PDA

View Full Version : tap water question

neon
03-21-2010, 11:32 PM
I have a 55gal with 6 discus and two rams and one pleco. I have been using RO water for my water changes. I tested my tap water today and the ph was only thing high which is 9.0. My tank's ph is 6.2 can I use ph down to get the tap water ph down to the tank's ph is this ok? Any help would be great.:confused:

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

we just noticed the fish not swimming right and was not acting right eat just fine yesterday we had one that was not eating but started eating just fine.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

excess slime is all that we noticed

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Melafix and pirafix

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

tank size 55 gal 5 discus and 2 ram and 1 busy nose plec

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
every 2 weeks 15 gals
sand bottom
3mounths
no ro water

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp ___86__

- ph ___6.2__

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __under 20__

- well water ____

- municipal water ____
Ro water
7. Any new fish/plants added recently
no

Eddie
03-22-2010, 12:02 AM
I have a 55gal with 6 discus and two rams and one pleco. I have been using RO water for my water changes. I tested my tap water today and the ph was only thing high which is 9.0. My tank's ph is 6.2 can I use ph down to get the tap water ph down to the tank's ph is this ok? Any help would be great.:confused:

If you are using RO, why not continue to use RO? Are you buying RO water or.....Reducing PH is best done without the use of products such as PH down.

Eddie

neon
03-22-2010, 12:31 AM
I am buying RO water it is getting to be costly .

Chad Hughes
03-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Never use chemicals to lower Ph unless you are breeding. That being said, slowly add your tap water to your tanks through water changes. Your fish will adapt.

Best wishes!

neon
03-22-2010, 12:59 AM
We don't want to shock the fish because out ph is in the 6.2 range in the tank and the tap water readings are as follows.
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
hardness 150
alkalinity 180
and ph is 7.8

What do I need to do to use the tap water?

mjs020294
03-22-2010, 01:05 AM
We don't want to shock the fish because out ph is in the 6.2 range in the tank and the tap water readings are as follows.
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
hardness 150
alkalinity 180
and ph is 7.8

What do I need to do to use the tap water?

Just do a small WC each day until the tank is synced with the tap. Fish do not mind PH rises, its when it drops you have problems.

BTW - adding Moss to the filter and aging water will keep your PH around 7.5, it works for me.

Chad Hughes
03-22-2010, 01:06 AM
Add tap water when doing water changes by 25%. Your discus will acclomate to that and will be better off due to stability on TDS.

Best wishes!

neon
03-22-2010, 01:15 AM
Just do a small WC each day until the tank is synced with the tap. Fish do not mind PH rises, its when it drops you have problems.

BTW - adding Moss to the filter and aging water will keep your PH around 7.5, it works for me.

Ok how many gallons should I do each day?
What type of moss do I add?