PDA

View Full Version : wild caught and tank raised

neon
03-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Is it ok to put wild caught and tank raised in the same tank? I have a 55 gal tank with four discus and 2 ram and would like to get two heckels for my tank.

Eddie
03-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Is it ok to put wild caught and tank raised in the same tank? I have a 55 gal tank with four discus and 2 ram and would like to get two heckels for my tank.

I've done it in the past and will never do it again. Nothing bad happened but I could tell that Heckels needed to be in their own school, all heckels. They are the kings and should remain amongst kings IMO. They have a totally different way about them that domestics will never have.

Eddie

Scribbles
03-30-2010, 02:43 AM
I wouldn't mix wild and domestic simply because I don't mix sources. I would also keep wild caught Heckels in a lower PH than I would domestic discus. Just my 2 cents.

Chris

Darrell Ward
04-01-2010, 08:56 PM
I keep my Heckels in their own tank. They are a little different than other discus, I don't think they should be mixed. Other types of wild discus are a better choice for mixing. I have some adult wild greens that do fine in my 240 gal. with adult domestics, but only after they had been in my care for many months.