PDA

View Full Version : Kuhli Loaches with small Discus

Remora
04-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Yea or Nay?

I have two Kuhli Loaches that are about the length and width of a toothpick. Still very much babies in their own right. At the moment, I have them in a small 2.5g tank, and they've been doing well for the past two months or so. However, I wanna add them to my 90g Discus tank when I get it all set up, cycled, and prettyfied. I plan on having some little pots in the tank with a couple of plants, to give them something to hide in.

Would this be a good idea? They'll be the first in the tank, with lots of good food and converage. Will they be able to survive in the Discus' water parameters?

whitedevil
04-06-2010, 10:01 AM
the kuhlli's and discus wild world arent far apart, the kuhlli is an asian blackwater native, which is soft and acidic. Mine breed at 6.8Ph or lower.

The size of yours alarms me a bit. youve had them too long to be that size still. I had baby babies in january when I took out my UGF plate maybe MAYBE 1/2" long and more of a pencil lead girth, now they are hard to distinguish from the adults less their much lighter grey color.
I breed Pangio Oblongas aka "black kuhlli loach"

Remora
04-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Well, looking a bit more closely at them, they're about 2 1/2 inches, and MAYBE the width of the inside cartridge of a pen. They're still little to me compared to the Dojos in my GF tank. XD

whitedevil
04-06-2010, 10:46 AM
they will always be small to you then LOL.

I dont see why not, they are not aggressive at all unless attacked and fishhandled(RTS got into it with my oldest black kuhlli, rainbow died of its wounds and I think the kuhlli constricted it a bit too, I found the kuhlli wrapped around the RTS real tight.

I have mine in with angels in a amazon style tank and they are just fine, the angels just sit there and take the abuse fro mthe kuhlli's now before they used to swim away fast when they got hit now they sit there.

I am not sure with discus as they are a very fast moving fish and Ive noticed discus do not like sudden movements at all.

Remora
04-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the info!

The way I've got it figured is that the tank is gonna be a 90 gallon. Seems large enough to the point that my Juvie discus aren't gonna be too spooked by the half-pint kuhllis too badly, lol. I also intend on having some driftwood/potted plants in, and my kuhllis are usually content enough to just sit among the leaves and chill out. The only time I've seen em get really excited is when I haven't fed em for two days, and I pop open their little white food bottle, lol. :D:D:p