PDA

View Full Version : Sick discus - need help please

grahamu
04-04-2010, 12:29 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
The problem started this morning. I discovered one of my discus in a 45 degree downward facing position (partial head standing?), fins and tail are all moving very rapidly although it isn't really moving very far despite all the fin movement. It reminds me a bit of what you would do if you were treading water i.e. moving you arms and legs a lot but staying put. It looks like it is breathing rapidly also.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Symptoms as described above. No other obvious signs as yet.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Nothing tried as yet. Want to get some advice first. Immediate reaction is some form of parasite/worms so that might be my first line of attack.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

Established 120gal with 7 discus in it (including this one).

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

Tank has been running for 2+ years, sand on base all that time, water changes are 25% twice weekly. All has been fine in the tank with the above over those 2 years.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __84___

- ph __6.8___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading _10___

- well water __Yes__

- municipal water _No__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

None

pcsb23
04-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Any abdominal swelling on the fish?

What have you been feeding?

grahamu
04-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Hi Paul,

No, no swelling. I feed Hikari frozen foods (bloodworm, brine shrimp) so there's no dry foods to swell.

Thx,
Graham

PS Balance seems to be getting worse, it is even upside down at times now. I am definitely leading to a swim bladder problem for some reason. Going to do a water change and look at treating the tank with something.

pcsb23
04-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Might be better to isolate if you can. Bare tank and heater and look for a good antibiotic like kanamycin sulphate. If it is swim bladder I wouldn't be optimistic about fixing it, you have caught it early (I think) so may have a chance, good luck.

grahamu
04-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Thanks Paul - yes I'll move it to my quarantine/hospital tank and treat it there.

Graham