PDA

View Full Version : Red Enhancers

Singin4Cnu
03-14-2010, 11:20 PM
So I have a Marlboro Red from Hans that I have had for about 3 months. When I got it, it had a yellow head with a really red body. Since then he has had enormous growth but has become a solid deep orange (No more distinction between the head and body and no more deep red). Any foods or tricks I can use to gain back that color or is it just the way the fish is? I feed beef-heart, blood-worms, Live black-worms, Tetra color pellets and flakes. The water gets about a 50 percent water change daily in a 75 gallon with 7 discus so water is not an issue. Any suggestions would be great!

~Singin4cnu

Todaydiscus
03-15-2010, 04:40 AM
You can try mix Astaxanthin to the heart meal. I am using 20g – 30g for a Kg.
Or you also can try feed your discus with Krill, Brine Shrimp for sometime. This may also help to enhance the red color.
Some pellet food (Like Hakari, Red packing sinking pellet for goldfish) may also help to enhance the red.

All food must take time for the result.

Eddie
03-15-2010, 06:29 AM
So I have a Marlboro Red from Hans that I have had for about 3 months. When I got it, it had a yellow head with a really red body. Since then he has had enormous growth but has become a solid deep orange (No more distinction between the head and body and no more deep red). Any foods or tricks I can use to gain back that color or is it just the way the fish is? I feed beef-heart, blood-worms, Live black-worms, Tetra color pellets and flakes. The water gets about a 50 percent water change daily in a 75 gallon with 7 discus so water is not an issue. Any suggestions would be great!

~Singin4cnu

U want the fish to have 2 colors, yellow face and red body? :o

stanlee
03-15-2010, 10:13 AM
try carophyl red or pink to mix into the food.
:)

diamond_discus
03-15-2010, 10:18 AM
If you are already using ColorBits .. I doubt anything else would improve the red color .. Perhaps your tank light it too bright or your tank bottom/background color is too light ? I found that my red fish will show more red with darker background and dimmer light. Otherwise, they will turn pale ..

brewmaster15
03-15-2010, 11:36 AM
If you want make the most out of the red without excessively adding pigments... Astaxanthin (nutrurose) is soimething you can add to your BH mix... additionally...I add paprika and Spirulina to mine. These ingredients are all readily availible in the USA.. Stans suggestion for carophyll red/ pink will work also...but its not something that is readily availible to hobbyists in USA...its used in aquaculture and salmon farms though...so I am sure if one really wanted to get it they could.....Its a bio-engineered form of the Astaxanthin.
hth,
al

Singin4Cnu
03-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. The background is white so I am going to assume its that. The fish is very healthy just a matter of whether I was doing something wrong or if that is just they way some fish develop.

Thanks again!

~Singin4cnu