PDA

View Full Version : Chinese teas help..

brewmaster15
03-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Okay all...

Heres the deal...I love my coffee foremost...strong and rich in flavor ( like I like my ales, red wines, and cigars;)) but I also enjoy teas...but I lean strongly towards Asian teas..

I have several teas that are very strong that I enjoy but I am puzzled by one kind that is mild....I can drink it all day and really enjoy it, especially with meals.... Its mild...but I have no clue what to buy to obtain it..best I can describe it as is the teas that Chinese restaurants serve , at least here in the North East USA. Doesn't matter where I have it..it always tastes very similar....so I guess its a similar variety?

What tea is this? Anyone know?

Thanks a million,
al

DiscusOnly
03-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Al

If you are referring to the lighter color tea that are usually serves at Chinese restaurant (espcially dim sum), it's call Pu-erh Chrysanthemum

diamond_discus
03-31-2010, 01:21 AM
Al :
Quite honestly, most chinese restaurant do not serve top quality chinese tea. The most common type is called Wu Long Tea (something like http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Foojoy-Wuyi-Oolong-Weight/dp/B000KYSVRK)
Even this type of Wu Long tea has many different grade level.

There are two other popular kinds being serve at Chinese dim sum restaurant :
One darker kind is called 普洱茶 : Chinese Puerh Tea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pu-erh_tea

Another popular light color tea is called 香片茶 (Silver Jasmine) . This is the type I order most often. It's more like a green tea. Most Jasmine tea is kinda mild. Perhaps it's the type you are looking for.

If you are into Chinese tea, I suggest you visit a tea store in any Chinatown, like this one :
http://www.tenrenstea.com/templates/home.html

BTW, my latest favorite tea is AMERICAN GINSENG ROOT TEA WITH HONEY :
http://www.popus.com/american.html

Hope this help.

-Larry

brewmaster15
03-31-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks Guys,I'll look into those teas.:)

I did have a really good Asian tea that a friend gave a while ago.. it was a strong flavored tea, but unfortunately I made the mistake of leaving the bag out on the table, and my Cats decided that it reminded them of cat Nip...That bag was shredded to pieces and scattered everywhere...I walked in and these furballs were rolling around like pigs in mud.:)

Since we are on the subject, anyone else have any suggestions for Asian Teas that they like? I'm looking for loose teas..not the pre-bagged teabags.

Thanks,
al

Disgirl
03-31-2010, 08:16 AM
Al, this reminds me of something funny that happened to us years ago. We were having a week in Hong Kong, while stationed in the Philippines, and went into a very authentic Chinese restaurant, the kind that the tourists wouldn't normally go to. We ordered tea with our meal and what do you think they served us? A pot of tea with Lipton tea bags in it!
Barb :D

ashaysathe
03-31-2010, 09:01 AM
You have it next time I come over.

brewmaster15
03-31-2010, 09:06 AM
Ashay,
I enjoyed that Indian Tea that we had at your place too...what was that?:)

-al

ashaysathe
03-31-2010, 09:11 AM
That particular on was "Brooke Bond Red Label" classic Indian style.

http://www.amazon.com/Brooke-Bond-Label-Loose-450g/dp/B000JSSNUC

we alternate between this and Taj Mahal :

http://www.amazon.com/Brooke-Bond-Mahal-bags-200g/dp/B000NILLTS

I will get you some for sure. Saturday.

Alok
03-31-2010, 09:47 AM
Al, if you really like strong teas, another Indian variety is "Wagh Bakri" :) You can easily get this in any Indian store in US.

diamond_discus
03-31-2010, 10:21 AM
Since we are on the subject, anyone else have any suggestions for Asian Teas that they like? I'm looking for loose teas..not the pre-bagged teabags.

Thanks,
al

Al :
I don't used pre-bagged teabags either. I usually go to local chinese tea house and try out different type of teas before I buy a can. I only know the tea in Chinese but I found this website in English : http://www.teavana.com/The-Teas/Teas-by-Country/Chinese-Teas/

I would recommend the following two :
1. Monkey Picked Oolong Tea
2. Jasmine Dragon Phoenix Pearls Green

The pearls type tea is also fun. The dry tea leaves were rolled up into tiny balls. When you put them into hot water, the balls will unfold, releasing a tiny air bubble. ;)
-Larry

akumastew
03-31-2010, 10:55 AM

Is it really picked by Monkeys?

diamond_discus
03-31-2010, 11:05 AM
Is it really picked by Monkeys?

HaHa, good question ...

Monkey picked oolong tea (馬蹓搣) is also known as highest grade of "Ti Kuan Yin" (鐵觀音). Legend has it that monkeys were trained by monks to pick the tea leaves from wild Ti Kuan Yin tea trees unreachable by humans in the high mountains of Fujian Province.

