PDA

View Full Version : Sponge filter in breeding tank ?

diamond_discus
03-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Do you use sponge filter in your breeding tank ? or just air stone ?
Do you keep a sponge in the tank until you start having free swimmer ?
Is there any white sponge filter available that the frys won't attach to them ?

seanyuki
03-18-2010, 10:45 AM
You can also use a box filter.....I am using those at home.

http://www.kensfish.com/boxfilters.html

Eddie
03-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Is there any white sponge filter available that the frys won't attach to them ?

I've gotten used to running sponge filters behind a poret foam divider from Hans. I never have to adjust the flow or anything and when the fry ar old enough, I just remove the poret foam divider. ;)

Eddie

seanyuki
03-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Hey Eddie....which colour poret foam from Hans?....i like the green ones.

Justice
03-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Is there any white sponge filter available that the frys won't attach to them?

You could make a couple of white sponges to replace the black sponges on your sponge filter using a AquaClear 110 replacement sponge.

Just cut the AC 110 sponge in half and make a rounded hole in the center of each.

I use a steak knife to make mine with it and only takes a couple of minutes to make.~HTH~

diamond_discus
03-18-2010, 11:55 AM
You could make a couple of white sponges to replace the black sponges on your sponge filter using a AquaClear 110 replacement sponge.

Just cut the AC 110 sponge in half and make a rounded hole in the center of each.

I use a steak knife to make mine with it and only takes a couple of minutes to make.~HTH~

Ahh, good idea. Thanks.

Eddie
03-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Hey Eddie....which colour poret foam from Hans?....i like the green ones.

Yup Francis, I got the green! I like it alot also.

Take care my friend,

Eddie

Discus-n00b
03-18-2010, 09:07 PM

That is a good idea! I've been looking for white sponges.

alpine
03-20-2010, 08:09 AM
I am not that much of an experience breeder but with what I have done I have never had any problems with my Hydro IIIs sponge filters in my 30 gallon cube breeder tanks .I have the sponge and a ball air difuser.

Roberto.

wiifish
03-21-2010, 01:16 AM
I use sponge filters in all my tanks, breeding tanks and otherwise. I only recently had my 2 batches of fry and when they went free swimming, a lot of them did go to the sponge and I had to remove the sponge and I actually did not use any filtration or aeration as I did not want to make it too difficult for the fry to attach to the parents. Everyone did well. I lowered the water level to almost the height of the parents which IMO does really help they fry out.

I found from my little experience that the fry ARE attracted to dark things in the tank.....I never thought of this when I got the equipment. For example... I have a heater and the top of the submersible heater is black as is the suction cups. Since my Pigeon checker fry could not attach well to the parents, they ALL went to the heater. The second thing they went to was the BLACK SILICONE on my tank. If I knew I would have never bought them. I would have gotten the clear/white silicone tanks.

Hope that helps and good luck with your fish!

Carolina discus
03-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Sponge filters are used in all the breeding tanks...when fry go free swimming, I remove them and add an airstone for 3 days...after 3 days, the fry are used to feeding off the parents and they will go back and forth from sponge filter to parents.
I had tried wrapping some withe filter fabric around the sponge but that was a pain....just use an airstone...dont worry about ammonia as you are feeding lite during this time and probably have the water level dropped....you can always add some fresh water each time you clean debris off bottom...
works like a charm
hope it helps

Eric