PDA

View Full Version : Will there be lesser keeper on Albino?

Todaydiscus
03-31-2010, 01:17 AM
Compare albino discus with the traditional discus, the patent and color on the traditional discus still look much beautiful (This is my own thinking).

So my question is will there be a day there is less albino keeper compare to today?
We can see many of the keepers going for albino strain all around the world. But actual fact what make albino so attractive to us? The only thing I can see is they are less on black pigment. Other than this I do not see anything that albino have a point to VS the traditional discus.

How about you?

CrossboneVanguard
03-31-2010, 01:50 AM
A group of albino platinum discus on black background looks pretty majestic. I love red discus and albino forms tends to eliminate the peppering. I hope to get albino platinum when I can afford them lol.:bandana:

Jon

MGKelly
03-31-2010, 02:07 AM
I prefer discus without the vertical lines, That's why I like Albinos.

Todaydiscus
03-31-2010, 02:19 AM
I prefer discus without the vertical lines, That's why I like Albinos.

There are many traditional discus without stress bar (I think your vertical lines is refer to the black stress bar). Like :Blue Daimond....

Compare to a deep blue sea color blue diamond with a perfect red eye ring around the eye and a albino blue diamond (As we know many of albino blue diamond the color are not very visible and also the albino trademark of not perfect red eye, hard to find a perfect one I think).

I will go for blue diamond.

vera
03-31-2010, 02:24 AM
I love them ALL :D one day wish to have a group of Albinos in my tank
TC

MGKelly
03-31-2010, 03:10 AM
There are many traditional discus without stress bar (I think your vertical lines is refer to the black stress bar). Like :Blue Daimond....

Compare to a deep blue sea color blue diamond with a perfect red eye ring around the eye and a albino blue diamond (As we know many of albino blue diamond the color are not very visible and also the albino trademark of not perfect red eye, hard to find a perfect one I think).

I will go for blue diamond.

Yes stress bars, I'm not really crazy about them. don't even like the name "stress bars".

vss
03-31-2010, 03:10 AM
My opinion on albinos is quite positive.:) It's true that albinos might show weaker colorations, and many people regard albinism as deformity, but IMO that's just about personal taste. Albinos show some color combinations that we can never see on the non-albinos, also since they never turn dark or show peppers, they are just perfect for planted discus tanks. As we all know, it's extremely hard to keep nonalbino discus from turning dark in heavily planted tanks. I think albinos are gaining higher popularity in recent couple of years in the U.S. If you check the old threads in the sponsors' section, you will see this trend. Many people (including me) who swore never having any albino in their tanks eventually becomes albino fans. :D

Moreover, nowadays thanks to the work done by the breeders, the coloration and variaties of albinos are becoming better and better, and the robustness and shape have pretty much been improved to the same level of non-albinos. To me the only downside of albinos is their poor eyesight, and plus they are not good parents, but not too big a deal:)

-Xiaofei :)

diamond_discus
03-31-2010, 04:47 AM
I am slowly switching to all albinos ... I just don't like any peppering on my fishes .. I also don't like having too much black on the fin .. and yes, I hate those "stress bar" ..

Eddie
03-31-2010, 05:10 AM
I think a quality Albino is quite stunning but nothing will ever compare to the wild/classic forms IMO. Domestic wilds are my favorite discus of all time. ;) Its funny though, everything will go full circle. ;)

Eddie

Rod
03-31-2010, 06:01 AM
I really like the albinos, actually i like most discus varieties as long as they are quality specimens. But my favorites are the classic paintcan types with strong metalic colors and vibrant base colors like brilliants, cobalts , red spotted greens, and red turks. The stronger the color the better i think. :)

William Palumbo
03-31-2010, 08:03 AM
I myself HATE them. I never did like ANYTHING albino, from Killifish to Corys. I will be glad when this albino fad is over. But that's just me...Bill

Eddie
03-31-2010, 08:15 AM
I myself HATE them. I never did like ANYTHING albino, from Killifish to Corys. I will be glad when this albino fad is over. But that's just me...Bill

Come on Bill.....tell us how you really feel! :D

Take care my friend,

Eddie

brewmaster15
03-31-2010, 08:18 AM
I've only kept a few over the years...I've bred some as well from intermediate parents.. I like the golden albinos best as they seem to turn a decent Yellow with a normal diet....I do have some interest in a few albino lines...particularly the albino red covers. ...but thats really where my interest largely stops...Though I will breed them if I have them because so many like them.

