PDA

View Full Version : does tap water harm the filter?

vss
03-18-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm now training my fish to get used to my local tap water. These days I change 70% of water directly from the tap without conditioner, and have not found much negative effect on my fish yet. But I don't know about the filter, is there any strong impact from the chemicals in the tap water to the bacteria cultivated on the fliter media? Thanks!

-Xiaofei :)

diamond_discus
03-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Check with your water company to see if tap water contains any chlorine and chloramine. If so, you need to treat your tap water with conditioner like Prime or Safe.

I used tap water for several years with all kinds of filter.

William Palumbo
03-18-2010, 02:43 PM
I would think that ANYTHING in your tap that may harm your filter...will for sure harm your fish...Bill

mitchar19
03-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Unless your tap water is unchlorinated (which I have never heard of) then you are probally doing a great deal of harm to your fish. Chlorine is toxic to fish even in a small amount, it causes cell death. Also, Chlorine kills bacteria, even beneficial bacteria so I imagine it would destroy any beneficial bacteria that has built up on your aquarium filter.

Chad Hughes
03-18-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm going to guess that you are on a well. If not, you've gotten extremely lucky. What part of the country are you in? Most city water has chlorine and possibly cholramine. These two definately need neutralized. I would think you'd notice dead fish before you realized your filter was dead.

I'm curious to hear about your water source!

Best wishes!

kaceyo
03-18-2010, 04:30 PM
I live in Seattle and get the city water supply. Even though it has chlorine I was able to get away with doing wc's without a conditioner. For a while. One day, about 20 min after a wc, I saw the fish in my tanks all doing spirals and loops and, basicly, barely alive. I freaked. First thing I did was add a dechlorinating conditioner. Some of the fish started returning to normal within a few seconds and they were all back to normal within 10min.
Fortunetly I caught it early enough to save them, but I know what would have happend if I'd left the house or gone to bed right after the wc.
If your on city water, always use a dechlor. Period!!!

Jhhnn
03-18-2010, 08:02 PM
My Denver tapwater is loaded with chloramines- I wouldn't even consider a water change w/o prime, safe, cloram-x or amquel plus. I take no chances in that regard, ever, and strongly advise others to do the same.

Other than that, it's really pretty good water for fish keeping...

Eddie
03-18-2010, 08:55 PM
My Denver tapwater is loaded with chloramines- I wouldn't even consider a water change w/o prime, safe, cloram-x or amquel plus. I take no chances in that regard, ever, and strongly advise others to do the same.

Other than that, it's really pretty good water for fish keeping...

I'm with Jhhnn, always add a conditioner. Best to be on the Seachem Safe side! :D

vss
03-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys! :) I feel lucky to have all your advice before something unexpected happening. I will use my storage tank again with prime :)

Thanks!

-Xiaofei:)

vss
03-18-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm going to guess that you are on a well. If not, you've gotten extremely lucky. What part of the country are you in? Most city water has chlorine and possibly cholramine. These two definately need neutralized. I would think you'd notice dead fish before you realized your filter was dead.

I'm curious to hear about your water source!

Best wishes!

THanks Chad! I'm in Madison, Wisconsin. I have to say the local water is pretty bad, that even many local people don't dare to drink from the tap directly. The hardness is rediculous, I need to clean the calcium layer on the tank wall using razor blade every week to keep the fish visible :o I don't know whether they use cholramine or chlorine in the tap water. by far I have not found any side effect of the tap water to my fish, but maybe the damage is cummulative. I will use my storage tank again to be safe. Thanks for the advice! :)

vss
03-18-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm with Jhhnn, always add a conditioner. Best to be on the Seachem Safe side! :D

Thanks Eddie. Never tried the SAFE but will get one after using up this bottle of Prime :)

-xiaofei :)

Eddie
03-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks Eddie. Never tried the SAFE but will get one after using up this bottle of Prime :)

-xiaofei :)

Yeah man, its the HEAT! You will save TONS of money. You don't need to use your storage container. I drain my tanks, add Safe, then fill. I only use a storage tank for baby fry. ;)

Eddie

tcyiu
03-18-2010, 11:28 PM
I don't know whether they use cholramine or chlorine in the tap water. by far I have not found any side effect of the tap water to my fish, but maybe the damage is cummulative. I will use my storage tank again to be safe. Thanks for the advice! :)

One additional thought. Water companies periodically adjust their additives.

I always use a de-chlorinator when I do WCs. So it surprised the heck out me when my fish starting doing the spiral of death. Someone here (Sorry I forgot who) said that water companies INCREASE the dosage of chlorine/chloramine after a heavy rain. This is in case there is raw sewage overflow into the city pipes.

So now, I always double dose after a rain or when the temperature turns warm.

The point of all this is that your tap water may be fine for a few weeks, and then BAM, your fish start to show stress. Don't let the fact that the fish currently seem fine on tap water fool you.

Tim

kitykatfunkiehat
03-19-2010, 12:42 AM
My tap has never shown any chlorine readings. Weird? That is not to say I don't add AquaClear..I dose the whole tank for water changes to be safe. I don't have any tests for chloramine, but I still think it is strange I've never seen any readings for chlorine.

tcyiu
03-19-2010, 01:25 AM
My tap has never shown any chlorine readings. Weird? That is not to say I don't add AquaClear..I dose the whole tank for water changes to be safe. I don't have any tests for chloramine, but I still think it is strange I've never seen any readings for chlorine.

Not weird at all. The fact is, every utility company is run differently based on the water that is found locally (and the politics of the people running the utilities). The water out of your tap may not contain any chlorine/chloramine because your city/town's engineers did not deem it to be necessary. Count yourself amongst the lucky.

I think that is the key point. Not all tap water is the same. Some like yours will be usable straight from the faucet. Other tap water will kill fish.

Tim

Scribbles
03-19-2010, 02:56 AM
Better to be safe than sorry. It's cheaper to add a dechlorinator than to replace a tank of discus.

Chris

kitykatfunkiehat
03-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Better to be safe than sorry. It's cheaper to add a dechlorinator than to replace a tank of discus.

Touche, of course!

Jhhnn
03-19-2010, 09:16 PM
As has been said, there are lots of variables, but it's important to note that more and more suppliers are using chloramines to meet EPA guidelines for water quality. And it's not like they make some big announcement about it, either- it just happens out of the blue...

Using one of the aforementioned premium water conditioners means pretty much no worries and no unpleasant surprises...