PDA

View Full Version : Trickle Filters

dean9922
04-01-2010, 08:39 AM
I have the opportunity to buy a Trickle Filter system from someone I know. It is formerly out of a pet store that sold out a few years back. It comes complete with bio balls and everything. I will of course have to plumb in overflows etc...to get it operational.
My question is, does anyone use this type of filtration for multiple tanks and if so, what are the pro's and con's to a system like this. I know that disease could be a problem (if you get it in one tank you have it in all tanks) but wondering if the pro's out weigh the con's. Not sure if I should even persue this as a form of filter system. Or should I just stay with aquaclears, and sponge filters....
I know there will be a lot of work to get it working, but if it's worth it, I will certainly persue this.....let me know what you think and thank you

tcyiu
04-01-2010, 05:41 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a Trickle Filter system from someone I know. It is formerly out of a pet store that sold out a few years back. It comes complete with bio balls and everything. I will of course have to plumb in overflows etc...to get it operational.
My question is, does anyone use this type of filtration for multiple tanks and if so, what are the pro's and con's to a system like this. I know that disease could be a problem (if you get it in one tank you have it in all tanks) but wondering if the pro's out weigh the con's. Not sure if I should even persue this as a form of filter system. Or should I just stay with aquaclears, and sponge filters....
I know there will be a lot of work to get it working, but if it's worth it, I will certainly persue this.....let me know what you think and thank you

The first consideration is that when your area's power fails, will the sump be large enough to hold the overflow of the tanks that you're going to hook up.

The second consideration is how to evenly distribute the return water from the pump. On paper it looks easy. In reality, there will be a lot of fine tuning of the plumbing since the resistance of the various pipes will be slightly different resulting in possibly uneven distribution of water.

The third consideration is that the input to the trickle filter should be oversized to accomodate the overflow from all of your tanks.

Those are what I can think of just off the top of my head.

Hope that helps.

Tim

dean9922
04-01-2010, 08:24 PM
thanks tcyiu
that is why i'm unsure of persuing this option...maybe there is to many questions and not enough anwers....lol

it looks to be about a 60 gallon system.....i am not a plumber by no stretch and i really don't want to flood my basement and kill my fish.....the wife would killl me......just looking for some info on what it takes to hook this up and if it works well.....thanks again

Dkarc@Aol.com
04-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Get me some pics of the actual filter you want to use, along with the tank(s) you want to use it on. Need to know how high your tallest tank is (from floor to top of tank), how many tanks, how many feet the piping would have to run from the filter (farthest from the pump basically), along with desired turnover/flow rate. Let me know that and I can design a simple system.

-Ryan

dean9922
04-02-2010, 09:17 AM
thanks alot Ryan.....it will probably be about a week or so. Thanks for the help.

jeff@zina.com
04-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Trickle filters are very common in central filter systems. Some are easier to work with than others, but it's a valid filtration method. Personally I've never bought one -- they're too easy to DIY if you have even basic skills.

Jeff