PDA

View Full Version : Heat and aerate water?

joeh
03-15-2010, 09:39 PM
I have read a lot of people say on this forum that they heat and aerate tap water in a holding container prior to putting it in their tanks.

I have never done this. I always just hook a hose to the laundry tub, adjust the water (using hot and cold knob) until it feels like the same temperature as the temp in the tank. Then I put the hose in the tank and dump in the apporopiate amount of Stress Coat w/ conditioner to neutralize the chlorine and choramine that I understand are added to the city water supply.

The tap water and the water in my tanks has a Ph of about 7.6, but a very low KH (about 3). I usually do 30-40% water changes roughly twice a week.

Is it hard on discus to undergo this type of water change? What is the advantage of pre-heating and aging or aerating the water if you can make it about the right temperature and are treating with a water conditioner anyway?

My discus does seem stressed. I dont know if it is because of the way I do water changes or because of some other factor but I am trying to figure it out.

diamond_discus
03-15-2010, 11:02 PM
I suggest you read this thread :
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=77419

The main reason to aerate or age water is to de-gas the water. If you add tap water directly into the tank, you will see lots of bubbles (gas) attached to the tank wall, and also to the fish body .. This is very stressful to the fish and to certain extent, it will kill the fish. That's why most of us will age the water, will air stone, for long period of time (typically 24 hrs). In order to keep the water warm, you need to use a heater.

I have been doing this routine for quite a few years, until recently I increase to so many tanks. In the winter time, the heaters stay on a lot and my electricity bill went sky high. So I changed to use warm tap water, but I still age that for at least 4 or 5 hours before I fill the water into tanks.

Here's my thread on using household soft water:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=76804

Jhhnn
03-15-2010, 11:22 PM
As dd points out, tap water can have a lot of trapped gas, which can give your fish the bends, or give wild pH swings if that gas is CO2.

That will vary locally and seasonally. If what you're doing works for you, and has for some time, then it's right for your local conditions.

I think that a lot of aquarists' problems with gassy water could be alleviated by using a sprayer attachment or a simple short degassing tower filled with bioballs or similar, but I can't say that with any authority.

My aquarium water gets conditioned, aerated and heated for 24hrs as part of my water changing system. the whole thing really cuts down the amount of time required- I change 50-70% of the water in a 120 and two 75's in 20 minutes flat, and don't have to pay much attention during that or worry about overfilling. More tanks don't really add more time, at least not yet, because each tank has its own drain system, fill barrel and fill pump, and because the barrel fill cycle from the tap is automated, shuts off automatically... Not cheap, but nobody said it would be...

mjs020294
03-15-2010, 11:48 PM
As dd points out, tap water can have a lot of trapped gas, which can give your fish the bends,

That is highly unlikely, if not impossible. Fish can get the bends under extreme circumstances: Being pulled up on the end of a fishing line from depth, over 200ft; and maybe around hydroelectric power-stations where the water is very churned up.

joeh
03-16-2010, 01:05 AM
Thank you for the information.

After reading the posts and the enclosed link I think that fits with what I am seeing in my tanks.

I have noticed lately that there have soemtimes been more bubble on things after a water change than I had seen in the past. Sometimes the water even turns white with tiny bubbles when I do a water change.

It will be a challenge however to create a way to aerate and heat the water somewhere and still do water changes quickly and easily. I can do all my tanks pretty quickly and easily my hose and laundry tub.

Maybe someone has a system or suggestion for a type of pump or container that I could use? Do most people use a an powerhead with venturi to aerate? or an airpump and airstone? I like my set up to be as simple, inexpensive and convenient as possible.

mjs020294
03-16-2010, 01:28 AM
I have noticed lately that there have soemtimes been more bubble on things after a water change than I had seen in the past.

The two bodies of water are different temperatures. Try two buckets of water: One 2-3 degree cooler than you tank and the other the same temperature. Pour them both in and see which one leaves a lot of small bubbles.

Eddie
03-16-2010, 05:42 AM
Maybe someone has a system or suggestion for a type of pump or container that I could use? Do most people use a an powerhead with venturi to aerate? or an airpump and airstone? I like my set up to be as simple, inexpensive and convenient as possible.

I've used both submersible pumps and or airstones. Currently using airstones and easy. Each storage container has a submersible pump with flexible hose running to the tanks. Drain the tank however you find easiest and then plug in the pump to fill your tank. Easy as pie...

Eddie

jeff@zina.com
03-16-2010, 03:19 PM
I've used both submersible pumps and or airstones. Currently using airstones and easy. Each storage container has a submersible pump with flexible hose running to the tanks. Drain the tank however you find easiest and then plug in the pump to fill your tank. Easy as pie...

Doing the same here. I don't heat the storage water, but I probably should have over this winter when room temps dropped low enough to be an issue.

Jeff

Jhhnn
03-17-2010, 08:41 PM
That is highly unlikely, if not impossible. Fish can get the bends under extreme circumstances: Being pulled up on the end of a fishing line from depth, over 200ft; and maybe around hydroelectric power-stations where the water is very churned up.

Read Yassmeena's thread linked by Diamond Discus, above. clearly, the fish had gas bubbles forming in their bodies, which is the bends by any other name...

mjs020294
03-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Read Yassmeena's thread linked by Diamond Discus, above. clearly, the fish had gas bubbles forming in their bodies, which is the bends by any other name...

As a certified diver I do know a little about the causes of decompression sickness. The dissolved gases in your water are pretty irrelevant without changes in pressure, and for fish the changes need to be very large.

The only real issue with dissolved gases in tap water would be slightly higher CO2 content when the water is first drawn.