PDA

View Full Version : Painting Background Trouble

JL15219
04-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Okay I am in the process of painting my 60 gal tank a color called Jamaican Sea...I am using latex paint and a roller like many have said they have...but I am having some trouble some of the paint seems to be seeping between the glass and the black plastic that is on the top and bottom rim of the tank....is there any way I can take the black rim off to clean it? It looks really bad and sloppy in my opinion :mad::mad::mad:.....I think I should have went with spray paint...any help would be great thanks....

srusso
04-02-2010, 07:39 PM
If everything is still wet, I say whip it all off. Go the spray paint, as long as you use the can properly (6"-8" away from tank in long sweeping two second blasts left to right. Have the tank back side up, wait for it to dry and do the bottom.

JL15219
04-02-2010, 07:43 PM
If everything is still wet, I say whip it all off. Go the spray paint, as long as you use the can properly (6"-8" away from tank in long sweeping two second blasts left to right. Have the tank back side up, wait for it to dry and do the bottom.

Yeah it is almost all dry already.....I should have went with the spray paint I have always used spray paint but could not find the color I needed so decided to use the latex but it looks horrible....I am taking the tape of and it is also taking some of the paint off with it....and the paint between the glass and the black part is impossible to get to unless I take the black part off.....this sux....:mad:

whitedevil
04-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Best part is its latex, one small piece to grab onto and it will come off in big pieces.

I use the cheapest black automotive spray primer I can find, usually walmart @.98 cents a can, My new 210 is getting it and I got 4 other tanks ive done this way. Latex is to thick IMO to cover something as smooth as glass well, latex needs something to bite onto to hold, one small scratch and any moisture that can get into it will basically make it slide right off or trap the moisture and give you a big bubble.

the above is for the roller method, there is no control for seepage and flow off the roller like there is in a can or with a brush.

underwaterforest
04-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Sorry to hear that happened to you also JL15219. I painted my back with a roller and had the exact same thing happen to me. I found if I pry on the border I was able to get paint down to the seem but it was dangerous prying against the glass so I stopped. If you find a solution let me know also. The background paint job makes me cringe every time I see it, but I just try to ignore it now. I think I will try and put a heater in front of it so I don't notice it.:(

JL15219
04-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Sorry to hear that happened to you also JL15219. I painted my back with a roller and had the exact same thing happen to me. I found if I pry on the border I was able to get paint down to the seem but it was dangerous prying against the glass so I stopped. If you find a solution let me know also. The background paint job makes me cringe every time I see it, but I just try to ignore it now. I think I will try and put a heater in front of it so I don't notice it.:(

Yeah I am looking at it right now and my attention just seems to go to the parts where the paint seeped in between the glass and the black plastic :mad::mad: .....color looks nice but the paint job is terrible......worst thing about it is that it is in the living room so everyone can see my mistakes.....I did 4 coats and everything seemed fine but with the tank light and the water the sides seem kind of transparent :mad::(

Eddie
04-02-2010, 09:57 PM
AHHH......you should have told me it was latex! :o Spray paint is the best and even then, taping just above the rim keeps the paint from running down into the crevice. You can take the rim off but I find that too be a huge pain!

Eddie

JL15219
04-02-2010, 10:02 PM
AHHH......you should have told me it was latex! :o Spray paint is the best and even then, taping just above the rim keeps the paint from running down into the crevice. You can take the rim off but I find that too be a huge pain!

Eddie

Yeah I just figured it was all the same I didnt even think about it that the latex paint is kind of runny compared to spray paint.....well is it more of a pain to have to look at a bad paint job or taking off the rim....man this really sux...it kind of feels like I ruined my tank :mad::(

JL15219
04-02-2010, 10:11 PM
I was looking at your albums Eddie and I saw one of your tanks that is painted all white....it looked pretty nice....maybe I should I have painted it white....I could have bought some cheap white spray paint and not have all the trouble....but I did notice that the yellow pigeon discus that was extremely peppered has lost almost all the peppering well a very good majority of it.......maybe I should post some pics see what you guys think of the tank......

Eddie
04-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Yeah I just figured it was all the same I didnt even think about it that the latex paint is kind of runny compared to spray paint.....well is it more of a pain to have to look at a bad paint job or taking off the rim....man this really sux...it kind of feels like I ruined my tank :mad::(

Its always a good idea to ping the people of the forum when attempting to do anything with regard to your fish, tanks, equipment. I guarantee that its been done before. Don't fret, there are solutions. I did the same thing years ago! If you do not want to take the rim off, you can silicone a strip along the inside of the tank to make the drips not noticeable or you can put a substrate in the tank. Don't look at it as an end but now you know.

Eddie

JL15219
04-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Its always a good idea to ping the people of the forum when attempting to do anything with regard to your fish, tanks, equipment. I guarantee that its been done before. Don't fret, there are solutions. I did the same thing years ago! If you do not want to take the rim off, you can silicone a strip along the inside of the tank to make the drips not noticeable or you can put a substrate in the tank. Don't look at it as an end but now you know.

Eddie

Can you elaborate on "silicone a strip along the inside of the tank"....

JL15219
04-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Here is a pic of the whole tank:You can see how some of the paint seeped into the crevice at the top of the tank
http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t360/JL15219/HPIM1783.jpg

And here is a pic of my "ugly ducking" Discus...he is way lighter and lost almost all of his peppering I didnt even know this guy had white spots..
http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t360/JL15219/DSC00329.jpg

Eddie
04-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Well, you can't do it now and it will require you to have the tank empty and dry for at least a week. Basically, find a tank safe strip of plastic and silicone the strip along the back/bottom to make it look clean.

Eddie

JL15219
04-02-2010, 10:46 PM
I got another question the sides seem kind of transparent...wanted to know if I have to take all the discus and fish out to add another coat or can I just apply another coat with them in it and just cover the tank with something?

Eddie
04-02-2010, 10:54 PM
I got another question the sides seem kind of transparent...wanted to know if I have to take all the discus and fish out to add another coat or can I just apply another coat with them in it and just cover the tank with something?

Don't apply a coat with them in it. Just cover the tank with insulation of construction paper.

Eddie

JL15219
04-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Don't apply a coat with them in it. Just cover the tank with insulation of construction paper.

Eddieo
Yeah that is what I kind of thought....ok thanx