PDA

View Full Version : Help! Wounded from fighting

whiskeyd
03-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Three days ago I noticed my brown discus had a large chunk of his pectoral fin missing and two bite marks behind it. The bite marks are about the size of a raisin. They only messing up the scales (they didn't look deep at all). I started adding salt that night slowing increasing the tank to about 2 teaspoons per 5 gallons. Yesterday I noticed the wounds had a white cotton looking film over them. Its not fuzzy but It still looks like a fungus. I put the discus in a 10G quarantine tank but I'm not sure what I should use to treat him. I've read that many fungal infections are secondary infections. Is that likely the case in my situation? Whats the best method to treat him? Thanks in advance!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/Mealsonwheels127/2.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/Mealsonwheels127/1.jpg

Eddie
03-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Three days ago I noticed my brown discus had a large chunk of his pectoral fin missing and two bite marks behind it. The bite marks are about the size of a raisin. They only messing up the scales (they didn't look deep at all). I started adding salt that night slowing increasing the tank to about 2 teaspoons per 5 gallons. Yesterday I noticed the wounds had a white cotton looking film over them. Its not fuzzy but It still looks like a fungus. I put the discus in a 10G quarantine tank but I'm not sure what I should use to treat him. I've read that many fungal infections are secondary infections. Is that likely the case in my situation? Whats the best method to treat him? I'll post a picture soon. Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty sure I know which fish this is as I just saw your other post. The possible brown, I believe is a Red Spotted Green and it definitely looked rough. Seems to have a bacterial infection and since there were dead fish in the tank, I'm almost definite. You will need to get an antibiotic called Furan-2 or Furanase. These are very mild, yet powerful antibiotics with anti-fungal properties. Keep the tank temp low, around 82F and have good air going in the tank. Up the salt to 1tbsp per 5 gallons.

Eddie

whiskeyd
03-13-2010, 08:55 PM
I'll start adding more salt now. Do you (or anyone) know if i can buy Furan-2 or Furanase at Petsmart or Petco? The other fish look fine but should I be worried about them having a bacterial infection also?

Eddie
03-13-2010, 09:11 PM
I'll start adding more salt now. Do you (or anyone) know if i can buy Furan-2 or Furanase at Petsmart or Petco? The other fish look fine but should I be worried about them having a bacterial infection also?

The fish looked to have a bacteria infection but those marks look like pleco marks. Is there a sucker fish in the tank?

Eddie

DiscusFreakaZoid
03-13-2010, 11:17 PM

i know superpetz does and petsmart but petco at least my local one hardly carries any meds

DerekFF
03-13-2010, 11:25 PM
The fish looked to have a bacteria infection but those marks look like pleco marks. Is there a sucker fish in the tank?

Eddie

Def looks like a pleco mark

whiskeyd
03-13-2010, 11:46 PM
No sucker fishes at all. It was either an angel fish or maybe one of the blood pigeons but they only seem to pick on each other. There hasn't been any aggression at all since I moved the angels.

I started upping the salt and I'm going to go buy Furan-2 or Furanase tomorrow. I'll post back tomorrow.

Eddie
03-14-2010, 01:28 AM
No sucker fishes at all. It was either an angel fish or maybe one of the blood pigeons but they only seem to pick on each other. There hasn't been any aggression at all since I moved the angels.

I started upping the salt and I'm going to go buy Furan-2 or Furanase tomorrow. I'll post back tomorrow.

Those wounds don't look like fighting from other fish unless its a pleco. It may be severe bacteria infection. Definitely get the furan-2.

Eddie

whiskeyd
03-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Petsmart/Petco does not carry Furan-2 around here so I called up one of the better LFS and they did have Furan-2. I drove up there and they had just sold the last package :(. The guy up there said KanaPlex was my next best choice. Will this work ok? I guess I don't have much of a choice since it will be the end of next week by the time Furan-2 gets here off the internet.

whiskeyd
03-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Well i went ahead and put the first dose of KanaPlex in. It says wait 2 days then do a water change and dose again. I'll keep the thread updated.

