PDA

View Full Version : Petricola Catfish and Discus

dean9922
03-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Just wondering if anyone has petricola catfish in there discus tank. I have 3 in my 100 gallon with my discus. I was watching the fish swimming around and one of the catfish went to a couple of the discus and kind of looked like it was cleaning??? the side of the discus, then went over to another discus and did the same thing and then just swam away. The discus fish did not seem to concerned about it as they just sat there and took it.....lol
I'm not sure if this is something to be concerned about and the discus seem just fine, they have been in the tank together for 6-8 months. If anyone has seen this before let me know. I just found it kind of interesting.
thanks

Eddie
03-29-2010, 11:43 PM
They were most likely eating the slimecoat off the sides of your discus. It may seem harmless but might start to stress the discus out if it happens too frequently.

Eddie

dean9922
03-30-2010, 10:04 AM
thanks Eddie...i was kind of worried about that...they will be removed today...lol
thanks for your response

Eddie
03-30-2010, 10:11 AM
thanks Eddie...i was kind of worried about that...they will be removed today...lol
thanks for your response

This is just what I'm assuming, not that I have had any experience with those types of cats. I did a bit of reading and it seems like they like to eat ALOT, so maybe they are scrounging around and getting a little discus slime snack. :o Cool little cat though.

Eddie

dean9922
03-30-2010, 11:11 AM
yes, they are a very active fish....entertaining to watch....thanks again

Moon
03-30-2010, 11:44 AM
I've kept and bred Petricolas but not with discus. Eddie is correct they were eating the slime coat. They are very active catfish and may not be suitable tankmates for discus.

dean9922
03-30-2010, 02:14 PM
thanks moon for responding, they are in there own 10 gallon tank now

Apistomaster
04-06-2010, 02:02 AM
These Catfish are not good tank mates for Discus for a variety of reasons. These catfish prefer hard alkaline water and then the slime eating behavior will eventually over stress the Discus.
You made the right decision to remove them. On their own or in combination with African Rift lake Cichlids they are in their proper element.

In general, I recommend avoiding mixing fish from other continents and different ranges of Discus as not a good idea. I realize there are many exceptions to this guide line but it isn't bad advice in general.

dean9922
04-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks Apistomaster .....appreciate the help & advise!!!!