PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary to QT plants?

ssevasta
03-13-2010, 02:09 AM
Is it necessary to QT plants before I put them into my Discus show tank? If so for how long?

colinlp
03-13-2010, 03:42 AM
Now there's a question!! I had planned on giving my new plants a dip in potassium permanganate to kill any snails and then rinse them thoroughly afterwards. I wonder if that would be enough?

Eddie
03-13-2010, 05:31 AM
A dip would suffice for cleaning plants. There are different chemicals to choose from but its important to know if the plants are sensitive to those specific chemicals. I'm not a planted guy but I do keep anubias and swords in some tanks. I dip my new plants in 3% Hydrogen Peroxide and I have never had any issues. ;)

Eddie

ssevasta
03-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Eddie how much peroxide would I need to use in a 5 gallon bucket?

Eddie
03-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Eddie how much peroxide would I need to use in a 5 gallon bucket?

Enough to dip your plants. Probably like 3-4 bottles or so. :o

Eddie

ssevasta
03-14-2010, 05:27 AM
Thanks Eddie. How long should I dip them for?

Eddie
03-14-2010, 06:47 AM
Thanks Eddie. How long should I dip them for?

Not long, just a good dip, shake while in the H202 and then immediately into fresh water.

Eddie

hedut
03-14-2010, 06:51 AM
question Eddie, Peroxide could be save again after use for dipping?

Eddie
03-14-2010, 07:35 AM

Maybe Hendri but I just toss it out. Its cheap and I dont get plants that often. ;)

Eddie

Wahter
03-14-2010, 12:26 PM
You definitely want to dip your plants - otherwise in addition to snails and some algaes, you could also introduce leeches and hydra into your tanks.

Walter

ssevasta
03-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks a lot guys I feel like yet again you have saved me from a lot of potential issues.

mlw
03-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Aquabotanic has a plant disinfectant that you can buy. Once ounce to a gallon of water. Looks like PP works like a charm. 20 minutes soak, rinse in water and you are ready to go. Didn't melt my crypts which peroxide sometimes does.

tcyiu
03-16-2010, 07:43 PM

No it will not keep. Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) is very unstable. Light, movement/slight agitation, etc will quickly breakup the molecule, and you're left with water and oxygen. The extra oxygen will have formed bubbles and will have gone into the air. 2(H2O2) = 2(H20) + O2

BTW, I think straight from the bottle might be a bit concentrated. I am not a plant guy either, so someone with direct experience might want to chime in.

Hydrogen Peroxide is sold here as a 3% solution. I dilute at a 5-1 ratio before rinsing my mouth or brushing with it. It still foams up pretty good. I wonder if 3% might be harm the plants.

Tim

underwaterforest
03-16-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm not too sure if 3% hydrogen peroxide will "sterilize" your plant. But if you could get your hands on higher percentage stuff it may work well. It will certainly limit some of the anaerobes, but the aerobes have hydrogen dehydrogenase so the 3 percent will likely not kill all of them.

I've read but not tried about using the bleach dip method, I believe it was a 1:20 dilution, and Colin previously mentioned the PP which I am unfamiliar with but supposedly works. Sorry don't mean to be the devil's advocate, but I thought I bring this up.