PDA

View Full Version : Vacation...hold my husbands hand

fishorama
04-10-2010, 06:45 PM
We going out of town for 6 days this week & my husband is very worried about "his" discus. Our fish are 3.5+ -5.5ish used to being fed 4-6 times a day. Our neighbor is our usual fish-sitter, we have her come over every other day to feed once. She is not a fish keeper, I package up food for each tank & don't ask her to change water or anything, too much chance of problems.

Please reassure him it'll be alright...me too. (ok I'm tearing up a bit :o)

LizStreithorst
04-10-2010, 07:10 PM
You have made sure that no errors can occure. You could have done the same with a good auto feeder set do give a smaller amount daily. The fish will be fine. Do a huge WC before you leave and do another big one upon returning. Have a blast and don't worry about the fish. As I said, the fish will be fine.

mmorris
04-10-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm sorry you aren't a bit closer, Nancy. But they will be fine.

blkrob
04-10-2010, 08:56 PM
I completed spring break with my family this week. We were gone for 12 days. I did the same thing. I had Jhhnn come over and look at them. I just wanted reassurance as you. I did a 90% w/c the prior day. I have 3 tanks and a total of 22 discus. My friend (non fish keeper) fed them once each day. I returned to all my fish alive and healthy. Even the heckels seemed to be issue free. I did a water change as soon as the family went to sleep. All is well and I'm sure it will be for you and yours also.

Robert

Jhhnn
04-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Now they're "his" discus, huh?

Funny how things work out some times.

Things should be fine when you get home. The only thing I could suggest is to print up a checklist for your caregiver friend, tape it to the front of the tank- check the temperature, check to see that the airpump is working, and so forth. Have a brief discussion of what to look for, a walkthrough...

Have a nice vacation...

hedut
04-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Just change 100% before you leave and make sure heater work;). have nice vacation

fishorama
04-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks all! I appreciate the reminder to have the temp checked, I'll need to find a spare heater just in case. Neighbor is a "professional pet sitter" so we do a walk through, she takes notes, I leave notes & food.

Jhhnn said "Now they're "his" discus, huh?" The discus tank is next to his computer, they & their care were an anniversary gift from me. He helps with water changes sometimes but try as they might, the discus can't get him to feed them very often. Almost 30 years ago we tried discus unsuccessfully so he's convinced he'll kill them.

Jhhnn
04-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks all! I appreciate the reminder to have the temp checked, I'll need to find a spare heater just in case. Neighbor is a "professional pet sitter" so we do a walk through, she takes notes, I leave notes & food.

Jhhnn said "Now they're "his" discus, huh?" The discus tank is next to his computer, they & their care were an anniversary gift from me. He helps with water changes sometimes but try as they might, the discus can't get him to feed them very often. Almost 30 years ago we tried discus unsuccessfully so he's convinced he'll kill them.

I misunderstood... spouses sometimes lay claims to things in funny ways... I'm sure I do it myself.

Complete strangers want to feed my fish, they way they dance up and own when anybody enters the room. They act like they're starving, even with food lying on the bottom of the tank. Like our cats- sometimes they don't want food, they just want service.

But, seriously, with a pro pet sitter, I'd say you have no worries...