PDA

View Full Version : My food plan for Juvies

JaredP
03-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Please help me correct this if needed. The idea is to provide them lots of small meals. Someone had mentioned they thought the pellets at night may be a bad idea.

They get blood worms or black worms(mixing freeze dried, frozen and live) first thing when I wake up.(7-8am) Then a 25% water change. While I am gone, 2 different auto feeders will drop flakes, and pellets every 2 hours (alternating between flake and pellet). When i first get in from work, they'll get the beef heart mix. 2 hours after their beef heart mix, they get a 40% water change. About 1030 or so, they get some more freeze dried worms that are in a cube. Right before I go to bed(12am-1am), they get a 10% water change (just enough to clean the food out). Over night, the feeders drop pellets once.

hedut
03-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Wow do wc a lot. You plan look like on track but you just need put less amount food that you usually feed them so all food will be eattean. I never heard that give pellet at night will be bad:D:D:D or may be some one more expert about discus will be tell you more. I never feed my discus with life or dried food:D:D:D and I feed my fish with BH, FBW, pellet and mix flake:D:D:D

ILuvTropicalFish
03-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I just got some juvies too and am figuring out the best way to feed. I think what you are shooting for is plenty of food and a variety with as little leftover to foul the water as possible. I think you can feed before you go to bed as long as you remove the uneaten food. I believe they will sleep at night too so would not need a feeding then because the food would just sit and foul the water. They will be hungriest in the morning which makes it a good time to try new foods and less favorite foods. Also, you definitely want to do a water change after feeding beefheart because it will foul your water.

I feed mine first thing in the morning and I put live black worms in before I leave. Because they are live, they can sit there until my juvies decide to eat. The auto feeder during the day is great as long as you know they are eating what drops fairly quickly and it is not fouling up the water.

HTH
Peggy

Eddie
03-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Please help me correct this if needed. The idea is to provide them lots of small meals. Someone had mentioned they thought the pellets at night may be a bad idea.

They get blood worms or black worms(mixing freeze dried, frozen and live) first thing when I wake up.(7-8am) Then a 25% water change. While I am gone, 2 different auto feeders will drop flakes, and pellets every 2 hours (alternating between flake and pellet). When i first get in from work, they'll get the beef heart mix. 2 hours after their beef heart mix, they get a 40% water change. About 1030 or so, they get some more freeze dried worms that are in a cube. Right before I go to bed(12am-1am), they get a 10% water change (just enough to clean the food out). Over night, the feeders drop pellets once.

Alot depends on the tank size, amount of fish, age of fish, filtration, etc. I'd skip the pellet drop at night (that sounds funny typing it). IMO, doing a single large water change would be better than the 40 then 10 % later routine. You'll get many suggestions on how to feed your fish, some feed 3 times a day and some feed 12 times a day....In the end, the results catch up with themselves. The fish are going to grow just fine either way. The quality of food and quality of water are what matter most. ;)

Eddie

Chad Hughes
03-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Alot depends on the tank size, amount of fish, age of fish, filtration, etc. I'd skip the pellet drop at night (that sounds funny typing it). IMO, doing a single large water change would be better than the 40 then 10 % later routine. You'll get many suggestions on how to feed your fish, some feed 3 times a day and some feed 12 times a day....In the end, the results catch up with themselves. The fish are going to grow just fine either way. The quality of food and quality of water are what matter most. ;)

Eddie

+1

Well said Eddie!

JaredP
03-23-2010, 07:42 PM
That would have helped huh? They are in a 35 breeder, there are 7 of them between 2-3".

At this point they are still settling in, and Ive only seen them touch the FDBW once, but I know they do eat those. They won't touch the beef heart, or pellets just yet. But they also have only been in their tank for 48 hours, so I suspect that will change.