PDA

View Full Version : Deworming, what to look for?

peterhql
04-09-2010, 05:26 PM
I started feeding angelsplus deworm flake. During this period, I've only fed their garlic flake and the deworm flake. After the second feeding, the next morning I found huge amounts of worm-like poos. They looked like individual dried out light brown blood worms, maybe smaller and shorter in length.

I've never seen them before, are these the worms I'm trying to deworm? I'm onto my last feeding tonight of the medicated flake, and I haven't found much more of these "worm things". Does this mean its working? Are those things really the worms I'm after?

The treatment on the package was to feed once a day, every other day, as a last meal. 5 total feedings

-Peter

Spardas
04-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Got a pic?

I'm thinking it's just regular fish poop if it's large and long and dark.

peterhql
04-09-2010, 05:41 PM
That probably would have been a good idea. No, they looked like.... freeze dried blood worms, as if I dumped in a 2 capfuls of them. Half of em were in the substrate the other half were in my prefilter in the morning. I've never seen anything like that before. I didn't see them poo anything out either as I think this happened over night.

mlov1022
04-09-2010, 05:41 PM
I started feeding angelsplus deworm flake. During this period, I've only fed their garlic flake and the deworm flake. After the second feeding, the next morning I found huge amounts of worm-like poos. They looked like individual dried out light brown blood worms, maybe smaller and shorter in length.

I've never seen them before, are these the worms I'm trying to deworm? I'm onto my last feeding tonight of the medicated flake, and I haven't found much more of these "worm things". Does this mean its working? Are those things really the worms I'm after?

The treatment on the package was to feed once a day, every other day, as a last meal. 5 total feedings

-PeterFrom what Dr. Eddie told me, you should feed the deworm flake exclusively for 4 days 4-5 times/day.

peterhql
04-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Jesus, if thats the case then I'm about 20 feedings behind.

joanr
04-09-2010, 06:40 PM
You'll be ok with what you did, for routine worming the flake is ok, dosing either way. I suggest giving them 1 teaspoon of Epsom Salts per 10 gal right before and after the treatment, helps clear them out. If you have a large scale infestation I'd suggest you use something in the water column like Vermisol ( Levamisole HCL) or Flubendazole, that will insure each fish in the tank gets a fair share of worming medication. From what I've read the Levamisole HCL will paralize the worms and then they get passed out, but it will not kill any eggs. OTOH the flubendazole based wormers will get the eggs also. I ordered the ANTI-INFUSORIANS ( Capilliaria Be Gone ) and the Paragone for Hex etc., from Tony at Sunrisetropicals. These meds are imported from Malaysia and are supposed to work very well. There is a concern about flubendazole reactions in some fish, the Vermisol is probably a safer choice. Just depends on your particular needs for worming.

Also, if you are just treating as a preventative a good week on the Garlic Flake will work wonders. I feed the Garlic Flake every other day for one meal of their 4.

Eddie
04-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Jesus, if thats the case then I'm about 20 feedings behind.

Definitely feed only the de-worm flake during the deworm cycle. Its actually directed to do so on the Angel Plus site and Steve recommends it. You reduce the effectiveness of the chemical by adding other foods.

Eddie

joanr
04-10-2010, 01:11 PM
But if you are dosing as the last meal of the day, every other day, for a total of 5 feedings, as the package suggests, then I would assume you could feed whatever in between those doses. The Metro flake OTOH is the flake that says to feed it exclusively. If dosing like Eddie suggests, then probably just feed the wormer flake. I'm more inclined to just get the worming over with and do the water column Vermisol treatment once a week for three weeks.