PDA

View Full Version : Help! New Discus Won't Eat!

CammieTime
03-23-2010, 10:21 PM
I just got some nice fish from one of the sponsors. I have bought fish from this sponsor before and they ate the second I had them in my QT tank. But not this time. I have 6 4" fish that refuse to eat! I tried feeding them the lean hamburger seafood mix I feed all my other fish and these new guys just ignore it.

I've tried:

Water Changes - did nothing
Feeding Bloodworms - did nothing
Cranked the heat up to 89 degrees - did nothing

Should I try putting garlic powder in the meat mix? Somebody said discus like garlic.

Other than not eating they swim around just fine and look/act normal. I've had them 5 days.

Please help!

hedut
03-23-2010, 10:28 PM
How long you have them? so they won't eat FBW either?

diamond_discus
03-23-2010, 10:54 PM
I just got some nice fish from one of the sponsors. I have bought fish from this sponsor before and they ate the second I had them in my QT tank. But not this time. I have 6 4" fish that refuse to eat! I tried feeding them the lean hamburger seafood mix I feed all my other fish and these new guys just ignore it.

I've tried:

Water Changes - did nothing
Feeding Bloodworms - did nothing
Cranked the heat up to 89 degrees - did nothing

Should I try putting garlic powder in the meat mix? Somebody said discus like garlic.

Other than not eating they swim around just fine and look/act normal. I've had them 5 days.

Please help!

Did you ask the sponsor what type of food was used for these fishes ? Try using the same food first. If they won't take Frozen Blood Worm, they probably won't eat other food, especially your meat mix. How many days did you have your new fishes ? You should call the sponsor. He/she should know their fishes best. Discus should go fine for a week without food. It probably just take them a little longer to adjust to their new home. I wouldn't worry too much if they don't look sick. Perhaps you can try to keep the light off for now.

Keith Perkins
03-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Wow, you've tried almost everything I would have and more. I'm guessing you know what the sponsor fed them and it's among the things you've already tried. I'm sure someone will have a better idea than I, but you seem a bit desperate so I'll suggest the one thing I do that I see you haven't. I have no scientific reason for doing it, but I've had good luck with it with new fish so I continue to do it. You might try adding an airstone or two and pumping up the oxygen level. Like I said, no science behind it, just has seemed to work for me.

tcyiu
03-24-2010, 12:46 AM
Like I said, no science behind it, just has seemed to work for me.

I think this sounds right. If the fish are not getting as much oxygen (but not so little to the point of gasping at the surface), it might reduce their metabolism. Hencing stirring up the surface by aeration could induce better appetite.

As for CammieTime, I'm at a loss. If you've tried feeding what the sponsor fed the fish, then time may be only thing left. Cover the tank with a blanket to minimize stress, and let them get used to the water and the surroundings.

You might also add a small amount of tables salt (NOT Epsom salt) to help with stress.

Tim

lkc
03-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Yup, always add some air if you've got your heat up that far.

CammieTime
03-25-2010, 12:55 PM
OK, it's been a week and these are my options:

1) They will eat frozen blood worms. Do I start feeding them this every meal just to get them used to eating and try the seafood mix at a later date?

2) Keep trying the seafood mix in hopes that they they will be starved long enough that they will start eating it one day? They currently refuse to eat this mix, which is essentially starving them. I put it in the tank and they ignore it.

I don't want them to get sick. What should I do, option 1 or 2?

Many Thanks.

LGelb
03-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Keep trying the seafood mix, it will be even harder to get them to eat it if you just feed them FBW every feeding.

Chad Hughes
03-25-2010, 01:44 PM
If the fish have been off food for a while, feed them what they WILL eat for the time being. Once their appetites have come back 100% and they are frantic when feeding on, in your case, FBW, then I would begin to transition them to a mix. Until their appetites are 100% you're going to be fighting a losing battle.

Just my $.02!

chicklett1
03-25-2010, 02:06 PM
If it makes you feel better, don't worry too much about the fish starving while you are trying to get them settled in. One of ours went off his food completely for over 3 weeks, and ate poorly for about 6 weeks, and he's none the worse for the wear (well maybe a little skinnier, but he bounced back with some TLC). It sounds like yours are already on the upswing.

Good luck!

diamond_discus
03-25-2010, 04:57 PM
I would continue to feed them your mix in the morning,when they are most hungry .. Keeping trying the mix until they start eating. I would only feed them FBW as a snack at night. So they will get at least one meal a day if they don't other stuff .. It's just a battle between you and the fish .. Don't give in .. If they are healthy, they will eat the mix eventually. Don't feed FBW more than once a day if you want to train them to take other food

hedut
03-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Let them hungry for a week plus high temperature to 89f every morning just put very small amount your BH mix after week they will like it ;). that the way I do it:D:D:D

mmorris
03-25-2010, 05:28 PM
If you starve juvies you risk compromising them. They were already starved a few days just getting to your house. I'm with Chad. There's no hurry.

Keith Perkins
03-25-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm with Chad and Martha, there's no hurry getting new juvies to eat your seafood mix. Eating one thing after being moved is a LOT better than eating nothing and risking them getting weak and falling sick. When they start eating more aggressively again it'll be much easier to convince them to start eating your seafood mix.

Darrell Ward
03-26-2010, 02:24 AM
I'm with Chad and Martha, there's no hurry getting new juvies to eat your seafood mix. Eating one thing after being moved is a LOT better than eating nothing and risking them getting weak and falling sick. When they start eating more aggressively again it'll be much easier to convince them to start eating your seafood mix.

I also agree. They WILL fall ill if they are not eating. I wouldn't rush it. You have plenty of time to train them to eat what you want them to.

keno
03-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Agree with Chad, getting them to eat is the most important thing as juvies, you will have loads of time to train them, just keep their bellies full with whatever they're eating now.

If they go totally off food, chances are they will start to stunt. Cary always to ld me that getting new arrivals to eat is the most important thing at your stage.