PDA

View Full Version : Medicines or poison?

champak
03-19-2010, 07:21 AM
I wanted to gather information on how many people had sucess and how many dumped there discus fish in to disaster death while treating with medicines.

Eddie
03-19-2010, 07:59 AM
I have killed fish using chemicals before, unfortunately. Happened once and I can't say that it won't happen again. There are many variables that can affect the way chemicals work when added to the aquarium. Much of it has to do with the water parameters.

Many/most chemicals used for aquatic treatments are very dangerous and should be used with extreme caution. No matter what chemical I use on my fish, I treat it as if it were acid. Also, If its something I have little experience using, I will ALWAYS seek help before trying to wing it on my own. Even when it comes to chemicals that I have used before, I get a second opinion.

Eddie

blade59
03-19-2010, 08:29 AM
I have had success twice and disaster once. I'm like Eddie, you must be very careful and do plenty of research before you attempt any meds. They can be your friend or when they are not used correctly or researched, they can wipe out an entire tank.

Don Trinko
03-19-2010, 08:33 AM
I have never had fish "drop dead" because of medication but I have had fish stop eating and appear worse for a time. This was with Levamasol.
I have used Prazi, Metro, Erythro, Formalin, Furan, and Malachite green with no bad effect. Don T.

keno
03-19-2010, 08:58 AM
In all my years ive only used fluke tabs and metronidazole. I found the fluke tabs very hard on the fish, but they survived.

Metro is great stuff to get fish eating again.

champak
03-19-2010, 09:13 AM
people who are expert can sometimes pull out there discus from disease but newbies?

Eddie
03-19-2010, 09:39 AM
people who are expert can sometimes pull out there discus from disease but newbies?

Newbies can also. Here is my take on it. I see alot of hobbyist treating fish without getting any advice on what to do. Its not as easy as one might think. Sure, the package says to throw this in, throw that in but every medicine has a specific purpose. It is extremely important for a hobbyist to get all the information about any chemical used in fish treatment. Another common mistake is when people treat the symptoms of disease without actually fixing the root cause. A fish is vulnerable to disease when stressed from inadequate environmental conditions, poor diet/malnutrition, aggressive tankmates, unconditioned water, constant changes in water parameters. Cover all the bases and a strong fish can withstand disease with it own immunities.

Eddie