PDA

View Full Version : Hi hello and question

Elizabth
03-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Hi! I'm Elizabeth and am new here. I am a biomedical researcher during the day, but that's boring so I'll get to the fish! I'm just getting into freshwater tanks. I've done saltwater for a long time and even worked in a fish store, but I haven't had a freshwater before.

I've been reading around here, and making plans for my tanks. Right now they're empty while I figure out what I want to do. I have a 100gal that I'll set up as a planted discus tank, but am also going to have a 30g bare bottom tank strictly for discus-related needs. My plan right now is to purchase ~5 discus juveniles and grow them out in the 30g with 80% water changes 2X/day. I have an additional 24g tank that I am planning on using for water aging, but if the 30g isn't enough room I can use both tanks and get a Brute to age the water in.

What do you all think? Does this sound like a good plan, and what modifications and other factors should I consider?

Eddie
03-15-2010, 06:23 AM
Hey there Elizabeth, nice to meet you and welcome to Simply! Sounds like you've got a good plan. I'd only recommend that you get 6 or 7 instead 5 juvies. Depending on the size of the juvies, they'll outgrow the 30 in no time. Might be a better idea to get them into a 55. Again, this all depends the age/size of the juvies.

All the best,

Eddie

keno
03-15-2010, 09:17 AM
I would agree, get 7 juvies and grow them out, sell a few if you dont want them to the LFS, and you'll make a nice profit :)

That 30g is fine to grow them out in if your going to keep up on water changes. When they are grown out you can put them in your 100g planted tank.

I wouldnt spilt them up, discus do better in large groups, they feel more secure and the urge to feed and out eat the others tends to keep them eating plenty of food.

tcyiu
03-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Welcome. I agree that 6-7 juveniles would be best.
As to the tanks, I do agree that larger grow-out tanks would be good, but if you already have the 30, I think it's OK.

I have successfully grown out 6 juveniles from 3" to 5-5.5" in a 30gal with 95% daily WC. (80% twice a day might be a bit wasteful - especially if you have a good bio-filter).

So anecdotally, it is doable. I would not argue that it is ideal, but feasible in a pinch.

Tim

Eddie
03-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Welcome. I agree that 6-7 juveniles would be best.
As to the tanks, I do agree that larger grow-out tanks would be good, but if you already have the 30, I think it's OK.

I have successfully grown out 6 juveniles from 3" to 5-5.5" in a 30gal with 95% daily WC. (80% twice a day might be a bit wasteful - especially if you have a good bio-filter).

So anecdotally, it is doable. I would not argue that it is ideal, but feasible in a pinch.

Tim

Tim, you grew out some 6 each 3 inch juvies to 5 inches in a 30 gallon! Thats insane, wish I could get that kind of growth in a 30.

Eddie

mmorris
03-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Are you absolutely certain you will never miss a wc? Not for a conference in Hawaii, or a weekend away with the friends? Do you only want 5 discus in the 100 gallon? Since you are planning in advance (clever you :)) buy the varieties and number now that you will want later in the 100 gallon and grow them out in a 55.

Ed13
03-15-2010, 07:40 PM
If you are going to start with juveniles then I'd go with 6-8 as mentioned before. With that number I'd step up to a larger tank a 40 breeder or a 55g would do the job.

Elizabth
03-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Hmm. I was planning on 5 in the 100g, but maybe more is better, and I can always sell them. Could also have my pick of who grows out prettiest.

As far as being able to do the water changes, I'm not much of a traveler or anything like that. Should something happen my husband is a fish person and we've got fish people on both sides of our family (guess it runs in the blood), so I would be able to get it done in most situations. At worst, there are a few maintenance services around town that I know of, one in particular being very good - does all the work on my mom's reef tank. Wouldn't be cheap, but he could do it in a pinch.

How long will it take them to grow out?

Eddie
03-15-2010, 09:34 PM
How long will it take them to grow out?

This would depend on their water change routine, essential minerals in the water, feed quality and feeding routine. Say 2" fish are 2 months old on average, they will continue to grow for another 10-12 months. Even then, they'll get thicker as they age past 15 months.

Eddie

Elizabth
03-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Could be that I'll have to wait a while then. Right now there's a possibility at work that I'll have to relocate for a couple of years and do the long distance thing with my husband and pets. Wouldn't start until October, but if they'll still be super high maintenance by then I'd hate to leave my husband with that. I'll have to talk it over with him.

Eddie
03-16-2010, 12:44 AM
Could be that I'll have to wait a while then. Right now there's a possibility at work that I'll have to relocate for a couple of years and do the long distance thing with my husband and pets. Wouldn't start until October, but if they'll still be super high maintenance by then I'd hate to leave my husband with that. I'll have to talk it over with him.

