PDA

View Full Version : dual canisters

3dees
04-02-2010, 11:48 AM
I am setting up a 120 gal. biotope with no plants except frogbit on top. It was to be for angels but I have decided on discus instead. I have a Ehiem 2128 thermo, but now that I'm going discus I thought I would need more filtration. Thanks to another thread on this site I bought a xp3 for 110.00.
my question is do I put the spray bars on each side? what will the current be like coming from different directions? I know a lot of you use 2 canisters so can you tell me how you run them?

theblondskeleton
04-02-2010, 01:09 PM
I built a single full-length spraybar with an inlet barb on both ends. I can hook up one canister to each barb, and I get even circulation across the whole tank, without blasting the fish into the front glass. The key is to drill an appropriate number of outlet holes in the spraybar to prevent too much pressure buildup. I currently have one XP3 hooked up, but I will have the second hooked up as soon as I get another.

Justice
04-02-2010, 01:13 PM
I run two 15" 1/2 PVC pipe spray bars with 6 holes each on my 120 gallon on each end facing each other.

I do not have an XP3 so can not help with what kind of current you can expect as I have two Fluval 405's on mine, Your XP3 though will put out way more current than my 405's will.

BTW, Nice score on the XP3 for $110 !

3dees
04-02-2010, 02:10 PM
I was going to get a smaller Ehiem for 240.00. I saw the link on a thread from march 1st and did'nt think it would work after a month seeing that F& s has them on sale for 158.00 but when I clicked on his link it will give you the XP3 for 110.00. Ordered it 2 days ago so it still works for anyone that wants this filter. Really don't like the look of a spray bar accross the back of the tank. I'm going rimless so it will be very noticable. I'll have a lot of filtration but I'm planning on 10 3-4" discus, about 25 lemon tetras, and 4 or 5 Bolivian Rams.
Love cardinals but I'm thinking 10 Blue diamonds so that would be too much blue. Lemons are much nicer looking than in a LFS tank.

waters10
04-02-2010, 02:48 PM
I was going to get a smaller Ehiem for 240.00. I saw the link on a thread from march 1st and did'nt think it would work after a month seeing that F& s has them on sale for 158.00 but when I clicked on his link it will give you the XP3 for 110.00. Ordered it 2 days ago so it still works for anyone that wants this filter. Really don't like the look of a spray bar accross the back of the tank. I'm going rimless so it will be very noticable. I'll have a lot of filtration but I'm planning on 10 3-4" discus, about 25 lemon tetras, and 4 or 5 Bolivian Rams.
Love cardinals but I'm thinking 10 Blue diamonds so that would be too much blue. Lemons are much nicer looking than in a LFS tank.
It's not a promotion. For some reason, every item at Drs that starts with CD and has 6 digits can be bought at a lower price by copying the SKU, pasting in the search button and replacing CD with CK. I don't know why or how it works, but it works ... Again, not limited to XP3!

rickztahone
04-02-2010, 05:40 PM
I am setting up a 120 gal. biotope with no plants except frogbit on top. It was to be for angels but I have decided on discus instead. I have a Ehiem 2128 thermo, but now that I'm going discus I thought I would need more filtration. Thanks to another thread on this site I bought a xp3 for 110.00.
my question is do I put the spray bars on each side? what will the current be like coming from different directions? I know a lot of you use 2 canisters so can you tell me how you run them?

hey check out my tank through this link: (pic one)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=77403

i have a 6ft 125 and i have 2 xp3's with 2 hydor inline heaters. i have the spray bars on the opposite ends facing at an angle downwards. i seem to have good circulation and the discus do not seem to mind the current.

3dees
04-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Nice NIce Nice. If I could raise some discus to be nearly as healthy as those fish look, I'll be more than happy. Good job.

nc0gnet0
04-03-2010, 09:57 AM
They should make a HOB low profile/slimline waterfall device that you could plumb your canisters too. Something like the tons of bio-wheels minus the intakes and biowheels etc. This could allow for a ton of filtration minus the current issues with the added plus of a easy to access chamber for times you want to use part time media (ie: AC, purigen, zeolite)