PDA

View Full Version : Discus Maybe ?

upthecreek
03-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi All,

I have a 75 gallon tank and am setting it up in the next few weeks. Building the stand and canopy for it now.

Will be using 2 aquaclear A70(300gph) 300 watt marineland heater.

Substrate with be Leslies pool filter sand 20 grade.

I could get 6-7 Discus in the 4 inch size range as I have a very high quality source for them in Houston and as much as I like growing out my africans no way am I doing daily water changes.

I am also considering just setting up a Peacock tank or extending my mbuna collection.

I have been reading and talking to a few about Discus just getting some info on keeping them etc. A forum I was on recommended coming here for additional info so here I am.

Looking forward to gleaning some helpful info and advice.

Keith Perkins
03-24-2010, 06:57 PM
The easiest/safest way to start keeping discus is to go bare bottom rather than sand. Discus like clean water and sand and gravel tend to hold waste and add challenges you'd be better off avoiding if this is your first venture into discus. Sounds like a great tank size for discus. Good luck.

upthecreek
03-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback

planning on having a inch of sand and some driftwood.

Doing 2 50 percent water changes a week.

One of my reasons for wanting to start with 4-5 inch fish was to avoid the bare bottom tank and daily water changes.

If that won't cut it will setup a Peacock tank

Keith Perkins
03-24-2010, 08:52 PM
IMO the 2 WCs each week at 50% with a bb tank would be fine, not so sure with sand. Why are you so set on having sand? My discus really seem to like driftwood, so no problems there either. 6 or 7 discus to start with is also a great number.

ValorG
03-24-2010, 09:16 PM
If you just want to keep healthy discus and not worried too much about getting max growth, then I think what your planning is fine.

upthecreek
03-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback but going to say with my africans.

darkknight87
03-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Id say you would be fine with sand. I have sand and dont have any troubles as far as water quality goes.

gwrace
03-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi All,

I have a 75 gallon tank and am setting it up in the next few weeks. Building the stand and canopy for it now.

Will be using 2 aquaclear A70(300gph) 300 watt marineland heater.

Substrate with be Leslies pool filter sand 20 grade.

I could get 6-7 Discus in the 4 inch size range as I have a very high quality source for them in Houston and as much as I like growing out my africans no way am I doing daily water changes.

I am also considering just setting up a Peacock tank or extending my mbuna collection.

I have been reading and talking to a few about Discus just getting some info on keeping them etc. A forum I was on recommended coming here for additional info so here I am.

Looking forward to gleaning some helpful info and advice.

You may want to confirm that the Aquaclear 70 will fit over the rim on that 75 gallon tank. I ended up having to move up to the 110 to get it to fit over my 75 gallon tanks. I run a AQ 110 and Rena XP3 on each of the 75's.

KEWX
03-31-2010, 11:05 PM
I started out with a 55 planted tank and 6 discus from Hans. I decided to go with the 2 1/2" size, so I could watch them grow. I do a 50% water change once a week and the fish have done well. If you want to go with the 4" fish and have the money, go for it, but you don't have too. The important issue is to make sure you buy health strong stock. Hans' fish are great! Our Baltimore tap water with a dechlorinator is fine. Age the water if you can but it hasn't been necessary. GOOD LUCK!!!

acnuno25
04-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback

planning on having a inch of sand and some driftwood.

Doing 2 50 percent water changes a week.

One of my reasons for wanting to start with 4-5 inch fish was to avoid the bare bottom tank and daily water changes.

If that won't cut it will setup a Peacock tank

Despite what everyone may say, those 50 percent water changes should be done with caution. I had MAJOR fish loss after each one, so I've changed my regime to every 3 days 15% change, to vacuum up the bottom and freshen the water up. PRIME is your best friend! :) Not sure what your water parameters are...but one of the moderators here told me the key to successful discus keeping is to keep it simple and to keep the water consistent. It's worked...happy fish that don't spaz out, play, and eat well. Oh yeah, and don't die.

I have 1 inch play sand from Home Depot, driftwood and live plants. Doing very well (cross your fingers)

Angela