PDA

View Full Version : R.O water.

James G
03-27-2010, 04:47 AM
Hi guys a quick question if i may, my first post on this forum :) After recently moving back to live with my mother for a good few months while im house searching , i asked if i could plumb in an R.O system. The answer was a resounding no. So my question is, is it ok to keep discus in normal treated tap water, (changed as often as possible ofc)? I have my tank all set up and cycled but dont wanna rush out and buy fish if there is a risk of them dying or not feeling comfortable in the tank. And also while i remember to ask, Does anyone know if there is an RO system that doesnt need plumbing in? i mean can i sort of fill a bucket and attach a system the filled bucket to filter it? Thanks for the help and advice!

Eddie
03-27-2010, 07:14 AM
I guess this would depend on your tap water. If I remember correctly, the water in England was like liquid steel! I'm not sure how the water is around other parts of the country but it was super steel where I lived, near Cambridge.

Eddie

Yiannisk
03-27-2010, 07:57 AM
Hi guys a quick question if i may, my first post on this forum :) After recently moving back to live with my mother for a good few months while im house searching , i asked if i could plumb in an R.O system. The answer was a resounding no. So my question is, is it ok to keep discus in normal treated tap water, (changed as often as possible ofc)? I have my tank all set up and cycled but dont wanna rush out and buy fish if there is a risk of them dying or not feeling comfortable in the tank. And also while i remember to ask, Does anyone know if there is an RO system that doesnt need plumbing in? i mean can i sort of fill a bucket and attach a system the filled bucket to filter it? Thanks for the help and advice!
It is possible to use your R/O with water from a bucket or storage tank if you use in front a Booster bump but it costs here in Greece about 65 euros for the pump

http://www.waterwaves.gr/images/product_images/pump%20312614299674b2fe4cfc55a1.jpg

Ed13
03-27-2010, 08:28 AM
As far as the RO, you can just use a faucet or garden hose adapter to run the unit and remove and hide it while not needed.;)

Keith Perkins
03-27-2010, 09:54 AM
There are quite a few RO units out there that don't require plumbing. I bought a Pure-Flo II RO Unit - TFC - 2 Canister - 24 gpd and a faucet Y adapter at the local hardware store and hooked mine up to the washing machine faucet in the basement. Ran the drain hose to where the washer drained and the good water hose to a 44 gallon rubbermaid trash can with lid. Drilled a hole at the top of the trash can to force the water line through, and added a drain hose just below that point to the side that I ran to a floor drain in case I forgot to shut it off (which has been used several times). No plumbing and no flooding danger at all. You do need to vent the drain line though for it to work.

nc0gnet0
03-27-2010, 10:08 AM
I own one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270523707615&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Works flawlessly, great customer service, hooks up to a garden hose. Recently ordered a second membrane to double production.

James G
03-27-2010, 11:36 AM
So many helpfull replys, thanks very much guys :) im gonna go search the net right now. I think the best idea will be as mentioned, attach to the washing machine plumbing or as mentioned Ed13 Re: R.O water.
"As far as the RO, you can just use a faucet or garden hose adapter to run the unit and remove and hide it while not needed." Im gonna do one of the two ideas deffinatley :) Thanks again for the help :)