PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive problems help please

brincatmark
03-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Hi, today I bought a tank partner for my discus. The old discus went apeshit, spent like 40 mins running after the other one. I understand that this is territorial behaviour characteristic of cichlids.

I took the 'old' discus into a hospital tank, and left the new discus in my big tank. I also rearranged some plants etc.

Do you think it'll calm down when reintroduced? After how many days should I reintroduce it?

Billy Vu
03-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Hi,

This is normal behavior. They will continue to fight for about about a week until the pecking order is established. It happens everytime when I introduce new fish.

Cheers,
Billy

brincatmark
03-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks for your fast response Billy,

Thing is the new one is not fighting back. It went under the filter, on its side.

kaceyo
03-18-2010, 04:36 PM
You may need to put a sturdy divider between them if they start injuring each other. Let them get used to each other without doing any damage.

Chad Hughes
03-18-2010, 04:37 PM
You only have two discus?

Unless the discus pair up, they'll continue to fight. One of them may be killed. You need to have several (around 6) discus to spread out aggression.

How big is your tank?

Harriett
03-18-2010, 04:42 PM

Unless the discus pair up, they'll continue to fight. One of them may be killed. You need to have several (around 6) discus to spread out aggression.

How big is your tank?

DITTO Chad's response. If it is a pair you are trying for, separate for a week with light diffusor panel and try introducing them again.
Best regards,
Harriett

kaceyo
03-18-2010, 05:10 PM

How big is your tank?

Good catch. I didn't even pick up on that. Chances of them ever getting along are slim, unless, as mentioned, they are male and female, AND they pair up.

SHAD0W
03-18-2010, 06:45 PM
I agree. 6 is deffinatly the magic number! Sick of playing referee with my 4 at the moment!

Scribbles
03-19-2010, 03:16 AM
Adding more discus will help to spread out the aggesion. Just be sure to quarantine them first.

Chris

nc0gnet0
03-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Should they all be the same size in say a group of 6 or do you have some wiggle room here?

Eddie
03-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Should they all be the same size in say a group of 6 or do you have some wiggle room here?

I recommend same size/age.

Eddie

RodneyL001
03-22-2010, 07:39 AM
You didn't say what size tank you have, that will determine what your next move is. That one fish will be stressed out. Discus are notorius finicky eaters, if he won't eat, you may have to entice him with some live foods.

Harriett
03-23-2010, 08:45 AM
You didn't say what size tank you have, that will determine what your next move is. That one fish will be stressed out. Discus are notorius finicky eaters, if he won't eat, you may have to entice him with some live foods.

Just wanted to clarify for the newbies, from my experience: discus can be finicky eaters if they are housed alone without other discus, or if they are stressed/sick, or if they are reared on a single food source.. vary the diet and healthy discus have voracious appetites.
Best regards,
Harriett