PDA

View Full Version : Dither fish

Disgirl
04-11-2010, 03:58 PM
I just set up my new 125 discus tank and moved my 12 discus into it. They went into hiding right away of course, behind the wood and few plants in there. I have never used dither fish before. But as soon as I put my 12 Rummy Nose tetras in there the next day, WOW, you should have seen the discus reaction. They came right out of hiding, chasing the tetras thinking they were food, and have been out and about ever since. Amazing to see what 12 tiny fish will do for 12 full grown discus. I am really surprised and after a few hrs. of chasing the tetras they gave up, realizing they could not catch them!
Barb:)

rickztahone
04-11-2010, 04:58 PM
I just set up my new 125 discus tank and moved my 12 discus into it. They went into hiding right away of course, behind the wood and few plants in there. I have never used dither fish before. But as soon as I put my 12 Rummy Nose tetras in there the next day, WOW, you should have seen the discus reaction. They came right out of hiding, chasing the tetras thinking they were food, and have been out and about ever since. Amazing to see what 12 tiny fish will do for 12 full grown discus. I am really surprised and after a few hrs. of chasing the tetras they gave up, realizing they could not catch them!
Barb:) Lol, don't be surprised if you don't find them there in the morning, discus love hunting at night

Disgirl
04-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Oh no! They did fine last night, hope they make it through tonight too. Won't the tetras hide in the plants at night for safety? I will go tell them to.
Barb:D

waters10
04-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Oh no! They did fine last night, hope they make it through tonight too. Won't the tetras hide in the plants at night for safety? I will go tell them to.
Barb:D
When I first added my cardinals (15) and rummynoses (10), my discus were able to kill one of each. Not swallowing whole, but able to bite them a couple of time and kill them. After the first night, the discus don't bother with them anymore, even though the tetras make sure to move when they see a discus coming!

Disgirl
04-12-2010, 02:44 PM
They have made it through 2 nights now and the discus don't even look their way anymore. Whew! That would be some expensive food if they ate them. Thanks for your replies!
Barb:)