PDA

View Full Version : Light Blue or Planted Background?

darkknight87
03-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Okay, so heres the deal
my 150 gallon show tank, non breeding tank was painted black on all sides. I have no way of accessing the back and sides, so I was going to place a blackground INSIDe the tank, using suction cups to keep it in place, to try and reduce peppering and darkening behavior that is due to the black background.
The background I purchased is solid medium blue on one side, and on the other side, it is the same color blue, with a variety of green plants, giving it an over all green appearance, which would belend in better with the decor, IMO.

My questions is, would the planted blackground help reduce the darkening since its mostly green and blue? Or because there is still some shadoing in the plants, should I go with the all blue like most others have, and sacrifice some of the tanks appeal?

darkknight87
03-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Ack, I know somebody has to have some experiance or an opinion on this..

Disgirl
03-27-2010, 07:27 PM
My BB discus tank has the background with all the plants and some driftwood. All the fish look really good, colors bright and the Pigeons have no peppering. Bottom of tank is painted tan like sand. I have always heard that it is the bottom color that is most important. How will you be attaching the plastic background to the inside of the tank?
Barb:)

darkknight87
03-27-2010, 07:38 PM
The next time I do a water change, I am going to empty the tank out as much as I can and slide it in. Ive already experimented on a smaller tank, and the background will actually cling to it fairly easily, and then I bought 6 small suction cups that Im going to use to hold down the tops so that at least it wont slide around.
my bottom is a mix of red substrate and sand..so its not really dark anyway..but I may try and get some more light sand to add on top and see if that too makes a differance.

Keith Perkins
03-27-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm trying to picture how suction cups are going to hold the background to the tank, there must be more you aren't saying. Aren't you going to have a hard time cleaning it. I'm picturing it wanting to move and come loose with scrubbing.

darkknight87
03-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Well, In theory, the suction cups will be half on the background and half on the glass, so that should Help to hold it inplace. Im also going to postion the driftwood against the back of the tank so that it will sort of pin it to it, letting the weight of the wood also help to hold it in place.
And Im not sure yet about scrubbing. Ive never had much trouble out of the back of the tank, so I am not sure how much I will need to worry about it..it is also very difficult to get access to it because of the height of the tank.

Keith Perkins
03-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Hmm, I wish you luck, but I have my doubts.

darkknight87
03-28-2010, 11:05 PM
well, your doubts were half right.
It doesnt stick to it cocmpletely, particuarly the edges, near the bottom like to come up alittle bit. However, the placement of certan plants and pieces of driftwood helped to secure it.
So even though it isnt completely set to the tank, it isnt going anywhere either..the suction bups do help keep it in place to some degree.

ockyra215
03-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Get some paint its easier!JMO :D

darkknight87
03-29-2010, 12:17 AM
Paint is easier, its just the way my set up is, its very very very difficult to get to the back of the tank..at all.

Double Up
03-29-2010, 12:35 AM
i have a black background on my 55g and expierence no ill-effects. It actually makes my tangerines look brighter! My rose red seems a bit dark though.

Keith Perkins
03-29-2010, 12:40 AM
well, your doubts were half right...

I'm way too fussy about stuff like that, so your half right might be almost completely right to me. :D Being fussy like that though is usually more of a curse than a blessing, so be happy you think I was only half right. :D:D:D I hope how you have it set up works for you.