PDA

View Full Version : need help with ID

nc0gnet0
03-18-2010, 11:16 PM
I picked this guy up at a LFS last week, but I can't seem to identify him. Went through all the pictures and never found a match....any ideas? I am sure he is pretty common as the selection here is limited.

The second picture is a better representation of his body color, the flash seems to have washed him out a bit on the first, but the pictures really don't do him justice.

vss
03-18-2010, 11:18 PM
from the phenotype it is like a marlboro. Could be a throwback from red melon, or maybe a result of outcrossing melon with other strains...just my guess..

-Xiaofei :)

1nvad3r
03-18-2010, 11:23 PM
your fish might lighthen up in color if you change gravel and background to something lighter. It looks to me like a golden based pigeon blood. I got one that similar to your fish. I bought as "Golden Phoenix Discus" LFS naming scheme. If you want quality fish and less trouble in the long run , i suggest you buy from SD sponsors. Type in that name in google you will see your fish goodluck with that one looks pretty healthy.

nc0gnet0
03-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Background is blue acryllic, and honestly I don't want him to lighten up in color ;) Yes I also plan on buying from Kenny with his next batch, but i found this guy and 3 others that I liked locally. So you are saying this is not a "quality" fish?

1nvad3r
03-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Ive had my share of LFS nightmares, your local LFS seems to run a pretty good place if you got 3 more from there. Just saying you might get a nicer selection of Discus from sponsors : ) You should know Kenny's fishes :) thats the quality i want in my tank.

Eddie
03-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Yeah, not a definitive strain or type. Some form of pigeon blood.

Eddie

nc0gnet0
03-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Yeah his body color is more of a bright orange that turns to orange/yellow at the edges. I guess he's just a mutt ;)

kitykatfunkiehat
03-19-2010, 12:31 AM
My discus kind of looks like that! As far as I know, mine's a Marlboro Red. He has a little tiny bit of peppering on his nose, and is recently showing a bit of blue, like yours.

Scribbles
03-19-2010, 02:58 AM
I'd say that it's a Marlboro Red or a MR mix.

Chris