PDA

View Full Version : Picky eater, live food only...

srusso
04-11-2010, 07:32 AM
Anyone know how to deal with discus would will only eat live food? Ways to easily have a safe supply of live food for them?

Sorry... could someone move this to food and nutrition...

brewmaster15
04-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Have you tried these yet...?

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=77064

Your fish may take these non-live hassel free substitutes.

-al:)

mmorris
04-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Mine prefer them over live.

srusso
04-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Cubed or loose?

Justice
04-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Cubed or loose?Try both, order one your first order and then the second time you order try the other, then you can decide which YOU prefer.

BTW the Discus LOVE one just as well as the other!

ILuvTropicalFish
04-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Cubed or loose?

Yes!, LOL. They both have their advantages. You can stick the cubes to the side of your aquarium and they will come after them. Of course, it is not long before they hit it enough that it is knocked loose. Then they just chase it and pick at it until it falls apart.

The loose ones float on top until the water current, or your hand, pushes it into the water column. I love them both. The loose ones seem to be bigger. Either one will float around the tank quite a bit before they go to the bottom. That is if they ever get to the bottom.

My fish took to these so fast that they don't last long before they are gone. I highly recommend either.

mmorris
04-11-2010, 07:38 PM
I buy the loose and squash it against the glass. Lots floats away, but the discus don't care. They attack it whereever it is.

jaykne
04-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Took a couple days my fish are not use to eating at the surface but now they only last a couple seconds, I can never drop a cube in there then only a couple fish get them never new a discus could take have a cube at on time:)

Eddie
04-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Cubed, but they end being loose after the first couple bites! LOL

srusso
04-14-2010, 09:05 PM
well, I got him to eat plain beef heart... I got a pound from stop and shop and used a cheese grater to make little worm-like bits. He eats this and loves it, as do all the others BUT I guess the REAL question is... How do you change a discus's diet? I am sure I could keep looking for more food he will eat but, I though I could at least ask.

joanr
04-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Introduce new food first feeding in the morning but after they have been up for at least a half hour. Feed lightly the evening before so they are real hungry the next day. This can take awhile but they will come around eventually. I have a fish that will absolutely not eat the Mal's Blackworms, but all the others devour it. Is the fish eating frozen bloodworms at all?

Eddie
04-15-2010, 02:52 AM
well, I got him to eat plain beef heart... I got a pound from stop and shop and used a cheese grater to make little worm-like bits. He eats this and loves it, as do all the others BUT I guess the REAL question is... How do you change a discus's diet? I am sure I could keep looking for more food he will eat but, I though I could at least ask.

Make a nice homemade mix, beefheart or seafood or combo. Spoon mix the beef heart worm like bits into it. This will get the fish to peck at the mix to eat the beefheart bits. Eventually they will start eating it all, mix included. ;)

Eddie