PDA

View Full Version : Red spotted green discus video

wesleydnunder
03-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Yesterday I took some vid of my wild RSGs. The cat and bird were running commentary during the shoot. Sorry for the poor quality.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd240/wesleydnunder/th_discusvid3-13-10.jpg (http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd240/wesleydnunder/?action=view&current=discusvid3-13-10.flv)

I've had this little group for a couple years now. There were originally 5 but a few months back I woke up to find one on the floor...

Mark

yim11
03-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Great looking fish! The RSG are my favorite without a doubt, the one at the beginning (and at the 1:00 mark) is an incredible fish - bet he would do well in the NADA show, wild class!!

calihawker
03-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Nice video! Makes me want to go wild! wild discus that is. ;)
Very cool!

Jstuver
03-15-2010, 02:23 AM
Beautiful fish!! And your cat and bird made me laugh they were too funny:)

Eddie
03-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Nice RSG, thanks for sharing the video.

Eddie

Ed13
03-15-2010, 08:49 AM
That fish is thick, very nice RSG!

Cooldadddyfunk286
03-15-2010, 09:10 AM
yeah, that biggest fattest RSG is def. one of the coolest wild caughts I have seen IMO. super fat, and I love the colors and pattern, especially the real fine lines on the face pattern. awesome.

dpt8
03-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Mark, I thought the fish were making all those noises !!! hehe What beauties.. Where did you buy them from ?? How large a tank are they in.. You can see they are very content.. Good job !! David T

vera
03-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Wonderful fish! looking at them makes me want to run and get a group of Greens :)
well done !!

wesleydnunder
03-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Mark, I thought the fish were making all those noises !!! hehe What beauties.. Where did you buy them from ?? How large a tank are they in.. You can see they are very content.. Good job !! David T

Thanks David. I bought them from Dan at Gulfcoast Discus/Houston Aquarium Warehouse before he sold the store and moved back to the Philippines.

They're in a 125 gal, anubias growing on the driftwood and a couple potted crypt wendtii bronze. The substrate is a half inch of pool filter sand.

When I bought the group the tank was fully planted, co2 injected, high light/ferts. I got tired of gardening and changed it to bare bottom. The fish didn't like seeing their reflections in the bottom glass and swam at a strange diagonal orientation while always looking at the bottom. That's when I added the sand. I'm so glad I did because since then they exhibit a more natural feeding behavior; blowing little puffs of water into the sand to expose food.

They are fed a variety of foods, color bits, frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, a homemade beefheart/shrimp/veggie mix and live blackworms. The female that jumped out had spawned with a former tankmate, a male red turq that kept eating the eggs. I traded him off to a guy who has turqs and wanted a big male. So, I've had one of the RSGs spawn now. I'm hoping the big wide RSG in the vid is a male and will get interested in one of the fems.

They are kept in local tapwater, originally acclimated by Dan, and they seem happy and serene. They were all in the 3" range when I got them and have grown to the size they are now in this tank.

Mark

Northwoods Discus
03-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I really like your RSGs. They appear healthy and happy. I ordered some on an order from a place I thought was reputable. There were no RSGs when they matured. It makes me want to try again. If you ever get some offspring count me in. I have just gotten in on the group order with Lucky Farms and Kevin and am awaiting some ALSS and eruptions. The RSGs would be perfect for a planted tank. Thanks for sharing the video.