PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Advisor Web Site

gwrace
03-31-2010, 04:55 PM
This is not perfect but I thought it was an interesting concept. It might help when planning out a new tank or making needed changes.

http://www.aqadvisor.com

I apologize if this is a repeat or in the wrong forum.

David

mjs020294
03-31-2010, 05:16 PM
I have played around with the calculator in the past. Their information and algorithms seem accurate.

90 Gallons of Fun
03-31-2010, 05:37 PM
It seems pretty harsh on clown loaches. Add four to a 90 gallon tank and you are at 100% capacity. Does not seem right.

Rich

mjs020294
03-31-2010, 05:45 PM
They are probably using the maximum adult size of 16 inches.

gwrace
04-01-2010, 08:00 AM
They are probably using the maximum adult size of 16 inches.

I believe this to be correct. I've played around with various species and there is no option or feature that will allow you to compensate for fish size. It assumes full size maximum growth.

mjs020294
04-01-2010, 09:15 AM
I believe this to be correct. I've played around with various species and there is no option or feature that will allow you to compensate for fish size. It assumes full size maximum growth.

There is an option just above the quantity that allows you to switch to juvenile size.

90 Gallons of Fun
04-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Ahhh. Good catch, did not see that.

Thanks,
Rich

yhbae
04-02-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm here to listen to any suggestions and potential issues on this app. If you have them, please let me know. :)

Oh and if you own any species that are missing from the app, please let me know those too - I will gladly add them to AqAdvisor DB.

Thanks!

mjs020294
04-03-2010, 12:04 AM
I think it is a pretty good calculator. I have used it quite a lot when playing around with stocking levels and compatibility.

gwrace
04-03-2010, 01:33 PM
There is an option just above the quantity that allows you to switch to juvenile size.

Thank you I did not see that when I was on the site.

gwrace
04-03-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm here to listen to any suggestions and potential issues on this app. If you have them, please let me know. :)

Oh and if you own any species that are missing from the app, please let me know those too - I will gladly add them to AqAdvisor DB.

Thanks!

Actually I think you've done a great job with this site. I've seen many tank volume calculators but none that allowed you to calculate bio load using different filters and fish types and sizes.

Nice job!!

mjs020294
04-03-2010, 05:24 PM
The site updates the filter list pretty quickly as new models come out as well.

Frankr409
04-04-2010, 10:24 AM

Thanks!

After adding a second species of fish to the list box on the right, the website re-directs to a spam site. Is that something that could be changed?

yhbae
04-04-2010, 10:26 AM
After adding a second species of fish to the list box on the right, the website re-directs to a spam site. Is that something that could be changed?

Yes, I am trying to figure out which ad network is doing this. Did you enter your species before specifying anything else such as your tank dimension, filters or changing units?

Thanks.

JoeDiscus
04-04-2010, 12:04 PM
I was just checking out this aquarium advisor link and clicking on the parameters according to my own tank setup...and SUDDENLY, the screen changed and I got directed elsewhere...then, my ANTI-VIRUS/ANTI-SPYWARE program (Norton) kicked in and advised about something funny about the site and BLOCKED whatever was going on with it!!

I just wanted to post to WARN EVERYONE that there is something funny going on with this linked site.

yhbae
04-04-2010, 12:13 PM
I was just checking out this aquarium advisor link and clicking on the parameters according to my own tank setup...and SUDDENLY, the screen changed and I got directed elsewhere...then, my ANTI-VIRUS/ANTI-SPYWARE program (Norton) kicked in and advised about something funny about the site and BLOCKED whatever was going on with it!!

I just wanted to post to WARN EVERYONE that there is something funny going on with this linked site.

My apology, it appears that the new ad network I added recently is sending these bad ads. When I get home, I will disable them and stick to the safe ones. Another reason to not trust small ad networks...

yhbae
04-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Ok, I removed all ads except the ones I know are safe. If anyone experiences otherwise, please let me know!

JoeDiscus
04-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Sorry, yhbae for the posted warning...but, glad to see that some action has resulted from it. Anyway, GOOD LUCK on the work that you doing... :)

yhbae
04-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Sorry, yhbae for the posted warning...but, glad to see that some action has resulted from it. Anyway, GOOD LUCK on the work that you doing... :)

Thanks and thanks for the warnings! :)

yhbae
05-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Hi guys,

I have updated the site with a new minor release. As usual, more species and more refinements to the attributes to the existing species.

I've also released a preliminary saltwater version, if you are interested!

Here's the link again: AqAdvisor site (http://www.aqadvisor.com)

yhbae
05-12-2010, 01:58 AM
If anyone experienced any re-directs or anti-virus warnings, please let me know. I hope it is ok after removing these ad networks.

