish. They are in the fish room now and doing great! They didn't like their stark accomodations at first. Being spoiled in a planted tank for all of these months has it's pros and cons I guess.

Since the move, their environment has changed significantly. Besides the obvious change of surroundings, they are in a new Ph of 8 rather than their 6.9~7 that they were used to. There is no ozone in the tank and the filtration is 2 sponges + central system. There are no fertilizers in their new water as there are no plants. They were in a 110 gallon tank and are now in a 60.

Well, that's about it! Enjoy the pics and have a great weekend!

Best wishes!

Chad Hughes
03-11-2010, 11:51 PM
A few more...

Chad Hughes
03-11-2010, 11:52 PM
And some more....

Ummmm..... sorry. The last picture on this page is NOT a contest fish. That's an albino red turq from Bill at Inland Empire. That's another thread. I don;t know how to delete it.

dbfzurowski
03-12-2010, 03:23 AM
You got some awesome looking fish there.
All the best,
Dom

Eddie
03-12-2010, 03:56 AM
Fish look fantastic Chad! Great shots too.

All the best!

Eddie

underwaterforest
03-12-2010, 04:40 AM
Beautiful healthy fish and it is Amazing that you did all that using so few water changes.

Chad Hughes
03-12-2010, 10:45 AM
You got some awesome looking fish there.
All the best,
Dom

Thanks Dom!

Fish look fantastic Chad! Great shots too.

All the best!

Eddie

Thanks Eddie! That's another reason that I wanted to get them moved before judgement day.... It's hard to get good lighting in the deep 110 that they were in. I can control the lighting in this tank/room much bettter.

Beautiful healthy fish and it is Amazing that you did all that using so few water changes.

Thanks!

That was my goal at the beginning of the contest. I wanted to show how you can raise very healthy discus without a whole bunch of work. So far so good! :) These fish were'nt exactly babiesto start with, but you get the point. LOL!

Best wishes!

Arkangel77
03-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Amazing as always! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

:angel:

Chad Hughes
03-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Amazing as always! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

:angel:

Thanks Ark! ;)

wgtaylor
03-12-2010, 11:14 AM
They look great Chad
Sure look different than your normal post, great job.:)
Bill

Chad Hughes
03-12-2010, 11:20 AM
They look great Chad
Sure look different than your normal post, great job.:)
Bill

Thans Bill!

Yeah, they really didn't enjoy the move too much, but they are settling in nicely. LOL! I can get much better shots in this shallo 60 gallon tank than I could in that deep 110 gallon tank. Lessons learned! LOL!

Anyway, thanks for the kind words my friend!

Have a great weekend!

fishyj
03-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Glad to see they adjusted well. Your are doing a great job. Any plans on moving them back to the planted tank?

Chad Hughes
03-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Glad to see they adjusted well. Your are doing a great job. Any plans on moving them back to the planted tank?

Jim,

Thank you my friend!

Not until I figure out who's paired with who.... :D

Best wishes!

rich_one
03-12-2010, 02:45 PM
This is really throwing a wrench in my thought process. my tank in my basement in barebottom... its a 125 gallon. Even Hans himself has told me I should plant it. but I'm scared to! LOL...

I think for now I'll just get the fish, and enjoy them, and think some more on planting it... man... you have really got me thinking now. I am amazed at how great these fish look.

-Rich

Chad Hughes
03-12-2010, 03:01 PM
This is really throwing a wrench in my thought process. my tank in my basement in barebottom... its a 125 gallon. Even Hans himself has told me I should plant it. but I'm scared to! LOL...

I think for now I'll just get the fish, and enjoy them, and think some more on planting it... man... you have really got me thinking now. I am amazed at how great these fish look.

-Rich

Rich,

If you really want to have success with a planted tank with ANY fish, master the planted tank first. If you have a spare tank, set it up and plant it. Work with this planted tank and learn what it takes to get it right. Once you're confident that you have a good hold on planted tanks, have good plant growth and your water params are perfect, you're ready to go big with discus. It's not hard, but I understand your apprehension. Practice a little. You'll be glad you did.