Eddie
03-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Well i went ahead and put the first dose of KanaPlex in. It says wait 2 days then do a water change and dose again. I'll keep the thread updated.

You got to go with what you got. Kanamycin is an extremely effective antibiotic but it doesn't have the anti-fungal properties as the furans. Good way to control fungus is by keeping a a good salt concentration during treatment. I'd recommend 100 grams/per 25 gallons as start. Keep good air going in the tank and keep temp at 82F.

All the best and keep us updated!

Eddie

whiskeyd
03-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks a lot Eddie! I hope he makes it :)

Eddie
03-15-2010, 06:27 AM
Thanks a lot Eddie! I hope he makes it :)

Me too, all the best.

Eddie

whiskeyd
03-15-2010, 09:00 PM
The fungus seems to be spreading. There are 3 white bumps/strings behind the two big spots. They almost look like worms but they don't move. I tried to take a picture but my camera is not the best (or I don't know how to use it :p).

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/Mealsonwheels127/IMG_1004.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/Mealsonwheels127/IMG_1000.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/Mealsonwheels127/IMG_1003.jpg

Should I add more salt? There is about 7 teaspoons in there now (10 gallon tank). Also, my turquoise discus quit eating after I removed the brown(?) discus. They used to stick by each others side at all times and swim together. Now, he only seems to come out at night but when the lights turn on or I walk into the room he runs back to his corner. His body is also a little dark. You can still see his colors but they are not as vibrant as they used to be. Should i be worried or take any preventative measures? The two blood pigeons seems perfectly healthy though.

Eddie
03-15-2010, 09:25 PM
I'd rush order some Furan-2 or Furanase. Up the salt to 4 tbsp/10 gallons for now.

Eddie

whiskeyd
03-21-2010, 05:18 PM
I've been treating him for 4 days now with Furan-2. He looks a lot better but hes not fully healed yet. In the center of the front wound there is still a little bit of white. How long should I treat him for? I dont have the directions for Furan-2 and couldn't find them on the internet. I've been adding 1/8th of a teaspoon and doing a 40-50% water change with each dose. I'm also adding salt, theres about 6 tbls in the 10G tank. Should I continue dosing Furan-2 until hes 100% or would clean water and salt be best for him now? I'm trying to take a picture but I'm not having any luck.

Eddie
03-22-2010, 01:17 AM
I've been treating him for 4 days now with Furan-2. He looks a lot better but hes not fully healed yet. In the center of the front wound there is still a little bit of white. How long should I treat him for? I dont have the directions for Furan-2 and couldn't find them on the internet. I've been adding 1/8th of a teaspoon and doing a 40-50% water change with each dose. I'm also adding salt, theres about 6 tbls in the 10G tank. Should I continue dosing Furan-2 until hes 100% or would clean water and salt be best for him now? I'm trying to take a picture but I'm not having any luck.

Continue with F-2, its 1/4 tsp per 20 gallons. I use 1/2 tsp per 20 gallons with better results and its still far below the amount used by aquatic vets for both Nitrofurazone and Furazolidone. Keep him in treatment for up to 10 days if possible.

Eddie

whiskeyd
04-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Well after 9 days of Furan-2 he was doing a lot better. The F2 killed the biological filter and I couldn't get the ammonia down even with media from one of my canister filters. The fungus was 99% gone so I went ahead and put him back in the main tank where he made a full recovery :). I don't believe he would have made it without the help I received here. Thank you so much!

Eddie
04-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Well after 9 days of Furan-2 he was doing a lot better. The F2 killed the biological filter and I couldn't get the ammonia down even with media from one of my canister filters. The fungus was 99% gone so I went ahead and put him back in the main tank where he made a full recovery :). I don't believe he would have made it without the help I received here. Thank you so much!

Wow, thats great news! Glad to hear of the recovery.

All the best,

Eddie