PDA

View Full Version : Sick discus not sure what ailment or if I should medicate.

joeh
03-25-2010, 11:39 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Discus is dark (at times) particularly in back 2/3 of body, shows stress bars most of the time, clamps fins and twitches occassionally. Eats but not as much or as aggressively as a normal healthy fish.

Started a couple weeks ago (I think I may have stressed the fish by doing water changes without first aerating the water) At one point the fish was dark all the time, not eating and had HITT type pitting. Quarantined fish in 29 gallon. Started doing 1/4 water changes with heated 24 hour aerated water once per day with 1/4-1/2 tps pickling salt per 5 gallons added. HITT lesions stopped spreading and are almost completely healed and fish started eating but is still has symtoms listed above.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Turning dark at times, eats sparingly,the fish is thin, clamps fins at times, twitches at times.

Have not noticed any white or stringy feces or witnessed any glancing behavior.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

None, purchased some Metro thinking it might be Hex but have seen no white feces so did not treat.

Added to salt because it seemed to help in the past with HITT lesions on other cichlid species I have kept.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

29 gallon, Has been set up a long time, has the one discus in it only.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

1/4 water change every 1-2 days with heated aerated water and 1/4-1/2 tps non iodinized salt

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _84___

- ph __7.6___

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading __not taken__

- nitrate reading ___<5 ppm_

- well water ____

- municipal water _yes___DH 3

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

no

pcsb23
03-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Tough one to advise on really. You have done most things before going to meds.

I'd be tempted to do a PP treatment (one only) and then use a good general purpose wormer (levimasole, piperazine, flubendazole or fenbendazole in food). I'd also be tempted to stop using salt.

Before doing the PP treatment do a large water change and wipe down.

Eddie
03-26-2010, 09:56 PM
You have only one discus? Are there any tankmates in the tank?

tcmemphisbbq
03-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Tough one to advise on really. You have done most things before going to meds.

I'd be tempted to do a PP treatment (one only) and then use a good general purpose wormer (levimasole, piperazine, flubendazole or fenbendazole in food). I'd also be tempted to stop using salt.

Before doing the PP treatment do a large water change and wipe down.

This just for my own curiousity but why stop using the salt?
Thanks
Tom

pcsb23
03-30-2010, 11:36 AM
This just for my own curiousity but why stop using the salt?
Thanks
TomTom, ime/o salt is over used. Discus have to process salt just like any other chemical. Other than perhaps supporting a fish when it is being treated with an antibiotic that may dehydrate it and as a dip or NO2 poisoning no need. I know it sounds daft that fish can dehydrate but they can. Salt will affect the osmotic pressure difference between the fish and the water, discus are "designed" to work in water free of salt ;)

tcmemphisbbq
03-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks for answering Paul :-)
Tom

nc0gnet0
03-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Add to the fact that salt actually interferes with some medications, Prazi for instance and salt is a bad combination.

Eddie
03-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Add to the fact that salt actually interferes with some medications, Prazi for instance and salt is a bad combination.

API General Cure is Metro/Prazi/Salt (sodium chloride).

http://cms.marsfishcare.com/files/msds/generalcurepowder_2978.pdf

nc0gnet0
03-31-2010, 01:03 AM
Salt and prazi contradict each other. Salt helps build/thicken the slime coat on a fish, thus making it much harder for prazi to penetrate the slime coat and get to where the flukes are, its simple logic really.

API General Cure is Metro/Prazi/Salt (sodium chloride).

Yeah and they sell melafix too now don't they? ;)

Eddie
03-31-2010, 01:07 AM
Salt and prazi contradict each other. Salt helps build a slime coat on a fish, thus making it much harder for prazi to penetrate the slime coat and get to where the flukes are, its simple logic really.

Yeah and they sell melafix too now don't they? ;)

Great logic....:o

pinoysport
04-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Any follow up here?