PDA

View Full Version : pair just spawned but fighting

vartan09
03-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Ok. Hello my names Vartan. Very excited my pair just spawned in my 29 gallon breeding tank. Both parents are fighting over who gets to take care of the eggs. The male is just overpowering the female. Im going to have to take either the male or female out. Im thinking of taking the male out is that ok? Help please asap.

Eddie
03-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Ok. Hello my names Vartan. Very excited my pair just spawned in my 29 gallon breeding tank. Both parents are fighting over who gets to take care of the eggs. The male is just overpowering the female. Im going to have to take either the male or female out. Im thinking of taking the male out is that ok? Help please asap.

Is this their first time spawning? You may try to take one out but IME, if its a newly formed pair, the single fish may end up eating the whole batch. Learned this the hard way on several of my pairs. :o Otherwise, maybe putting a egg guard up and seeing if the pair settles it. I had a pair that ALWAYS fought after spawning and would just knock all the eggs off the cone while fighting. What crazy buggers. :(

Eddie

vartan09
03-19-2010, 10:35 PM
this is their first time in the breeding tank but have spawned 6 times before in a 55 gallon tank. Farthest ive gone before is having about 8 wriggler attaching to mom. But they eventually ate them, but i wasnt using r/o before.

vartan09
03-19-2010, 10:38 PM
If i do fence off the eggs, when they become free swimming would the parents accept them?

Eddie
03-19-2010, 10:42 PM
If i do fence off the eggs, when they become free swimming would the parents accept them?

This is the million dollar question. Sometimes they will and sometimes they won't. Guess it will depend on the parent fish and if they are ready to be parents. :o

Eddie

Chad Hughes
03-19-2010, 11:56 PM
I would remove the male if he seemsto be the more agressive fish.

mmorris
03-20-2010, 10:29 PM
LOL I would remove the female. I have heard that the male tends to the fry better but I don't know if that's true. I've also heard that the female tends to be the one to eat the eggs. One parent is all you need.

vartan09
03-21-2010, 04:45 PM
lol thanks guys, its a gamble.