PDA

View Full Version : A mixed bag, or all the same?

srusso
03-16-2010, 10:14 PM
I am finally ready for discus! I am looking at different pictures and as an over all look do you think it looks better to have a mixed group of discus to a uniform group of discus... Also I have a 55 gallon I am thinking of getting 4 or 5... good number?

rickztahone
03-16-2010, 10:16 PM
I am finally ready for discus! I am looking at different pictures and as an over all look do you think it looks better to have a mixed group of discus to a uniform group of discus... Also I have a 55 gallon I am thinking of getting 4 or 5... good number?

it's all a personal preference. there was a thread not too long ago with this exact same topic in mind, let me try to find that for you

here you go:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=77166&highlight=mixing+strains

tcyiu
03-16-2010, 11:34 PM

Like Ricardo says, it's a subjective thing.

BTW, 4 is a no go. I think 5 is barely enough to spread the aggression around. You may get lucky and get 5 fish that settle quickly on a pecking order and live happily ever after. But maybe not.

Better to start off with 6-7.

With good maintenance, you can bend the 10 gal per fish rule. But if you do have 6-7 in the 55 gallon, I would not add more bioload (i.e. additional tank mates).

Tim

darkknight87
03-17-2010, 02:42 AM
Its all personal preference.
But I would go wtih atleast six, always seemed to my favorite amount.
Personally, I go with mixed..IO love the variety of each fish standing out because none of the others look anything like it. But tanks with all the same are always nice too

ValorG
03-17-2010, 02:52 AM
For me, for my show tank, I would prefer a group of the same type. If I had a large enough tank, I would go with maybe 2 groups of 2 different types.

Elite Aquaria
03-17-2010, 07:33 AM
If I am planning on breeding down the road I would buy a group of one strain...otherwise I would mix with whatever I liked...

srusso
03-17-2010, 09:18 PM
wow... i didnt know soooo many others felt the same way... thanks for the link

I think i want to go with 7... I didnt think i could do that many... thanks!

I have a heavily planted tank... i should up date my photo... all the plants really grew... cant wait to get discus!! finally!!