PDA

View Full Version : Should I get more?

dxiong5
04-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Hi everyone, first post here for me. I purchased one discus from a swap and really like it. Now I am looking for more because they are more of a social fish. The one I have is about 4" now and a local breeder has 1" juvies for sale. Is it a good idea to get the 1" discus and add it to my tank with my current one? I read somewhere (can't find it anymore) that adult discus give off a chemical or something that will stunt the growth of juvies.

I know I should have gotten more from the start, but didn't have enough cash on hand. I have my one discus in a 29 planted tank and am running RO for water changes. I also have one pair of half electric blue rams, one pair of bn plecos, and about 9 rummynoses in it as well.

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks!
Donny

rickztahone
04-07-2010, 12:41 AM
Hi everyone, first post here for me. I purchased one discus from a swap and really like it. Now I am looking for more because they are more of a social fish. The one I have is about 4" now and a local breeder has 1" juvies for sale. Is it a good idea to get the 1" discus and add it to my tank with my current one? I read somewhere (can't find it anymore) that adult discus give off a chemical or something that will stunt the growth of juvies.

I know I should have gotten more from the start, but didn't have enough cash on hand. I have my one discus in a 29 planted tank and am running RO for water changes. I also have one pair of half electric blue rams, one pair of bn plecos, and about 9 rummynoses in it as well.

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks!
Donny

welcome Donny. i would highly recommend that you only get discus that are in the same size range. also, in a 29g tank, you can't really fit more than 3 discus, and if you read up here you will find out that 1-4 discus is not the best numbers for discus. please read up here, mainly all of our stickies and you will be more informed. they are a lovely fish and it is great that you have an interest in them but please do some research and avoid some mistakes that most of us did as rookies. ask questions.

dxiong5
04-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks for your advice. True, the tank is a bit small; I've been thinking about upgrading to a 72 bow or 75. I will definitely search the forum for tips and experiences from others. Thanks again.

rickztahone
04-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks for your advice. True, the tank is a bit small; I've been thinking about upgrading to a 72 bow or 75. I will definitely search the forum for tips and experiences from others. Thanks again.

That sounds like a much better footprint.