PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Japanese discus short vid

prolude006
03-24-2010, 11:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OJ4P1u3Itc

so what kind of discus would you say it is? snakeskin, bd cobalt cross lol.

Eddie
03-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Blue Scorpion

rickztahone
03-24-2010, 11:25 PM
well it's a SS for sure, but Eddie are you sure it's a BS? you probably understand the text but it does kind of look like a cobalt to me. anyway, it looks ok besides the eyes.

Jhhnn
03-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Blue Scorpion

I'd agree. Any discus with the fineline markings like on that fish's face is, by definition, a snakeskin of some sort, and blue scorps are one variety- derived from SSxBD...

Eddie
03-24-2010, 11:37 PM
I'd agree. Any discus with the fineline markings like on that fish's face is, by definition, a snakeskin of some sort, and blue scorps are one variety- derived from SSxBD...

Ditto

Ricardo, a cobalt by definition is a 9 bar fish, no snakeskin pattern. I don't understand the text but the fish is 14 bar and has fine lines, as snake varieties and solid blue would bring me to Blue Scorpion.

Eddie

rickztahone
03-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Ditto

Ricardo, a cobalt by definition is a 9 bar fish, no snakeskin pattern. I don't understand the text but the fish is 14 bar and has fine lines, as snake varieties and solid blue would bring me to Blue Scorpion.

Eddie

thanks for the clarification. i have always had trouble with the SS varieties. i remember when i had just bought my first order from Kenny i got my BS, Casper (a fellow member) came over to my house and told me it was SS based and i had no idea back then, lol. everything i have ever learned about discus has come via SD. thanks for the clarification.

Eddie
03-24-2010, 11:43 PM
thanks for the clarification. i have always had trouble with the SS varieties. i remember when i had just bought my first order from Kenny i got my BS, Casper (a fellow member) came over to my house and told me it was SS based and i had no idea back then, lol. everything i have ever learned about discus has come via SD. thanks for the clarification.

To be honest, the text might say Solid Blue Snake or maybe even another dressed up name, like Blue Scorpion IHMO. :o

Take care bro,

Eddie

prolude006
03-25-2010, 07:06 AM
I am assuming the bars dont entirely determine a fish variety? You said cobalt is a 9 bar fish, but my cobalt from Hans always clearly had three bars plus the eye bar and tail bar(dont know if you count those). Based on the face of that Japanese fish I would say yes a ss. I assume it has a red eye, just stressed from the show?

kaceyo
03-25-2010, 05:58 PM
I am assuming the bars dont entirely determine a fish variety? You said cobalt is a 9 bar fish, but my cobalt from Hans always clearly had three bars plus the eye bar and tail bar(dont know if you count those). Based on the face of that Japanese fish I would say yes a ss. I assume it has a red eye, just stressed from the show?

Just to confuse you a little more, Fish in the 9 bar catagory can have anywhere from 5 to 12 bars. Fish in the 14 bar catagory (SnakeSkins) can have from 14 to over 20 bars. AND, there are 9 bars with the SnakeSkin Pattern, though they are unusual.:confused:

moik
03-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Blue cobalt snakeskin is my guess..

prolude006
03-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Just to confuse you a little more, Fish in the 9 bar catagory can have anywhere from 5 to 12 bars. Fish in the 14 bar catagory (SnakeSkins) can have from 14 to over 20 bars. AND, there are 9 bars with the SnakeSkin Pattern, though they are unusual.:confused:

wow seriously! so do bars have any effect on judging them. I assume some must show during judging, what happens in that case?

vss
03-25-2010, 07:10 PM
solid blue snakeskin...blue scorpion...cocalt snakeskin...whatever they call, we know it's just this type of fish. :)

-Xiaofei

Eddie
03-25-2010, 07:20 PM

Ditto what Kacey mentioned.......also, lets just go with closely spaced bars, rather than 14. :D

srusso
03-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Wow! its very nice!

Jhhnn
03-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Interesting reading about the development of discus strains, particularly snakeskins-

http://www.brooklynaquariumsociety.org/articles/2002-sept-pg%2029.htm

Snakeskins don't breed true- some offspring are always 9 bar fish, showing the markings of their ancestral turqs. I haven't confirmed this, but the Altum turqs/snakeskins currently offered by Central Ohio Discus are likely an example of the mixed results from a given spawn- same wrt the blue and green snakeskin/turq offerings...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=77835