PDA

View Full Version : Discus and other kind of hiding

JL15219
03-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Okay every since I removed all my plants and stuff to make my 60 gal a BB....I have noticed that the fish hide...well they can really hide but stay very close to the bottom....they used to do this when I had the plants but not as much.....the only time I really see the discus and others swimming around is when the lights are off....I have a 108 watts from a HO t-5 I have already removed one of the bulbs just leaving one see if it helps( just did this a few mins ago) but just wanted to see if anyone else had some suggestions....

gwrace
03-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Okay every since I removed all my plants and stuff to make my 60 gal a BB....I have noticed that the fish hide...well they can really hide but stay very close to the bottom....they used to do this when I had the plants but not as much.....the only time I really see the discus and others swimming around is when the lights are off....I have a 108 watts from a HO t-5 I have already removed one of the bulbs just leaving one see if it helps( just did this a few mins ago) but just wanted to see if anyone else had some suggestions....

That is one of the reasons I did away with my BB tanks accept in my QT tank. The fish were just very skittish and timid. I have since placed about an inch of gravel and some plants in the community tanks and they are much more well adjusted and aggressive eaters.

In the wild they would not have a bare bottom or be without some places to hide. An inch of gravel does not make it that much more difficult to syphon off the debris with a Python than when it was a BB tank. Substrate also provides some other benefits. You see fish getting sick in any of these tank configurations so I go with what works for me and hope for the best. Consistent tank maintenance is the key.

Chad Hughes
03-25-2010, 04:59 PM
I can relate to your experienece. The same thing happened to me with my contest fish recently. I moved them from a well planted, sand substrate tank to a light blue painted BB tank. They hated it for about two weeks. They have adjusted well though. Anytime you change the environment of a discus drastically, it may take some time for them to get used to the new surroundings and feel comfortable.

Are the sides or at least the bottom of your BB tank covered? If the discus can see their reflection in the bottom of the tank, they're going to be very paranoid and stressed. Most people paint or cover the glass to prevent this. If you do not want to paint the bottom of the tank, cover it with something that has direct contact with the bottom glass. If whatever you are covering the bottom with does not physically touch the glass, it will create the same mirror effect that you are trying to correct. Simply placing the tank on a dark surface is not sufficient.

Hope that helps!

valery
03-25-2010, 04:59 PM
My fish are the same and I'm a firm believer in a planted discus tank. The fish feel more secure and do not hide at all. I've tried almost BB in a different tank, the fish were darting, damaging themselves. Ever since I added plants, they love it =)

Many discus keepers would probably disagree, but planted is what I find is the least stressful and the most natural environment for the discus. =)

mmorris
03-25-2010, 05:24 PM
How many discus do you have? How long ago did you convert the tank to a bb? Is the outside bottom of the tank painted? I see no reason why discus should be less timid in a planted tank; many people, myself included, report quite the opposite. Most domestic discus on the market have never known anything but bb. If discus have something to hide behind, they will, and a bb tank tends to force them to adjust quicker.

srusso
03-25-2010, 07:32 PM
I hope you guys are right, or at least I hope I have the same expirience... sitting in front of my tank right now and I would reeeeaally miss the way it looks if I have to go BB... do you guys vac the sand every day?

JL15219
03-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Well the tank is not painted yet....it has been BB since last Sat March 20....I am planning on painting the bottom, back, and maybe the sides this weekend....I only have two discus in there since one died last week and have three in QT.....but it is not only the discus that stay at the bottom....maybe after I paint it they will be more comfortable.....

Darrell Ward
03-26-2010, 02:13 AM
It's ridiculous for one to assume discus "prefer" a planted tank when the natural enviroment is flooded trees and roots. Discus don't care if the tank is planted or not, they just need a little cover to go into if they feel the need. If you take discus straight out of a planted tank that the fish had adjusted to, and suddenly stick it in a bare bottom tank with no cover, it's only natural the fish is going to be freaked out. I use driftwood in all my tanks to give the fish some cover, and make them feel more secure. It works.

Jhhnn
03-26-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm certainly no authority, having kept discus only in BB tanks, but it seems to me that it's change that freaks them out more than anything else. They're also more comfortable when the back and bottom of the tank appear solid to them.

Those of us who keep imported malaysian discus have fish that were conceived and reared in extremely spartan tanks, often with nothing more than an airstone... seemingly none the worse for wear. It's been that way for many generations. I've not kept wildcaught discus, so they may react differently- dunno...

jaykne
03-26-2010, 11:46 AM
I have nothing in my tanks just a background, and painted bottoms, now when I take a pair and put them in breeder tank it is all painted and accept the front, and its a lighter color so take a couple days to adjust. BB is the best way to go if you are growing out or breeding, they will get use to it. IMO a BB tank is natural for domesticated discus I have not found a breeder yet that has gravel and plants.

JL15219
03-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Okay I didnt want to start another thread since I am going to paint the tank sometime this weekend just wanted to know which color to go with: pink, white, light blue, light green.....which color would make the fish stand out the most(make them pop) any suggestions? (Discus I have Tefe, Cobalt, Blue pigeon, some yellow pigeon, and a marlboro discus)

darkknight87
03-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Id go with either Light blue or light green. My personal favorite is the light green, but from what ive seen it looks like most people go with the blue

Chad Hughes
03-30-2010, 04:05 PM
All 26 of my tanks are sky blue. :)

gwrace
03-31-2010, 07:59 PM
I have nothing in my tanks just a background, and painted bottoms, now when I take a pair and put them in breeder tank it is all painted and accept the front, and its a lighter color so take a couple days to adjust. BB is the best way to go if you are growing out or breeding, they will get use to it. IMO a BB tank is natural for domesticated discus I have not found a breeder yet that has gravel and plants.

IMHO BB tanks are a convenience for the owner/breeder and reseller. It lowers costs, makes maintenance easier and helps in treating for parasites and diseases. A BB tank is no where near close to the discus natural environment. I prefer to try and simulate those natural environments for the fish I keep. As hobbyists we do that with the water conditions why not everything else. The fish seem to be more at home, less stressed and disease free.

whitedevil
03-31-2010, 08:40 PM
My 6 went from a BB to a planted tank and act the exact same way, the blue diamonds are black diamonds now but only my gold discus come out and about, ive only seen 1 eat and poo since this past saturday, beefheart and bloodworms arent even enticing them, they arent clamped but do hide alot, I got 39wx2 t5Ho bulbs on the tank and have set the timer to 2 hours on 1 hour off during daylight hours, this has seemed to ease the stress a little bit.

I am just observing them from afar and not even going into the room they are kept in except to feed and do maintenance.

This is my first rodeo with discus but the angels and rams I bought the same day do not act like this infact they were eager to get off the drip and into the main tank.