Thanks.

scottishbloke
05-16-2010, 01:41 AM
I just tested out this site for both tanks I currently have in use (20g long community, 90g discus). It appears to be spot on for my 20g regarding frequency and % for W/Cs- a 50% change once per week, which is exactly what I do. My 90g discus also appears to be quite accurate as well. I noticed that it does not seem to have any sponge filters listed- this is significant, as many discus keepers use only sponges; my 20g has a Filter-Max III sponge prefilter on the canister intake, and another 2 of them on my Eheims in the 90g) so my total filtration capacity is likely a bit higher than the site indicates. Overall, I think the site is pretty cool, and very useful for many novice/younger fish keepers who don't really know what they're doing and want a school of 50 neon tetras in their "huge" 10 gallon tank...

I have not had any issues with virus warnings, nor was I redirected to spam sites, so the Advisor site appears to be working pretty well at present.

Colin

Fons_van_der_Hart
05-16-2010, 03:31 AM
I visit this site regulary looking around what's happening and to follow the development of this website. I think it's great and growing to be better by the month.
As a European I certainly liked the changes of temp, size and volume. This makes the site more usable in other parts of the world. Only one thing came up when calculating an overstocked tank : potentially reaching up to 14 inches. if the size is done in cm's, this final answer should be in cm's aswell...

yhbae
05-17-2010, 05:18 PM
I just tested out this site for both tanks I currently have in use (20g long community, 90g discus). It appears to be spot on for my 20g regarding frequency and % for W/Cs- a 50% change once per week, which is exactly what I do. My 90g discus also appears to be quite accurate as well. I noticed that it does not seem to have any sponge filters listed- this is significant, as many discus keepers use only sponges; my 20g has a Filter-Max III sponge prefilter on the canister intake, and another 2 of them on my Eheims in the 90g) so my total filtration capacity is likely a bit higher than the site indicates. Overall, I think the site is pretty cool, and very useful for many novice/younger fish keepers who don't really know what they're doing and want a school of 50 neon tetras in their "huge" 10 gallon tank...

I have not had any issues with virus warnings, nor was I redirected to spam sites, so the Advisor site appears to be working pretty well at present.

Colin

Excellent! :D

yhbae
05-17-2010, 05:18 PM
I visit this site regulary looking around what's happening and to follow the development of this website. I think it's great and growing to be better by the month.
As a European I certainly liked the changes of temp, size and volume. This makes the site more usable in other parts of the world. Only one thing came up when calculating an overstocked tank : potentially reaching up to 14 inches. if the size is done in cm's, this final answer should be in cm's aswell...

Oh that's actually a good idea. I'll add that in my wishlist.

Thanks! :D

yhbae
05-23-2010, 06:14 PM
I've just published a new version of AqAdvisor (http://www.aqadvisor.com)that includes Fons_van_der_Hart's suggestion.

Thanks! :)

yhbae
06-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Hi guys,

I did another minor release of AqAdvisor (http://www.aqadvisor.com). If you have any further comments or request, please let me know!

Are you guys all happy with what it reports as far as Discus is concerned?

Thanks!

yhbae
09-13-2010, 03:48 PM
What's new for 2010 09 13 build:

- Added Monster Wolf Fish (Hoplias aimara).
- Added Otto PF450G filter.
- Added Apistogramma macmasteri.
- Added some additional comments to Crayfish that they are good escape artists too.
- Added Jebo 828/829/835 filters.
- Added Sunburst Platy as an alias to Platy.
- Added Eheim 2226 filter.
- Upper temperarature range for Dwarf Petricola has been increased to 25C.
- pH range for Rasbora borapetensis has been updated to 5.5 - 7.5.
- Added Robertsons Cichlid (Amphilophus robertsoni).
- Added Turquoise Cichlid as an alias to Robertsons Cichlid.
- Added False Firemouth as an alias to Robertsons Cichlid.
- Added Blue Sifter as an alias to Robertsons Cichlid.
- Added Aqueon ProFlex series filters.
- Scientific name for Celestial Pearl Danio has been changed to Danio margaritatus.
- Added Blue Botia (Yasuhikotakia modesta).
- Added Twinbar Platy as an alias to Platy.
- Added Highfin Platy as an alias to Platy.
- Added White Cheeked Goby (Rhinogobius wui).
- Added Aristochromis christyi.
- Added Buccochromis rhoadesii.
- Added Buccochromis lepturus.
- Added Champsochromis caeruleus.
- Added Fossorochromis rostratus.
- Added Lichnochromis acuticeps.
- Added Geophagus altifrons.

- Total number of species in DB has been increased to 917.
- Total number of filters in DB has been increased to 333.

To access the application, please click on AqAdvisor site (http://www.aqadvisor.com).

If you have any freshwater species that are missing in AqAdvisor DB, please let me know!!! If you disagree with any of the results produced by AqAdvisor, please let me know that too.

dbfzurowski
11-24-2010, 05:22 AM
Your aquarium stocking level is 174%. lol

Second Hand Pat
11-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Fun site. With my current stocking level I'm at 105% without discus. Might need to rehome some dither fish in the future.

Jennie
12-30-2010, 08:38 AM
hmmm how accurate is this really??

dbfzurowski
01-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Well, it says my tank is overstocked....I think it is so I guess its accurate