Ah, you could make it easy for him, everything automated. ;)

Eddie

calihawker
03-16-2010, 01:19 AM
Welcome to SD?
If you've done salt water (reef?) then maybe you have some kind of controller that could help you automate w/c? That's what I did with my hectic schedule. A couple pumps and some creative plumbing and it's nearly hands off.

tcyiu
03-16-2010, 01:44 AM
Tim, you grew out some 6 each 3 inch juvies to 5 inches in a 30 gallon! Thats insane, wish I could get that kind of growth in a 30.

Eddie

Hey Eddie,

You deserve the credit (along with Forest/Kenny :) )! I feed a variation of your BH formula, and I also feed Prime Reef based on your recommendation. The only thing I do that is different is I religiously feed live CBW cause I feel that live critters provide certain nutrients that we can't recreate.

There were seven in the 30gal. But the smallest leopard kept getting sick and eventually, I had to put him down. :-( By that time, the larger ones had already ramped up the growth curve, so it seems that even seven in a 30 does not impede growth. But of course they were smaller then.

Of the six left in the 30, the two runts are in the ~ 5" range. These two had gotten sick at some point and were off feeding for at least a week or two each. Then there are two normal ones that are slightly above 5". Then I have one BD and one leopard who are both in the 5.5" range.

I got all seven from Kenny in September, 2009.

Here are the two largest. Now that I actually measure them, I think they're a scosh over 5.5" There's a picture of the each next to a ruler I taped to the tank. Then there's a copy of the picture with the ruler rotated (using an editor), so I could measure nose to tail.

Tim

Eddie
03-16-2010, 03:13 AM
Great work man, getting them above 5 inches in a 30 gallon! I know its difficult the measure them while in the tank. Great shots of them chilling by the ruler.

You don't think the whole group would be larger if grown out in a larger tank? Your experience is similar to mine, while trying to grow out 6 in a 30 gallon, years ago. There were several that never really grew out to full potential.

Take care,

Eddie

terps
03-16-2010, 08:46 AM
Hi! I'm Elizabeth and am new here. I am a biomedical researcher during the day, but that's boring so I'll get to the fish! I'm just getting into freshwater tanks. I've done saltwater for a long time and even worked in a fish store, but I haven't had a freshwater before.

I've been reading around here, and making plans for my tanks. Right now they're empty while I figure out what I want to do. I have a 100gal that I'll set up as a planted discus tank, but am also going to have a 30g bare bottom tank strictly for discus-related needs. My plan right now is to purchase ~5 discus juveniles and grow them out in the 30g with 80% water changes 2X/day. I have an additional 24g tank that I am planning on using for water aging, but if the 30g isn't enough room I can use both tanks and get a Brute to age the water in.

What do you all think? Does this sound like a good plan, and what modifications and other factors should I consider?

There's no need to do massive daily water changes if you have good filtration in the tank and don't over feed. You're just wasting time and water.

Eddie
03-16-2010, 09:24 AM
There's no need to do massive daily water changes if you have good filtration in the tank and don't over feed. You're just wasting time and water.

This works well for goldfish. ;)

Elizabth
03-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Well, I've talked to my husband and he's pretty excited about the idea. He's coming up with ways to automate.

Thanks so much for all of the great feedback!

Eddie
03-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Well, I've talked to my husband and he's pretty excited about the idea. He's coming up with ways to automate.

Thanks so much for all of the great feedback!

Sounds great Elizabeth! Keep us updated on the set-up and also when you get the new discus!

All the best,

Eddie

Elizabth
03-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Well, I now have the big tank up and running with some rasboras and cardinals. I had Seachem stability recommended to me as a means to avoid the cycling process, and I've got to say, it works. Couple of days and conditions are perfect still.

My accountant (AKA husband) says that we have to wait a while for discus (boo). I am going to keep researching and asking questions, though, so that I'm well prepared!

I actually have a question about filtration. It seems like sponge filters are the way to go, but I was wondering if additional filtration would be helpful, or at least wouldn't hurt anything! I've got biowheels from the 100gal that have been replaced with Eheims, so I have it laying around anyway, and could put them on the growup tank in addition to sponge filtration.

Eddie
03-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Sounds good Elizabeth!

Filtration is entirely personal preference. You'll find there are many advantages to using a sponge filter along with any other type of filtration. A sponge adds a huge area for nitrifying bacteria, they are very easy to maintain/clean, you can use move it a QT tank if need be, very cost effective to run and I am sure there are more reasons. Some don't use them for the aesthetics of the tank but if you are planning on barebottom, then it's really an excellent source of filtration.

Eddie

tcyiu
03-18-2010, 09:15 AM
I actually have a question about filtration. It seems like sponge filters are the way to go, but I was wondering if additional filtration would be helpful, or at least wouldn't hurt anything! I've got biowheels from the 100gal that have been replaced with Eheims, so I have it laying around anyway, and could put them on the growup tank in addition to sponge filtration.

Additional filtration is always a good thing. Can never have too much. Even if your bioload is low, the bacteria population will shrink to adjust. And will just as quickly grow back if there's an increase in waste.

As for sponge, I personally don't like them (aesthetics). But others swear by them. It's a personal taste thing.

Tim