Today, monkey-picked simply means the highest quality Tie Guan Yin tea available. Picked during the spring and fall from higher elevations than other Tie Guan Yin grades, the monkey-picked grade is entirely handmade by experienced tea masters with great care.

diamond_discus
03-31-2010, 11:14 AM
Here's a list of top ten Chinese tea :
http://chinese-tea.net/10-famous-tea.htm

I never try them all personally, but I have three of them at home :
龍井 (Dragon Well)
碧螺春 (Spring Snail)
茉莉花茶 (Jasmine)

All 3 are green tea type. I don't particular like the darker black tea, which seems to be a bit stronger and bitter. Just my personal preference.

gwrace
03-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Al, this reminds me of something funny that happened to us years ago. We were having a week in Hong Kong, while stationed in the Philippines, and went into a very authentic Chinese restaurant, the kind that the tourists wouldn't normally go to. We ordered tea with our meal and what do you think they served us? A pot of tea with Lipton tea bags in it!
Barb :D

Well I have another story...sorry off topic. I've been to the Philippines several times. My first trip we walked into a restaurant where I was looking for something close to a burger or hotdog. What I ended up receiving tasted like it had more soybean in it than ground beef. My first mistake was assuming that the red and yellow bottles contained ketchup and mustard. After spreading them over my imitation burger and hotdog I found out in a hurry just how spicey those little Philippine peppers can be. They were variations of hotsauce.
I spent the next few minutes in tears trying to cool down my mouth...:D

Wahter
03-31-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm not an expert on teas, but I've been a handful of tea shops in Yunnan Province and a few dim sum places in Hong Kong. Definitely get the loose leaf tea - not in the tea bag.

These are my favorites:

Jasmine tea 茉莉花茶
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasmine_tea
my parents like this one a lot; however one of my friends in Hong Kong said it wasn't strong enough for her tastes. On the other hand, my friends in Taipei like this tea too.

Pu-erh tea 普洱茶
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pu-er_tea
I have tried some of the real pu-er tea in Yunnan and they showed that you can reuse the same tea leaves several times and still have a very nice tasting tea (over a dozen times!). This teas is also sold fermented. My father thinks this tea is too strong. As a footnote - this is the tea Wayne Ng has for his guests at his fish farm. :)

Tie Guanyin or Ti Kuan Ying 鐵觀音
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tieguanyin
Name means "Iron Goddess of Mercy" This tea has a slightly stronger taste that of Jasmine, but I noticed another one of my Hong Kong friends didn't like this tea as much as Pu-erh.

I'm pretty sure I did take a photo of a package of 'monkey picked tea' - I have to see if I can find it.

Walter

Wahter
03-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Here's a teashop where they were selling the "monkey picked tea" (which is the photo of the packaged tea).

Walter

pcsb23
04-01-2010, 07:49 AM
I quite like my tea ;) I have some very nice teas at the moment, my favourite just now is a Darjeeling Badamtam 1st flush (2000), which is rather slpendid. Very delicate of flavour yet very full flavoured (sorry best I can do :o).

brewmaster15
04-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks Everyone,

You've given me quite a few suggestions both publically and privately on these teas...I've got a lot to try out;) now.

Walter, Those are great photos thanks for sharing them!

Thanks again all!

-al

seanyuki
04-04-2010, 07:24 PM
The Monkey Picked Oolong Tea is expensive.......just like eating Asian desert like Swallow Nest..but worth trying...

Al :
I don't used pre-bagged teabags either. I usually go to local chinese tea house and try out different type of teas before I buy a can. I only know the tea in Chinese but I found this website in English : http://www.teavana.com/The-Teas/Teas-by-Country/Chinese-Teas/

I would recommend the following two :

2. Jasmine Dragon Phoenix Pearls Green

The pearls type tea is also fun. The dry tea leaves were rolled up into tiny balls. When you put them into hot water, the balls will unfold, releasing a tiny air bubble. ;)
-Larry

:):)

brewmaster15
04-07-2010, 06:50 AM
Have to say you guys all helped me out with the info here....been interesting trying to get a better understanding of a complex subject like these teas.:)

Also have to say...Thank You Kenny for the wonderful samples of several teas you sent to me to try... much appreciated there my friend!:):):):)

best regards all,
al

brewmaster15
04-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Wow... what a great day today was...

Yesterday was my birthday... and Amazon dropped the ball on the gift my wife got me..... but UPS got it here today... Its a beautiful cast iron Japanese teapot and set of Cups for brewing tea in..... so that was great just with that.... then the doorbell rings and Fedex ground delivers me a box.. This one has Tea in it..."Monkey Picked" :shocked::) tea to try, compliments of Kenny! :) Unbelieavably Perfect timing... and as for the tea... Amazing..I really like it alot.....At this moment I'm enjoying my new tea brewed in my new teapot out of my new Tea cup....

Thanks again Kenny!

-al

Eddie
05-01-2010, 02:58 AM

Yesterday was my birthday... and Amazon dropped the ball on the gift my wife got me..... but UPS got it here today... Its a beautiful cast iron Japanese teapot and set of Cups for brewing tea in..... so that was great just with that.... then the doorbell rings and Fedex ground delivers me a box.. This one has Tea in it..."Monkey Picked" :shocked::) tea to try, compliments of Kenny! :) Unbelieavably Perfect timing... and as for the tea... Amazing..I really like it alot.....At this moment I'm enjoying my new tea brewed in my new teapot out of my new Tea cup....

