PDA

View Full Version : Water Storage Containers

smallfin
04-08-2010, 06:18 AM
Hello

Just about to get a large water storage container for ageing water and was thinking about one of those large cube style 1000ltr tanks in the metal cage.
My main concern is the ability to wipe & clean it out every now and then.

Do most of you clean your water ageing barrels? Anyone using a cube and wishing they could clean it? or have an effective way?

Keen to stop using buckets!
Thanks in advance.

smallfin

whitedevil
04-08-2010, 09:16 AM
I got a non caged one, 45g capacity, its shorter and wider so I can get in there and wipe it out easily. I also put a heater in there.

I dont remember where I got it but its the same as what you are looking at without the cage. these tanks dont warp under the water weight and cage isnt really needed in our applications, the cage is more $$$.

smallfin
04-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks Whitedevil

The tank I was looking at was more like 260g so sounds like a bit bigger. Good to know you do clean it out though.

Cheers

Smallfin

acroken
04-08-2010, 10:12 AM
i have two larger storage tanks which i can not reach in and clean. it does not seem to get to dirty in there. i have found if i add any de chlorination additives to the tank and not use the water it gets slimy. I now just add the de chlor just prior to using. i do at times, maybe 3x year pp or bleach the tanks to clean them up. I do not think you should have too much trouble keeping them clean.

Kenny

AirCapital
04-08-2010, 07:05 PM
smallfin, hello there. you had mentiond a caged water container, that is right up my alley. what I have is a 220gallon cagged water container that started life as a 275 gallon but had to be cut down to fit threw my door way which was 30inches. I got it for 20bucks so I ran with it, its ugly but works great best 20 I have spent. inside my container is a pump that is connected to cpvc and ran though out my fish room in two levels with cross overs every 6ft or so to help with even pressure. each fish tank has a fill valve like the water spikket on the outside of your home to refill the tanks all of the pvc is ran in a loop and enters back into the water cont. and I let it drop from a few ft to help outgas the water and get the ph level. I clean my water container everyweek with pottasioum permaganate 10x what I would use on my fish so dark dark purple. I let it run threw all the pvc also. and then just drain and run fresh in and old out for 20mins or so. and thats it. you want to make sure to clean the container often it only takes 24hrs for bacteria to form and without chlorine your in trouble so more the marrier. you may notice the crazy thing puting water in to my container that is a DIY
Ozone Reactor and store bought ozone genrator for a spa. I use this to remove my high Chlorimines I have. I dont add chems no pre filters just straight from the tap into the container and it is good as gold all reads 0ppm for chlorine/chlorimines the ozone is mixed with water via venture injection and it takes 10watts to use.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/hellbent72/P2270001.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/hellbent72/P2280012.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/hellbent72/P2100195.jpg

smallfin
04-27-2010, 05:58 AM
AirCapital

That is one major setup including some pretty good home handy work.
I still havn't made my mind up what type / size of tank yet but if anyone else has ideas?
I've often seen people with a few blue drums connected together. Do you need a heater in each for these?

I've now changed my routine to only put the dechlorinator in a little while before using instead of when I fill the tank I have up after each WC.

Thanks
Smallfin

korbi_doc
04-27-2010, 09:29 AM
;) I'm using 2 white 50g drums for storage...fill'm with county water which has chlorine in it...airstone & heat for 24+hrs & it's ready to go...haven't even had to clean the drums after over a yr...prob cuz the incoming H2O is chlorinated...if I need to, my water pressure is so high the hose directed on it would do it with lil' bleach....don't need dechlor after the overnite air & heat...sure would like to someday set up a total system like Aircapital tho....so far it's easy to drain & refill with the hose while I watch tv, lol....JME

Dottie