Best wishes!

rich_one
03-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Sound like Dave... a friend of mine in GWAPA, who has tried to help me "get it" for years, when it comes to planted tanks... but my attention repeatedly drifts away from the plants, and back to fish! LOL...

thanks for the tip... I know this will come for me sooner or later! Your discus are really awesome, Chad... I'm hoping you win this... it would affect a lot of the old conventional thinking on growing out discus, and maybe have a profound effect on this hobby... good luck!

-Rich

Chad Hughes
03-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks Rich!

Plants take focus as well. LOL!

Whoever the winner of the contest is, I think it's fairly clear what CAN be done in a planted tank. :)

Have a great weekend!

ockyra215
03-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Ph-8 isnt that a little to high?They look great awesome job so far Chad they are some beauties!:D

Scribbles
03-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Wow! Your discus look fantastic, Chad! They don't look like they mind the move at all.

Chris

Chad Hughes
03-13-2010, 02:28 AM
Ph-8 isnt that a little to high?They look great awesome job so far Chad they are some beauties!:D

Not really.... Thanks for the compliments!

Wow! Your discus look fantastic, Chad! They don't look like they mind the move at all.

Chris

Thanks Chris! The day they were moved, they got moody. LOL!

Best wishes!

MRQuad
03-13-2010, 04:51 PM
nice fish.. great job!

calihawker
03-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Different surroundings but same great looking fish Chad! Glad the move went well. Great job dude!

Ed13
03-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Very good job Chad!

Jhhnn
03-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Excellent work, a tour de force for your methodology and your skills.

I like your advice about planted tanks, very much- get that right before introducing discus into the mix. Really makes sense- I may have to try it myself, someday...

acroken
03-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Chad,
i respect what you have done with the planted tank and ozone to lessen the need for water changes, but i love the look of these guys in your bare bottom tank. Everything about them just pops now. They look like different fish. Killer job with them my friend. They photograph much better also. I like the change.

Kenny

Chad Hughes
03-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Very good job Chad!

Thanks so much Ed!

Different surroundings but same great looking fish Chad! Glad the move went well. Great job dude!

Thanks Steve! Just trying to catch up to you! LOL!

nice fish.. great job!

Thank you Marvin!

Excellent work, a tour de force for your methodology and your skills.

I like your advice about planted tanks, very much- get that right before introducing discus into the mix. Really makes sense- I may have to try it myself, someday...

Thank you! I think this approach is the best for anyone. I've had planted tanks WAY longer than I can remember.

Chad,
i respect what you have done with the planted tank and ozone to lessen the need for water changes, but i love the look of these guys in your bare bottom tank. Everything about them just pops now. They look like different fish. Killer job with them my friend. They photograph much better also. I like the change.

Kenny

Thanks Kenny!

Yes, they do look very different. The lighting is cheap flourescent lighting (only one 40w tube) and the tank is much more shallow. Much easier to get good shots in! Naturally, since they are in a much smaller tank with basic filtration, water changes have increased a bit. LOL! They've grown out nicely though! I am pleased. Thank you for all your compliments!

Best wishes!

Harriett
03-16-2010, 11:51 AM
They look fantastic, as always! So after the floors are done [great project and also a big PITA to get through] whats the plan for the challenge fish? Are they staying in the fish room or going back to the 110?
Best regards,
Harriett

Chad Hughes
03-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Well, if they don't all pair up :p They'll likely go in my planted 150. I sold the 110 to a forum couple from LA. I had my pairs in the 150 until the breeder rack inmy fishroom was done. Now that it's done, the 150 looks empty. LOL!

calihawker
03-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Hey Chad, what ever happened to your relocation deal? Still up in the air?

Chad Hughes
03-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Hey Chad, what ever happened to your relocation deal? Still up in the air?

Looks like it's a no go! :D

Thank god!

Best wishes!