PDA

View Full Version : Got my first pair!

Skillet_007
04-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Hey all, got my first pair. I have been reading for months about these guys and I was just wanting to let you all know what I am doing and for you all to give me your suggestions in what you would do, where I am failing, etc! Ok, so here goes:

20 gal tall tank, water 86 F, 3gh , ph 6.5. I am using a hob filter for now but I have a sponge filter in there now. Just want the sponge to start accumulating bacteria before I turn off the hob filter. I am feeding dry foods right now, but I have ordered some bulk frozen foods. I ordered beef heart and blood worms. I will grind beef heart, shrimp, and whiting fillets together and mix with some greens (haven't decided yet) and will make a gelatin mix. Only thing i don't know what to do yet is the breeding substrate. I have been thinking of buying cones but I have heard of people using pvc and I have a bunch of clay tiles that I could silicone into triangles. What do you all think? Again, thanks for reading and whatever advice you give. I'm pumped about spawning these fish!

Skillet_007
04-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Hmm, sounds like I'm off to a good start. I'll be sure to keep you all posted!

William Palumbo
04-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Hi Skillet. Congrats on the pair. Now the fun starts! First off for breeding pairs, I like the temp. on the low end, around 82. Seems I get better fertility with the spawns. I like PVC for a spawning medium best. But cones and slate works well also. If you have the tiles and they are aquarium safe...use them. A good BH mix helps. I don't add gelatain to mine...some do...some don't. What you put in it is up to you. Greena are good, as is fruit. HTH...Bill

prolude006
04-12-2010, 08:36 PM
I seem to find 81 or 82 degrees works the best for breeding although 86 will work fine.
I would keep doing water changes daily until you get eggs or fry and your sponge should be fine by then.
Just silicone two tiles up together like this /\

David

beat me to it William!!!

Skillet_007
04-13-2010, 02:17 AM
Thanks! The tile I have is clay, same thing used in flower pots. I'm just going to silicone a triangle. I'll be sure to keep you all posted

mmorris
04-13-2010, 12:32 PM
20 gal tall tank, water 86 F, 3gh , ph 6.5. I am using a hob filter for now but I have a sponge filter in there now. Just want the sponge to start accumulating bacteria before I turn off the hob filter. Only thing i don't know what to do yet is the breeding substrate. I have been thinking of buying cones but I have heard of people using pvc and I have a bunch of clay tiles that I could silicone into triangles. !

I think a 20 gallon is a bit too small, particularly for someone new to raising fry. I like the 29 gallon. I assume the hob has cycled media? Does the ph change after sitting 24 hours? If so, you'll want to age your water. What is your kh? If your kh is low (under 5)you'll need to add buffer. A pair and fry can put out quite the bio-load and you don't want a ph crash. No substrate, but you can add anything you like for the fish to spawn on as long as it is aquarium-safe. The more you spend, the more likely the fish will spawn somewhere else.