PDA

View Full Version : Pair moved to own tank... how long?

valery
03-23-2010, 11:31 AM
I have a pair of pigeon bloods that paired off and laid eggs in my 60G community tank. They eggs got to wrigglers, but were gone by the next morning. After the eggs were gone.. 2 days later, the pair started shaking again. They were immediately moved to their own 20G aquarium.

Well, it's now been 5 days, they are scared to death, do not come greet me for food, only come out when i move away from the aquarium. I've even raised the temperature to 85, and added half RO water, to make the conditions for breeding better.

How long do I have to wait for them to stop being scared??? let alone spawn again. Would you move them back to the community tank for more practice? Or would you give them more time in the 20G? (it's only been 5 days)

Thank you,
Valery

Chad Hughes
03-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Valery,

Did you just post this? Looks familiar! :)

valery
03-23-2010, 11:41 AM
yes i just posted it, twice... the other one is in general. (mixed them up.. dont know how to del. the other) lol

mmorris
03-23-2010, 05:43 PM
I have a pair of pigeon bloods that paired off and laid eggs in my 60G community tank. They eggs got to wrigglers, but were gone by the next morning. After the eggs were gone.. 2 days later, the pair started shaking again. They were immediately moved to their own 20G aquarium.

Well, it's now been 5 days, they are scared to death, do not come greet me for food, only come out when i move away from the aquarium. I've even raised the temperature to 85, and added half RO water, to make the conditions for breeding better.

How long do I have to wait for them to stop being scared??? let alone spawn again. Would you move them back to the community tank for more practice? Or would you give them more time in the 20G? (it's only been 5 days)

Thank you,
Valery

Do you have anything in the 20 besides a heater and filter? Did you add a cycled filter? How far off the floor are they? You could leave the lights off, if you keep them on.

valery
03-23-2010, 07:33 PM
There is some sand on the bottom.. i added some plants a day after the move so that they had a place to hide (Helped a LOT, they would dart before, now they just move to the planted area when scared - less damage to the fish). There is also a small ceramic pot in there.

The tank is about 30" off the ground.
The filter and the tank are cycled. I change the water often, and they were added with 60% water from the community tank, to avoid a big change in water parameters. They eat very well once i am away from the tank, and seem completely normal.