PDA

View Full Version : Adding juvies with adults?

Greenheinie
04-07-2010, 09:18 AM
I haven't seen this asked lately, so I figured I'll give it a go...

What are your guys' opinions on adding juvies in an established tank which already has a couple adults (4" - 5")? I'd like a few more discus, but don't feel like dealing with a growout tank.

Will the new guys get bullied/not grow or will they school with the others? Or is it completely unpredictable. Any actual experiences are welcomed!

Thanks!

Eddie
04-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Its very unpredictable, can be a problem or it can work. Best thing is to have an option in the event it doesn't work. Alot has to do with the temperament of the adults and the juvies. The last time I did it, it was all fine since the juvies thought they ruled the world! ;)

All the best,

Eddie

diamond_discus
04-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Well, I recently added nine 2" juv to my community tank that already have a few 4" and 5" fishes. Everyone seems to be fine. The little one are actually more active. They will go all the way to the top to fight for food.

Like Eddie said, I do have another empty tank to use if it doesn't work out. I am just trying to save that tank for other use.

waters10
04-07-2010, 10:03 AM
I think if it's a couple of adults, against 4-5 juvies, it might work. But if it's 3-4 adults, against 3-4 juvies, it might be harder. Also, if the adults are mature and want to spawn, be extra cautious.

I have that same problem, with 3 mature adults looking to spawn. I'm about to add 3 juvies to this tank. I talked to a sponsor here and we agreed that adding 2" fish would not go well, so I got 3 3.5-4" juvies. They should be able to handle it better.

rich815
04-07-2010, 10:31 AM
It's implied but not explicitly said: do not forget to quarantine the juvies first!

ExReefer
04-07-2010, 10:40 AM
I had two 3" juvies with 3 adults. The juvies were doing great and growing well until two adults paired off and spawned. Now the juvies don't have the freedom to roam and feeding time is more favored towards the adults.

It can work, but like it was mentioned earlier, spawning behavior will cause lots of changes within the tank. To be honest, I wish my adults would stop spawning, but you can't change nature.

I moved the juvies to another tank.

darkknight87
04-07-2010, 11:10 AM
I actually had a grow out tank for my juvies..but there was something about the tank or the tanks location that they didn't like so they were stressed out. One day I added them to my large tank with about 6 4 inchers and 4 5 inchers, and they've thrived since I put them in there.

It just depends on the juvies and the larger fish/size tank

nc0gnet0
04-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Ok, I have been dieing to ask this question for a while now. What is everyones defintion of a Juvie? At what size does a juvie become an adult? Opinions?

diamond_discus
04-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Ok, I have been dieing to ask this question for a while now. What is everyones defintion of a Juvie? At what size does a juvie become an adult? Opinions?

My personal definition of juv is 2" to 3" ... any fish less than 2" are frys ...
any fish larger than 4" are adult (some people like to further group 4"-5", and than 6"+)

Greenheinie
04-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback and experiences all :). I'll take a stab at adding some youngsters to the tank.

Eddie
04-08-2010, 01:23 AM

Size is generally irrelevant as far as juvies go but in a perfect world, Larry's response below is correct IMO. Reason being.....some people have Adult discus that are 2". So in a round about way, fry until 1.5-2 months, juvies until 5-6 months, sub-adults until 8-9 months and then adults are generally whatever comes after 9.....;)

My personal definition of juv is 2" to 3" ... any fish less than 2" are frys ...
any fish larger than 4" are adult (some people like to further group 4"-5", and than 6"+)