My passion is wilds, wild crosses,red covers/san merahs, Red turqs,Blue turqs, cobalts,white pigeons,Blue snakes,red and gold mellons.....to name a few. I will never tire of these. I guess I am a little old fashioned , but I like the older strains best.. I don't think these will ever go out of style.

take care,
al

waters10
03-31-2010, 09:27 AM
I like some of the albino strains. What I don't like is how some of the older strains get dropped in favor of albino only strains!

I know that happened regardless, with some old classic strains getting dropped in the past. It is an evolution of the hobby itself. But I think this is a bit different, since it seems to me that any albino strain gets a lot of attention and high prices!

stanlee
03-31-2010, 11:01 AM
guess albinos are in vogue now cos they are not that easy to breed, and that is the challenge, compared to the normal discus.

heck, wilds are just as difficult to handle as well, and that's why they are really the "king" of all kings.:) imho.

Jhhnn
03-31-2010, 02:18 PM
"New and different" sells, whether that's fish or fashion. So breeders are exploring what they can do with albinos. In some ways, breeders seem to drive the market rather than vice-versa, but they'll breed to the money, in any event. Actual investment in youngsters that sell for $100 vs ones that sell for $25 isn't much if anything, so it's a kind of no-brainer...

I'm not terribly attracted to albinos other than some of the intermediates and throwbacks. I'm not taken by fashion in much of anything at this point.

I suspect that what we consider to be classic lineages of discus will remain popular- turqs, cobalts, blue diamonds, leopards, pigeons & snakeskins of various kinds, even classic browns. I can't think of any strains that have actually disappeared... people still breed ghosts and calicos, which I've always found to be kinda strange, anyway...

darkknight87
03-31-2010, 03:16 PM
Personally I like a little bit of everything., Each strain has something to offer to the discus lover. I love the look fo the wilds, the look of the turqs and cobalts, solid reds, and albinos.
Lol..maybe thats why I have them all in one tank..

kaceyo
03-31-2010, 04:11 PM
I didn't like albino's when they first came out. For me, It's the contrasts that discus have that are the most appealing. The metalic blue sheen on a living creature. The bright red pattern against a deep blue body. These, and the way they cary themselves, are what made discus so desirable.
To answer your question, I can picture a day when albino's no longer have the intrigue and mystery that they enjoy today, and will move to the background of discus popularity.
But for now, I love my ALSS's.:D

rickztahone
03-31-2010, 05:27 PM
I will not say I love or hate albinos because I have gone back and forth on both accounts. The only obstacle I forsee is the fact that they will not turn dark. While I see the appeal for this trait, believe me I do (I wanted an all albino planted tank), I do not see how i would identify some of the classic ilness symptoms if they lack the ability to turn dark. I'm always checking my domestics on a regular basis for this plus Gill function, etc. I do like the yellow hue to some abinos though and do not consider them as bland as some others of mother natures' mutations for an all white albinism hue

Discus-n00b
03-31-2010, 05:35 PM
I think Albinos can do nothing but get BETTER. Meaning more colors/patterns showing up. So I think they will stick around for a while, and continue to become popular. Especially as their shapes continue to get better.

I would never switch my entire collection to all albinos, but a few here and there are cool to have. I love the classics the best.

hedut
03-31-2010, 06:09 PM
I love Abino spotted snakeskin cause I always have problem with PE. for my self I like albino cause they don't easy get sick :) but that just me:p:p:p:p but I still love any kinda Turq and I only keep 9 bar non albino and one BD :p:p:p.

Note : honestly never like albino color:p:p:p

jball1125
03-31-2010, 06:33 PM
I love them all! I even like the look if stress bars that so many hate. Classics are my fav though... :)

nikond70s
04-01-2010, 02:30 AM
i prefer albino because im not a fan of the stress bars or any peppering or black at all in discus. and they look great in black background. i switch from regular discus to albinos just for those reasons.

lpiasente
04-01-2010, 03:29 AM
Personally I like a little bit of everything., Each strain has something to offer to the discus lover. I love the look fo the wilds, the look of the turqs and cobalts, solid reds, and albinos.
Lol..maybe thats why I have them all in one tank..

me too

ockyra215
04-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Well I would say as long as there are people coming up with varietys of discus they will always be popular.

underwaterforest
04-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Albinos are growing on me. I just recently got some new discus and pretty much ignored the albinos when I was previewing fish. When I ordered the seller convinced me to give an albino discus a try, so I tried them out. And I have to say I really like them now. The peach orange and metallic blue/green colors of my albino eruption leopards catch my eye every time I look at the tank. They really stand out next to my primarily blue discus.