Thanks again Kenny!

-al

Nice Al, sounds like it all came together! Love those cast iron Japanese tea pots, very nicely designed/made. Monkey picked tea does sound interesting. Will have to try some one day.

Take care,

Eddie

vera
05-01-2010, 03:00 AM
Thats a nice surprise !
did u decide which is yr favorite tea Al? im in to coffee 24/7 , but ones in a while like to sip on a cup of mild tea

Al

If you are referring to the lighter color tea that are usually serves at Chinese restaurant (espcially dim sum), it's call Pu-erh Chrysanthemum

this one is my fav at Chinese restaurant

brewmaster15
05-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Hi Vera,

I'm a die -hard coffee Drinker myself:)... I love my coffee... when I was in college I used to wear a button on my jacket that said "coffee is god":)

But, over the years I had the pleasure of making some friends in the area that introduced me to Asian teas...Which I was surprised I liked because I never could take to the English Teas...even with milk or sugar.

At this point I really am enjoying Jasmine teas...especially the one Kenny sent me the smell alone is just amazing...Its a mild tea flavor wise and I could drink it all day long. We have a Green house out here called Logees thats an old established one and it has a huge Jasmine that flowers in it in the winter time... Its such a heady feeling when you walk in there..and this tea reminds of it.

I also really like this monkey picked tea.....Its a very enjoyable one and I think it is fast becoming my favorite.

take care,
al

William Palumbo
05-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Hey Al...my sis got me hooked on the Jasmine teas. BIG coffee drinker here, but have been drinking a lot of teas lately. Also bought the cast iron tea pot and cups. We have a place by us called TEAVANA..is EVERYTHING you need for tea. Big selection of teas, pots, cups, ect. I actually like a Blueberry and Jasmine tea they have the best...Bill

vera
05-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Hi Vera,

I'm a die -hard coffee Drinker myself:)... I love my coffee... when I was in college I used to wear a button on my jacket that said "coffee is god":)

But, over the years I had the pleasure of making some friends in the area that introduced me to Asian teas...Which I was surprised I liked because I never could take to the English Teas...even with milk or sugar.

At this point I really am enjoying Jasmine teas...especially the one Kenny sent me the smell alone is just amazing...Its a mild tea flavor wise and I could drink it all day long. We have a Green house out here called Logees thats an old established one and it has a huge Jasmine that flowers in it in the winter time... Its such a heady feeling when you walk in there..and this tea reminds of it.

I also really like this monkey picked tea.....Its a very enjoyable one and I think it is fast becoming my favorite.

take care,
al

LOL Al -coffee forever :)
i shall try Jasmin tea -sounds like heaven , not sure , if i can put my hands on monkey picked tea tho ' , is it mild as well?

Tnx

brewmaster15
05-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Hi Vera,

is it mild as well?
I wouldn't say its strong as far as the teas I have tried, but compared to coffee..its mild.:) If I had to describe the Monkey picked teas in my own words...Its drier tasting...almost like the difference between a cabernet Red wine and a shiraz or malbec if you like wines..

I like the dry taste.

-al

mmorris
05-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Will you be changing your name to Teamaster15? :)

vera
05-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Hi Vera,

I wouldn't say its strong as far as the teas I have tried, but compared to coffee..its mild.:) If I had to describe the Monkey picked teas in my own words...Its drier tasting...almost like the difference between a cabernet Red wine and a shiraz or malbec if you like wines..

I like the dry taste.

-al

Thank u Al for info
i love smell of red wine , but drink white :) any suggestions , if i can by this tea from online store plz

diamond_discus
05-01-2010, 05:10 PM

Thanks again Kenny!

-al

Al, glad you like the Monkey Picked .. one of my favorite also .. Very nice of Kenny as well.

brewmaster15
05-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Will you be changing your name to Teamaster15? :)
Nope!!!!!... Tea is still considered "brewed";)

-al

Alok
05-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Hey Al, what's the significance of the number 15? :)

brewmaster15
05-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Alok,

That name brewmaster goes back aways for me... There was a time when I was broke as you could be and the only way I could afford the internet was using free dial-up services.. but they limited your hours or the free periods ended so I got around it by signing up for a different service with a different numerical name...By the time I hit brewmaster15 my financial situation improved and I got used to the name...

so thats the origin...nothing too interesting I am afraid!!!:)

-al

Alok
05-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Alok,

so thats the origin...nothing too interesting I am afraid!!!:)

-al

Hey Al, That IS interesting!!! :D

When one thinks back on their life, doesn't it sometimes makes one wonder how they did it and came to be what they are now? :) If someone asked me now to do what I did 16 years ago, I doubt I would even think about doing it!

brewmaster15
05-01-2010, 08:56 PM
When one thinks back on their life, doesn't it sometimes makes one wonder how they did it and came to be what they are now? :)

Lol....Alok, April is my birth month and its also this forum''s Birth month...8 years old now..:) I never in a million years would have thought this would be the way things went!:):)

Take care!

-al

Alok
05-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Congratulations Al on completing 8 years of Simply! :) Plan a grand gala celebration for its 10th b'day :D