PDA

View Full Version : Stunted Discus??

Jen
04-04-2010, 01:13 PM
I recently exchanged one of my full grown discus for what i thought to be a juvenile......The full grown discus did not get along with any of the other fish in my tank....especially since most of them went into breeding mode.....So I have this gorgeous fish.....but i noticed after i had it home that its eye's looked a little big.....i don't mind if it get just a little bigger....a small fish is alright, because the coloring is so wonderful, but i noticed that it was starting to display breeding behavior toward one of my known females.....is it possible for a stunted discus to grow any bigger? This one is about the same size as my 5 month old juvie....will it get any bigger?

kaceyo
04-04-2010, 02:52 PM
It may be a little stunted but the eyes don't seem extremely large to me. Maybe a bit large, sometimes it's hard to tell in a pic. Not all stunted fish show the obviously large eyes though.
What is it's actual length?

Jen
04-04-2010, 05:31 PM
It's hard to tell it's actual length....i don't want to stress it out by taking it out of the tank and putting it on a towel, but i would guess about 3 1/2 - 4"
Oh....and any guesses to the strain of this fish....I have named it "Hades".....I thought maybe a Red Melon Pearl Dragon mix of some sort.....what do you think?

phatdave
04-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Doesn't look like a stunted fish to me.

Jen
04-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Well, I hope it's not.....It's really a beautiful fish......Would a juvenile display breeding behavior?

kaceyo
04-04-2010, 06:38 PM
It would have to be at least a young adult to show breeding behavior. I've had fish show breeding behavior at 6mo and I've heard of fish as young as 5mo breeding.

rickztahone
04-04-2010, 06:42 PM
i can't really tell but does the caudal fin have a hint of black?

Jhhnn
04-04-2010, 06:43 PM
What do you mean by breeding behavior? Shivering and cleaning a spot somewhere, or something else?

Jen
04-04-2010, 10:24 PM
i can't really tell but does the caudal fin have a hint of black?
The whole caudal fin is black.....its one of my favorite things about Hades....My Peal Dragon has the same caudal fin.......

What do you mean by breeding behavior? Shivering and cleaning a spot somewhere, or something else?
Yes "It" has been shivering at one of my know females so....yes obvious breeding behavior.....I asked at my LFS about the age of the fish and they told me they did not know.....They said the fish came from the Phillipines somewhere.....that is all the information they were able to give me

Jen
04-06-2010, 08:40 PM
OK this is actually rather amusing....i wish i knew how to post a video of this.....my little fish is doing a disco number on my very large know female who is a Cobalt.....She doesn't look like she knows how to react to it....it's hysterical.....so hopefully my little fish will get bigger.....i really hope so lol.....otherwise they really would be the "oddest" couple i have ever seen....a RedMelon mix crossed with a Cobalt....eeeek what would the babies look like :confused: