PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and advice

bartmanrob
03-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Hi all! I am new to the forum and raising discus. Let me explain what I have then I have a few questions.

I have a 100 gallon show tank with a Rena xp3 canister filter 300w Rena Heater & 300w stealth backup. It has one 40w aqua glo 18k bulb. Right now I have a large Angel fish a plecostomus in there and it has cycled. I plan on getting rid of the plecostomus and getting some bushy nose catfish. I can also get rid of the Angel later if there are compatibility issues.

I also have a 45 gallon tall QT tank with a 20w aquarium light and a bio-wheel filter system.

I have 2-55 gallon drums for water storage. One for RO and one for tap.

I've had 2 discus in my QT tank for about 2 months. I live in a smaller town. I picked my fish up in Seattle. I wanted to start with 2 to make sure I could care for them properly. So far so good. I plan on getting more but I have some questions.

First, my filter intake and exhaust tubes in my show tank have algae in them. Is this a problem for the discus? The filter system is about 3 months old.

Next, I have my lights on a timer right now for both tanks. I see my discus pair swimming around in the dark but when the light turns on they go to the bottom corner for about 15 minutes until their eyes adjust I guess. Some people have moonlight in their tanks. Is this why? Will it cause an algae increase if you have that on all night?

My fish seem healthy so far but I am wondering if I should keep some meds on hand since I may not be able to find it at our local stores. What would you recommend having on hand?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

calihawker
03-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Hi Rob. Welcome!

Can't comment much on the algae unless you describe what kind it is. Moonlights aren't enough to grow it though. Not that I've ever seen.

The 20 watts on the qt tank isn't all that bright. The question is how do they act during the normal day. Are they out and about looking at you for munchies? All of mine are a little funny right at lights on but 10 minutes later they're looking like they would eat me.:D

As far as meds, I keep melafix, prazipro and quickcure. I'm not far from a good lfs though. If you don't know what those do, scour the med section for some great threads on caring for sick ones.

bartmanrob
03-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks Steve-O They act just like yours 10 mins after lights on. For the color I`m not sure. Im color blind, Looks like black spots. Not the green stuff that grows in the tank. Thanks Rob

bartmanrob
03-19-2010, 12:18 AM
Hi Rob. Welcome!

Can't comment much on the algae unless you describe what kind it is.

I am going to try to attach a pic of the tube. Not real clear but gives you an idea. Looks like black speckles.

Look like the pic didn't attach...

bartmanrob
03-19-2010, 12:23 AM
I am going to try to attach a pic of the tube. Not real clear but gives you an idea. Looks like black speckles.

Look like the pic didn't attach...

Trying pic again

Scribbles
03-19-2010, 02:49 AM
Hi Rob, and welcome to Simply Discus! It sounds like you have a great set up. It's good to hear that your 2 discus are getting along so well but I would get more to make a school of 6 or more.

Chris

tcyiu
03-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi all! I am new to the forum and raising discus.

Welcome. You've come to the right place.

First, my filter intake and exhaust tubes in my show tank have algae in them. Is this a problem for the discus? The filter system is about 3 months old.

No. When the tubes start to clog and reduce water flow, you will need to clean them. There are a number of ways to do it. My favorite is to use drip irrigation hose (thin diameter almost rigid vinyl) and use that to push a wad of cotton or polyester fibre through the pipes and hoses.

My fish seem healthy so far but I am wondering if I should keep some meds on hand since I may not be able to find it at our local stores. What would you recommend having on hand?

Regular uniodized salt is my first choice. As for the other stuff, I'm sure there will be lots of opinions. Here's a thread that should be useful: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=34834

Try ordering the stuff thru the internet if your local stores don't carry the supplies you need.

Tim