PDA

View Full Version : PH

swank
03-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Having a hard time gettting my ph down. I've been using a discus buffer to try to lower but no such luck. I understand I can to the RO route, dont really want to. I can use Peat moss, but looking other suggestions.. thanks

Scribbles
03-17-2010, 10:18 PM
What is the PH of your tap and your tank?

Chris

Eddie
03-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Having a hard time gettting my ph down. I've been using a discus buffer to try to lower but no such luck. I understand I can to the RO route, dont really want to. I can use Peat moss, but looking other suggestions.. thanks

Also, why are trying to bring your PH down.

Eddie

swank
03-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Its way in the 8's

Eddie
03-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Its way in the 8's

Have you tried aging it over night with good aeration? Whats the PH like after 24 hours of aging?

wesleydnunder
03-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Likely the reason the ph won't come down, or stay down is the KH. Water's alkalynity is it's ability to neutralize acid, buffering the ph up. Adding acids may have no effect or may bring down the ph temporarily if the KH of the water is high enough to counteract the acid. How are the fish behaving? If they're not stressing over the ph, I wouldn't.

keno
03-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Unless your trying to breed your discus or raising heckels a ph in the 8's will be just fine for raising discus.

The myth about keeping domesticated discus in acidic water is long gone! Keep the PH stable and the discus will be fine.

Mess with the ph, you get wild swings and your discus will become stressed, sick and die, most of us learned this the hard way, now that low ph myth is dead thank God :)